Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ7/EQ8 Tips, Q&A here! >

EQ7/EQ8 Tips, Q&A here!

EQ7/EQ8 Tips, Q&A here!

Old 06-12-2019, 03:28 PM

Watson....I am still fairly new to EQ8 but so far I am really happy with it. Designing stuff like crazy using my stash so lots of projects in the wings. I finally feel like I'm a bit more productive using my stash instead of it sitting there awaiting inspiration.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I had an odd thing happen in my EQ7. A few months ago, I downloaded a free design. It had been created in some other version of EQ, I think, but it did open in my EQ7. From then on, I noticed that the tools were now located at the bottom of the right hand column instead of at the top. Everything else seemed to work as normal, so I just got used to snagging the tools at the bottom right. In the last couple of weeks, though, when drawing a straight line in drawing a block, the line did not snap to my designated points... in fact it just moved a smidge off the point making the line not vertical or horizontal. I had not changed any of the settings for snapping to a point! This made it nearly impossible to draw a block correctly. Finally, I deactivated my EQ7, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and reactivated it. That didn't take too long. Now everything is working just as it should and the same as I had been used to with my tools at the top of the right column again. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has the same issue.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I had an odd thing happen in my EQ7. A few months ago, I downloaded a free design. It had been created in some other version of EQ, I think, but it did open in my EQ7. From then on, I noticed that the tools were now located at the bottom of the right hand column instead of at the top. Everything else seemed to work as normal, so I just got used to snagging the tools at the bottom right. In the last couple of weeks, though, when drawing a straight line in drawing a block, the line did not snap to my designated points... in fact it just moved a smidge off the point making the line not vertical or horizontal. I had not changed any of the settings for snapping to a point! This made it nearly impossible to draw a block correctly. Finally, I deactivated my EQ7, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and reactivated it. That didn't take too long. Now everything is working just as it should and the same as I had been used to with my tools at the top of the right column again. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has the same issue.
Where did you find your free design? Do you think that is what caused your problem?

I just don't want to do the same thing.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Where did you find your free design? Do you think that is what caused your problem?

I just don't want to do the same thing.
I honestly don't recall when/where I found it... you know... we all collect patterns we think we'll use later
Old 07-06-2019, 02:12 AM

What a bummer!! It is frustrating when things change on their own. I no longer have EQ7 on my machine but there should be a setting in preferences that allows you to move the tools from left to right and change the size. In EQ 8 it is File/Preferences/Display. Perhaps in opening the free file it changed your settings as if you had chosen to do so. There is also an option to "restore" back to all the orriginal settings in 8's Preferences as well. My guess is that EQ7 more than likely has similar settings. Anyways - glad you are up and running.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 PM

Will be following this thread as I just bought EQ7. I found it at a thrift shop for $2, so i thought I'd give it a try. Hope I can do it as I am not at all computer literate.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:12 PM

Ok so I have a question about printing from EQ on a Mac. I can't figure out how to print to PDF. When I print something from Word or any other program, the print dialog box has an option at the bottom to print to PDF, but there is no such option when I print from EQ. In fact, when I click "print" the dialog box simply flashes on the screen and it goes straight into printing on the printer.

So do I need to have a PDF writer installed on my Mac, and then I select that as the default printer in EQ? Or am I missing a setting somewhere?
Old 07-09-2019, 08:00 PM

Peckish, you are correct about having to have a PDF writer. In EQ7, the Print function goes to your "Print Setup" as your default printer. I have a free program called Nitro pdf which my computer sees as a printer but is a PDF creator and I have it set as my default printer. This creates my pdf file. Maybe we should suggest to EQ that they include a PDF writer as a part of their program. I would even like the option of a Text file.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-10-2019 at 02:19 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-14-2019, 04:14 AM

I've been upgrading EQ all these years and hadn't decided if I really wanted to upgrade to EQ8 but decided to go for it anyway. I didn't use it much so decided to take online classes to find out how to use it to its fullest. I'm still going thru the classes and have used some of what I've learned so far on one of my quilts that had me at a standstill. Its amazing what you can do and Kari even gives you an Excel chart to use to save the videos, PDFs and Facebook pages so if I want to go back to something, I just go to my Excel chart and click on it. I'm loving my classes and the videos are only 5 to 10 minutes long so not overwhelming. Don't know why I waited so long to take the classes.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for letting us know that these lessons are so valuable.