Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group? >

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Old 04-27-2013, 06:57 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I'm a fabraholic and I shop online due to my quilting store closing. I shop online and fill my cart and start to check out, but then I just stop before I put in my credit card. I feel so much stronger when I do that. But a day later they will write me and tell me I have items left in my cart. I ignore the messages and they leave me alone. I guess I should go and delete them but I'm afraid I might get back into the mindset of wanting to buy the items. But this works for me. I always have a big 'sigh' of relief when I shut it down before putting in my card info.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 PM

I have more then enough, I buy usually only to finish a project and once in awhile for a special treat. Today I started fillinf a 30 gal lawn and leaf bag to send else where. I might fill two.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by QM View Post
I have been a fabriholic for at least 50 years. The solution is to sew faster.
I like this!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:19 PM

My DH asked me a question a few weeks ago. "Are you buying something just because it is a bargain?"

That is what I have been asking myself and the question makes me stop and think. Now, I have been in this mode for only a short time. but during this same time period I have been uncluttering our home.

With the success of clearing out extra belongings which have gone unused, I feel a new sense of freedom and accomplishment. Granted, it has taken me too long to get to the point where I want to downsize and create open space. Straightening up things is becoming a regular routine habit.....without constant reminders.

Now, when I go into a shop I feel less apt to purchase something unless it is for a specific project in progress. It is more fun shopping my stash because I am not spending additional money. Good luck!

Last edited by kay carlson; 04-27-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:06 AM

Hi! My name is Sherrill and I am a fabric-holic. I have decided I simply MUST stop this. Hubby and I just "downsized" our housing, and my new sewing room is now about 25% of the size of my old one. I'm OUT of room! Luckily, with the move, I was able to sort out what I do have, and take photos so I pretty much know what's in each tub,box, bag and etc. and how to find it. We are downsizing everything from the old house, so I need to downsize my stash. My weakness is "focus" fabric that I absolutely fall in love with and must have. So enough of that, and now I swear to only buy fabric I absolutely need and do not have in my stash in order finish a specific project. Getting rid of the subscriptions to the on-line stores is a great idea, and will be my first step. Plus joining the moratorium.

I went through last year's credit card receipts and was appalled by the amount of money I spent on fabrics. I have decided to buy a light, basic sewing machine to take to classes. I have a Janome MC 9700, and it's awesome! But a pain to drag around because it's so heavy. So the pressure is on! The more I can save by not buying fabric, the more I can set aside for a "traveling machine". Any fabric I do buy has to come out of the new sewing machine fund, and thus spending it on fabric will delay when I can buy my new (or more likely: used) machine. See! A built in incentive!

Organizing the fabrics I have also made me realize what beautiful fabrics I already own. I don't want to change, but I must! So if you're starting a Quilter's Anonymous Group, I want to join! I need all the help and support I can get!

Last edited by MacThayer; 04-28-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:47 AM

I am stinking to my original plan, while I do have a very modest stash (just in case I need a pop of color or decide to switch out a color from a precut kit), I promised myself to only purchase fabric for a specific project. So far it has worked well and like some of you, I don't have a lot of storage space or a sewing room.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:06 AM

My name is Kay and I'm a fabriholic. The last time I got disgusted at my overflowing stash, I went through and sorted it all out. I filled a few small containers with projects, (I have nine of them ready to go with all the coordinating pieces and the pattern in a plastic bin) then I organized the rest according to style of fabric. Childrens, babies, black and white, patriotic, spring, you get the idea. After all that I didn't want to add one more piece to that room!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:18 AM

Retirement put a huge crimp in my fabriholic behavior, Then I moved to a small town with only a couple fabric stores that are so over-priced I'd have to resort to bank jobs to support my habit. But I gave that idea up for 3 very good reasons=1-I'm a bit claustrophobic 2-I look horrible in orange 3- getting out of a jumpsuit to go potty would take way to long LOL
Old 04-28-2013, 04:37 AM

Dear Foxflower, You poor, dear, sweet quilter. My heart goes out to you. The reason you think you are a fabriholic is that you live in the most isolated places in the world. I was raised in Tulelake, Ca which I thought was isolated until one day we went to Surprise Valley. You live at the end of a goat trail in a tiny valley where there are no facilities. No wonder you have a stash and keep adding to it. You need that as security in case that road that leads to Surprise Valley has a landslide or something. You are probably stuck there all winter.

I finally got out of Tulelake and now live in Indiana where I can hit LOLLYS and YODERS DEPT STORE within 8 minutes. You are lucky you can even get fabric where you live. Just keep buying it and enjoy yourself. As for the room, get more space bags.

Marcia
Old 04-28-2013, 04:51 AM

I delete all emails that might entice me to buy without reading, and have deleted some. I don't go to a fabric store unless I have an actual project and don't have in my stash what I need. I don't wander around the store, I go and get just what I need and get out of there. This week is the first time I've bought fabric since last fall and that's because I just got to ask to make several purses, lunch bags and some wallets for Christmas presents and need specific fabrics. I only bought a little and only what I would use to complete my own lunch bag and what will be used on the others. Will still search thru all of my stash before buying fabric for orders. I'm trying to also finish WIP as well and that's going really well. I just found out how easy it is to FMQ using my Diamond Deluxe, no tension settings nothing, I had no nest, no broken threads and my stitches even though when I look close I can see the mistakes, but just in glancing, it looks even. So excited and now motivated even more to finish up.