Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group? >

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 AM

Thank you all for the ideas. I am reading along, but also being good and getting outside and stuff done. I need to save so we can add on to our house (going to Home Depot today). But, I also just need to keep in under control in general, even if I did have more room. When I get a chance I think I'll go through and make a better list of the tips for stopping the addiction so that we all can benefit from them. Happy Sunday all!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
The only things that have stopped me are 1) being unable to walk, and 2) not having money. God help me if I ever learn to shop on the web. I have bought a few things that way, but very few. I really like being able to touch the fabrics before buying.

I need to use up what is in the house before buying more.
LOVE your avatar. Is there a pattern?

I stopped buying fabric last year, and except for the 'thank you' quilt I'm finishing, I haven't bought any fabric. I still have enough stash to outlive me. And DD keeps giving me old clothes for scrap quilts. I don't think that counts as 'buying - although it does build my stash. I use my Accuquilt to cut patchwork pieces.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:12 AM

Hello, my name is Donna and I am a fabricaholic. I have been on a forced diet due to unemployment. I have been working from my stash. My problem is, I have found a job, got my first paycheck and right now there is no money in the budget for fabric, but I still want to get some! Oh, woe is me!!!!! So I have a plan, maybe it will help others. My fabric stash is in bins. I am going to sort the fabric into project piles and look for patterns for them if I don't have something in mind already. I have finished most of my UFOs to the point that the top is done. I am saving money for long arm quilting them. If I feel the need to buy fabric, I am going to go "shopping" in my project piles, pick one out and do something with it. I think this will keep me going until I can get fabric again. But it's sooooo hard! My other idea was to get fat quarters when they go on sale. That way I can buy fabric, but not spend too much. I have kits I have purchased in the past that have not been opened yet, another way to play with "new fabric". Any other ideas? I get those emails from fabric sites too. Right now I just delete them without looking. I don't think I want to unsubscribe...yet.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 AM

OOOO...I would get into so much trouble if a LQS did this around me! And I love buttons and know lots of knitters and crocheters!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by kay carlson View Post
My DH asked me a question a few weeks ago. "Are you buying something just because it is a bargain?"

That is what I have been asking myself and the question makes me stop and think. Now, I have been in this mode for only a short time. but during this same time period I have been uncluttering our home.
Smart girl. Buying on sale doesn't mean you saved money unless you put the difference into a saving account on the way home. Otherwise, you have only spent more money.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 PM

Yngldy, I like your idea of shopping with your stash. I, too, am a fabricaholic, and I need help also. I retired two years ago and my husband was forced to retire as of this month. Things are going to be very tight, and I have to stop shopping. If I don't get to a store, I shop on line. Unfortunately JoAnn is 3 miles from my house. I'm going to need help too!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:24 PM

I am not a fabriholic...I am a fabric collector!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:07 PM

I'm afraid I've got the bug .... I've only been sewing/quilting since Christmas and already have a bookcase FULL of fabric I just HAD to have! I have 12+ projects ready and waiting (and of course, I always buy more than what I need 'cause I WANT to have left-overs).
Old 04-28-2013, 05:45 PM

I'm so glad you took that post the way you did. Sometimes people are offended if you insult the place where they live. I know the scenery is beautiful, almost breathtaking there. It always took my breath away when we came over that ridge and saw the bottom of the valley. I actually thought of living there for a moment. But now I am glad I live where I do. Surrounded by Amish and most of them are quilters. All we ever do is have fun.

Tater Patch Quilts.....been there!!!!! when I was back visiting the folks. Owned by two women. Very helpful. Bought a pattern I still haven't made. My main addictions it to patterns. Tom Palmer's widow had something to do with a quilt shop there. Is she one of the owners?? I'm getting so old I am forgetful.

For all you other wonderful quilters out there that may wonder about Foxflower's mentality, in Modoc County, CA there are more DEAD rattlesnakes on the goat trails than there are people in the county. (And I'm just counting the dead ones.) The music is provided by packs of coyotes running in the hills overhead as they chase the jack rabbits and pheasants. The smells are the algae on the alkali lakes and flats. There really is a wild, wild West still out there and Foxflower lives in the middle of it.

Save the 2nd ammendment. You are gonna need a carbine if you go there.

Marcia
Old 04-28-2013, 06:45 PM

Its really bad when you go to a church clothing drive were everything is free. I look for potential fabric in everything and got some good fabric and or ideas for their use. Old wool clothing is my downfall, I will either deconstruct and felt or use for purses/quilts. That creative muse is my downfall.