Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever "too much" quilting?

I had a real aversion to having a quilt finished by another person, but I really bonded with the woman who does the work at my LQS. I think you have to really speak up for your ideas.

Dkm
    Yes, I think the quilting can take over. I had a wall hanging done and let the quilter decide what was needed. (She has done all my work and I have been very pleased) until....she decided to use my piece as an advertisement for her work(with permission). When I got it back it was as stiff as cardboard. The work was beautiful, but it almost ended up being nothing but thread. Now I say, quilt as you see fit, but please don't quilt to heavy.

I have a wonderful LAQ who does what I want, and she very seldom does, meandering, but maybe in small areas. Hers is heirloom quality, and has been features quilter thru Northwest Quilters in the Portland area. She is a bit spendy but not over the top. She does beautiful work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue

I guess I feel like the fair thing to do would be to have separate categories for quilts that are hand quilted, home machine quilted, and hired out. Maybe some shows do that. I've really only been to the one.
    Most shows do separate those things out. In the big machine quilting shows, they even split out between the hand guided systems from the computer guided systems.

The goal is to have the quilting match the quilt, to have it complement the top. Too much quilting is just as bad as a beautifully pieced, intricate top that has been tied with yarn. (You don't want to get me started!!)
    I love your quilting. You add just the right amount and make each design, work with the quilt pattern. Good work

I have a long arm but I still prefer FMQ, not this robotic computerized quilting that takes over each inch of quilt top. I guess this is what makes the world go around. Different strokes for different folks!

Quote Originally Posted by moreland
    It seems as Long Arm Quilting becomes more and more accessible, the amount of quilting seen on laq quilts has exploded. I have to sometimes wonder if the quilting is trying to outdo the piecing/fabric/design. I am not a laq and I am not taking potshots at those of you who are, but I just wondered if anyone else ever thought about this. I am not convinced that having quilting on every piece of the fabric that is visible is necessarily the "best way"--I tend to feel like it becomes "one upmanship" between piecer and quilter.
    Do you think as we get past the initial rapture of now being able to quilt as much as we want to/can, that there will be more balance? Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks it is often out of balance???
    I thought I was the only one that thought that way.
    But I do love the LAQ designs. I think it has its place.
    If I am going to give a quilt to someone to love and use I usually stich in the ditch and then put something special on the boarders.
    But if the quilt is going to be displayed then the more decorative quilting the better.
    Just my opinion.

This is so true. But when you are in a show, competing with these computerized quilters, it is most difficult. Not worth the time. I like a little bit of fluff after it is washed not cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt3311
    I think the densely quilted quilts are mostly for show or to hang. I've seen some stunning examples of this and think they are mainly for entering a show.
    I've done heavy quilting on a few, but do not use those as bedding.
    When I do bedding, I pretty much put the same amount of quilting on as I would if I were still able to hand quilt the quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by RST
    I like a lot of quilting, but since I'm both the piecer and the quilter of all my quilts, it's certainly not about one-upsmanship. I don't find that my heavily quilted quilts are stiff at all, at least not after the first washing. A lot depends on the fabric choices and on the overall style of the quilt. I've never been fond of all-over automated quilting when it doesn't relate to anything else going on it in the quilt. Nor do I like a grid that's just there, regardless of the piecing or fabric pattern -- if I wanted to look at randomly placed grids, I'd display a mattress cover.
    SharonAnne --- everyone will have their own take on it, but in your piece above, I do think that the pale green squares would look great with a free motion tropical leaf design. I'd do maybe some matched thread loose stippling on the purple flowers and animal print, or wavy lines, and then outline the two leopard figures, again in matching thread, but otherwise just SID or simple grid to keep the focus on the dramatic images.

RST
    RST,
    I agree on yur quilting ideas.

Blog Entries
    I'm lucky.My LAQ & I agree on how much quilting is needed. I prefer less & she's never disappointed me.Guess we all have our own preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    I sent out one quilt to a LA, and told her to do less quilting, than what she explained she was going to do. When I got the quilt back , I was dissappointed , she had quilted over everything --covering up the designs on my blocks; it was so stiff and not at all cuddly. I will quilt all my quilts myself from now on .

This overkill with quilting gets to me too. In fact, I have emailed editors of quilting magazines complaining that it was almost impossible to see the actual quilt piecing due to the excessive quilting over it and if they did not print the design in plain colors, it would be difficult to see how to piece it. Needless to say, I have never heard back from them but I just needed to vent. The lights on the quilts glare and the pictures just show the quilt design contrast and not so much on the piecing. I suppose that is why you never get an email or website for the machine quilters printed in the magazine.

Blog Entries
    I think this issue is kinda like "chocolate vs. vanilla"...there is something for everyone. I happen to like fairly heavy quilting and I haven't found that it results in stiff quilts (thats a batting choice issue). I think that what bothers so many of us are the overall meandering done on quilts with NO regard to the design or piecing of the quilt. I agree with the poster who talked about the LAQ setting the parameters, then going to lunch. That isn't what I call "quilting"..I know it is, but....it doesn't seem to show much respect for the piecer. Anyway...this is always an interesting subject.

i have thought of this..i,personally dont like any heavy quilting..i do want to see the quilt first...but then to each his own

I like lots of quilting on my quilts, don't know why but I do. I ask my customers what they prefer and most of them leave it up to me. Now my daughter likes the looks of comforters and wants me to make quilts like that and I just roll my eyes at her.

Lovely quilt, as you asked for opinions I would outline the leopards and stitch in the ditch around everything else

Cheers
    Maybe1day

It is a personal preference whether or not you like dense or light quilting. The quilt should be stitched fairly evenly allover for a smooth effect (by hand or by machine).

IMHO sometimes the piecing is the emphasis, sometimes the quilting is the emphasis, and sometimes both are stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by Late Bloomer
    This overkill with quilting gets to me too. In fact, I have emailed editors of quilting magazines complaining that it was almost impossible to see the actual quilt piecing due to the excessive quilting over it and if they did not print the design in plain colors, it would be difficult to see how to piece it. Needless to say, I have never heard back from them but I just needed to vent. The lights on the quilts glare and the pictures just show the quilt design contrast and not so much on the piecing. I suppose that is why you never get an email or website for the machine quilters printed in the magazine.
    LOL!! I have to laugh (but not AT you). On the LA sites, the complaint is that we can't see enough quilting - especially when the customer wants it quilted "just like the book/magazine/pattern". This is especially hard when the top maker has seen the quilt in person. LOL!!

Blog Entries
    My husband doesn't like quilts to sleep under.He finds them "too solid" & we have a comforter he loves.Light & puffy,you hardly know it's there, but very warm.My quilts are on a quilt rack in the bedroom.He adnires my quilts, just doesn't want to sleep under them.:-)

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia77
    I like lots of quilting on my quilts, don't know why but I do. I ask my customers what they prefer and most of them leave it up to me. Now my daughter likes the looks of comforters and wants me to make quilts like that and I just roll my eyes at her.

:?: Quilting is supposed to bring out the beauty of the design of the quilt and you have to be careful not to forget who made the quilt. If you lose the design then the quiltmaker is forgotten and the quilt becomes the quilters.

SharonAnne, I love your 'cat' quilt. You ask how it should be quilted. How the quilt will be used is usually the deciding factor as to how much quilting it should have. I just think if things are quilted too close they become so stiff and not cuddly. If I do any machine quilting it has to be SID and I do that mostly for quilts made for my grand children because I know they are used and laundered a lot. For wall hangings the design determines how it is quilted. Those are usually my guidelines.

MNM

Quote Originally Posted by moreland
    It seems as Long Arm Quilting becomes more and more accessible, the amount of quilting seen on laq quilts has exploded. I have to sometimes wonder if the quilting is trying to outdo the piecing/fabric/design. I am not a laq and I am not taking potshots at those of you who are, but I just wondered if anyone else ever thought about this. I am not convinced that having quilting on every piece of the fabric that is visible is necessarily the "best way"--I tend to feel like it becomes "one upmanship" between piecer and quilter.
    Do you think as we get past the initial rapture of now being able to quilt as much as we want to/can, that there will be more balance? Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks it is often out of balance???
    A quilter friend and I were talking about this the other day. We thought that there was very little quilting on the laq quilts we had done. I am quilting my first quilt and I am tending to put to much on the quilt that is what started the conversation.
    Most of the ones I have had quilted have wide open spaces but they do look nice.
    MNM

I was taught that you have to meet the "integrety" of the batting when deciding how close/much to quilt. That means that each type of batting will give you the maximun area to leave between quilting stitches. Such as "recommended quilting x inches apart". The recommendation by the manufacture will prevent the batting from shifting or bunching up.

I agree that unless it's a show piece or something you just want to look at and not use to much the all over quilting is fine but for myself, I do as much as is needed to keep the thing from coming apart and get on to the next one.
    Sure they look pretty but not practical in my was of thinking.

I have been a hand piecer & hand quilter of bed quilts for a long time. Most of my quilts I consider showworthy & pieces of art because of the handwork - I think handwork is precise & it was the whole point to aim for precision, accuracy, tiny stitches, a coherent finished quilt, etc. I haven't completed hundreds of quilts either, but have made many, many special ones for my kids, when little, as they've become adults w/their own homes, g'kids, & many baby quilts, wedding quilts, graduation quilts, & other special occasion quilts for close family members & friends... But in the end they are to be used & loved for what they are - Bed quilts! (And I have tended towards old fashioned patterns w/lots of small pieces using homemade templates & scissors, one 5x24 gridded ruler & an Olfa cutter & small mat.

I don't go to a lot of shows mostly because we are so rural - but also because the last few I have traveled to, I was really disappointed at the lack of handwork. To me that is what quilting was all about. It's probably the old fashioned idea that it's something you do yourself from start to finish, most of the time w/what you have on hand - and it's not supposed to be a "hobby" that costs lots of money. To me what I see at shows is a lot of quilts that are definitely beautiful, but machine pieced & many times machine appliqued as well, or one of the many "quick methods" of applique anymore (in my day it was all needle turn, painstakingly slow hand work) & most crediting someone else w/the machine quilting - plus the whole new category of the art quilts that are thread encrusted, basically machine embroidery taking over the quilt tops. And totally done w/specifically bought "quality" quilting cottons that are way overpriced. It seems a lot of piecers don't like the whole quilting process from beginning to end. They just enjoy the process of piecing tops, lots of tops, & turn out lots of finished quilts as long as someone else is doing the quilting like it's not part of the process... It's become quite a business providing pre-packaged pattern kits or already matched up fabrics enuf to do an entire quilt - or the major motifs anyway, all the way thru someone else to quilt it! I'm not there... (if you couldn't tell...:)

Don't know if I explained that real clearly, but with that in mind...

I am also of an age where if I want to continue to quilt & go thru the process myself, I have to learn machine quilting & take advantage of the shortcuts w/machine piecing as I've been developing arthritis in my hands and will be lucky to finish off the last couple special quilts I've had in the works for years that I plan to quilt by hand. I tried my first baby quilt on the machine & came to the realization that I don't think I'd enjoy wrestling a king sized quilt thru the throat of my little White Jeans Machine. This year I have spent a lot of time on then internet researching & this summer I have purchased a short arm machine on a frame (thru Craigslist). Also found en excellent deal on a Juki TL98Q so I'm piecing w/that now & am having fun learning the basic edge to edge quilting on donation charity quilts, w/pantographs for now til I get comfortable w/free motioning without following the lines. I am at the very beginning of the very long learning curve - tho my quilting ladies of the guild I belong to are quite impressed w/the results & ready to hire me on to "do" their stacks of tops as soon as I feel like I'm ready to do that kind of work. Which really wasn't the point of learning this...

At this point, I'm putting together a couple machine pieced quilts solely for the purpose of practicing on the "longarm". Block of the months, Mystery quilts, scrap quilt patterns basically out of what I have. Not going to purchase anything major, other than when I find a pretty decent deal on fabric in colors or values I'm shy on as I haven't bought fabric in a really long time since I've been really focused on teaching jr hi for the past several years. They will be nice quilts when done - I'm too much of a perfectionist for them not to be reasonably well done, but not perfect. Close enuf that I'm not going to rip seams for a threads worth of missing a point, etc... I'm not making them w/a specific person or event in mind & am not making them w/any intention of turning out to be what I consider show-worthy quilts - tho they will probably end up being gifts. I don't think there will be too many that are simply left at stitch in the ditch, or outline stitching tho. Maybe that's part of the mindset that if we're using all these shortcuts, we should be seeing more on the quilt tops to dress them up - or make them more "arty" w/the quilting designed to set off the piecing designs by using more fillers & stippling, etc. and since machines CAN do it faster, it is possible to go back to those close lines of patterned quilting without investing the time it took for our quilting ancestors to hand quilt them in.

Well if you've gotten this far, hope this made sense. I'll get off my soapbox now & go back to practicing another pass or two on my machine/frame, & cutting pieces for a couple more 6" blocks for the Farmer's Wife Sampler BOM.

Dee
    Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    I personally don't like a lot of quilting on MY quilts. I have seen some very beautiful quilts that are COVERED in quilting though! I wonder if they are more for show? I think the more dense the quilting is the stiffer the quilt becomes, I wouldn't want to lay under a "blanket" of thread. I might hang it on my wall though.

To each their own though right?
    I fully agree with you. I myself do not like to see all the design. Why spend time and money making a beautiful quilt to put all that design on it. To me - less is better. :-)

Blog Entries
    What all of this discussion shows is that we are really lucky. It is wonderful that everyone doesn't have to like the same quilting design, therefore we are getting new designs developed all of the time. The same with fabric and quilting toys. If we all liked the same thing it would get fairly boring after awhile. Quite often I wish I still could have a full time job because I could have a lot more fabric, thread, and toys. But on the other hand I wouldn't have so much freedom to quilt when I want to.

I do like more quilting than SID. To me, it gets kind of boring. I don't mean that I am going to micro quilt, because I don't want to work on a quilt for several months. I do plan on doing a whole cloth and that will take much more time.

Right now, I am practicing on my quilt tops to get to the point that I can quilt for a few clients. I have been told to start, but I want to feel comfortable first.

I absolutely love all kinds of feathers and I practice those quite a bit. This does make for a quilt that has a lot of quilting, but they are beautiful and I like them. I also don't have a preference for SID many times because you get boxed in and I don't like starting and stopping that many times. It is nice to outline certain parts of the pattern. I also really like McTavishing in certain areas of a quilt.

Several people have stated that LAQ have not followed their directions in quilting. When I had my quilts finished by LAQs and I know at the LQS where I live, they do work orders that state exactly what you want so there is no question as to your preferences(It also has the size of the quilt, color of thread, type of batting, and what it will cost so there are no surprises). The LAQs that I know that have been told "do what you like" will decide on a plan and check with the piecer to make sure it is something that they would like. I would never just take a quilt and do whatever without a client knowing what I was planning.

Sometimes you do have to search for someone that you "click" with as stated previously.

All in all I still think we are very lucky that we have so many choices!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast