Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group? >

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by bunbytes View Post
LOL - I found the secret to this dilemma - comic book boards. I now have over 1000 pieces of fabric wrapped around the boards. It saves so much space and looks so good! Yesterday, a friend came over to work on charity quilts with me. She just loved "shopping" my nice neat stash. Oh, by the way, I'm headed out to Hancocks today to hit their sale. And yes, I, too am a fabriholic, big time!
I was so bad yesterday after I posted this. Went to Hancock (had a 30% off total purchase coupon) and had a really good time. BUT it wasn't all my fault. We had horrendous storms yesterday and I was kind of marooned in the fabric store (what a shame) because it was raining so hard. What also didn't help was the clerk who kept "suggesting" more fabric. Just about everything was also on sale, so with the coupon it wasn't awful. So I came home and diligently wrapped the fabric around my comic book boards. Most of the fabric will be used for charity quilts.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:00 AM

Pat mentioned the hoarders program on TV. One of the funniest threads on the board was when someone mentioned there was a fabric hoarder episode. Everyone wanted to see it, so there was a flury of dates and times exchanged. Well, the general consensus was that she really didn't have so much, she just needed to organize it. I don't think she even was in competition with some of us on the board.
Have you ever noticed that some of the most popular threads on the board are about how to store, purchase, and organize our stash? If there are pictures included even better. Yeap, into STASH TALK.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:09 AM

I have the same disease and it is so bad I know it is out of hand. I have started a major cleaning...Yesterday I cut my scraps into 2 1/2 inch strips...I put all left over blocks together...it took me all day but I now know what I have in that container...I am going to do one container at a time and then I am going to put together Kits for the quilts I want to make. I am desperately trying to stay out of the LQS except when I need to purchase fat quarters for that really delightful swap. I am basically a very organized person so all of the fabric is overwhelming to me. I am hoping my latest idea (cleaning and sorting) will work.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by omacookie View Post
You don't have a problem but you have a blessing. Think of ALL THAT FABRIC > Make a few give away quilts. Youmust give to make room for NEW FABRIC . Hugs
I've found that making pillowcases to donate eats up a lot more fabric with a lot less effort than a quilt! I've used up a lot of my stash that way.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:30 AM

I decided to really try to not buy any fabric this year and just use what I already have. Well, that worked until I decided to try to make Paula Nadelstern's snowflakes. I just did not have any proper fabric for that process. So I did break down and bought some for that, but anything else, I'm going to stick to not buying any more.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:33 AM

I work 6 days a week 2pm to 10pm and never have enough time to really sit down and enjoy my sewing. But Wal-Mart is open 24 hrs so I can go there anytime and get fabric, ours Wally World got rid of the fabric department a couple of years ago and suffered a great deal because of it. They also got alot of people bad mouthing the managers. They brought it back. Now my son is dating a girl who works there, who has offered to use her 10% discount when ever I need it. She doesn't quilt but she wants to learn and so does her 10 yr old dd. But I have been reading everyones comments and keep laughing and thought I would post a link to a video Eleanor has on her web site. Enjoy and laugh along with me please.

http://vimeo.com/13684735

I am surrounded by enablers, my daughter has requested that I keep making quilts for her in any array of color, my step daughter is always asking me to make baby blankets for her friends, my neighbor has asked for a quilt but brings me all kinds of fabric that she has found at yard sales. She went to a yard sale a few weeks ago and came and got me and we went back together. I had ton's of fabric, machines, quilting tables, rulers, etc. Plus I am given joann cards constantly. If I could only find the time to go there. Have fun and enjoy the show. lol
Old 04-28-2013, 06:55 AM

I have found through the years that if the money isn't there, one doesn't buy fabric. Take your monthly allowance for fabric and divide it into 4 envelopes and put them in a safe place. Hide your credit cards also. Then, do not buy anything for as long as you can stand it. Go to envelope # 1 and spend part of it--not all. Put the part you did not spend into the budget for necessities. Gradually you should be able to wean yourself from overspending.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:34 AM

Petthefabric- happy belated birthday, hope it was a great fabric filled day, or at least a great day.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 AM

I am not trying to be flippant but just as you unsubscribing to online fabric shops .... don't go into fabric shops unless you need a specif item. Then reward yourself with something for not shopping such as tea or coffee with a friend or a bubble bath. Do let us know from time to time Foxflower how you are doing. We all have our addictions and we all need folks to stand by us when we feel weak and to celebrate with us when we are strong. Keep in touch.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Dear Foxflower, You poor, dear, sweet quilter. My heart goes out to you. The reason you think you are a fabriholic is that you live in the most isolated places in the world. I was raised in Tulelake, Ca which I thought was isolated until one day we went to Surprise Valley. You live at the end of a goat trail in a tiny valley where there are no facilities. No wonder you have a stash and keep adding to it. You need that as security in case that road that leads to Surprise Valley has a landslide or something. You are probably stuck there all winter.

I finally got out of Tulelake and now live in Indiana where I can hit LOLLYS and YODERS DEPT STORE within 8 minutes. You are lucky you can even get fabric where you live. Just keep buying it and enjoy yourself. As for the room, get more space bags.

Marcia
Oh, Marcia. You just gave me the best laugh, and I'm still giggling. Sometimes I feel we aren't even on a goat trail....more like a rat trail. I actually enjoy living here, but we are very isolated. Today we are getting out of town and heading too.....K Falls. You know, you could come back to Tulelake because right next door in Merrill is a fabulous LQS called Tater Patch Quilts. It's huge. Luckily I only get there about once or twice a year, and generally don't have much time. Today is Sunday so they're closed. Plus, my hubby is with me. He's more than happy to help me stop buying fabric! He got a huge laugh from your note too. Thank you!