Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group? >

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Old 04-27-2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sandrea View Post
My name is Sandrea and I am a fabriholic too. I see, I llike, I buy.....don't know what I will make with it....just - I like and will think of something later. But when I do think about using it and cutting it up, I tell myself I should go buy something else and "save this one for just the RIGHT project". Does anybody else do that?
YES! That's it exactly.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tudey View Post
Wouldn't a recovery group mean we are trying to STOP?
Yep, that's why I started this thread. I even unsubscribed from another website this morning. I'm unsubscribing as I get new emails.

Some people are addicts but the habit isn't as destructive to them personally, so they don't need to stop. I need to stop, at least until I've completed projects and made room, or until I actually NEED a yardage to complete something.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Foxflower: What is the height to safely pile fabric? I don't want to make the headlines in our local paper, "Local Woman Expires, But Goes Happy." LOL

I don't know! But I figure I might be able to safely stack it to about 8 inches less than my actually height. That way if it falls my head won't be crushed.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the ideas, anymore?

Adding to the list of tips....what number am I on now?

7. Use what you have and replace by half. (that's a fun little ditty)
8. Don't buy on spec (Not sure that'll work for me, but maybe somebody else).
9. Put the fabric in your cart (physical or virtual). Leave it there for awhile, pretend it's yours, then walk away. (I've actually done this a bit. It can help. Sometimes it's the total at the bottom of the shopping cart page that reminds me.....I do not need to spend this right now! I do not need this fabric!)
Old 04-27-2013, 09:57 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Just start sewing craftin and quilting .. then you can buy more .. LOL after you either sell your stuff or give it away .. LOL (that is what my DH told me .. LOL)
Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 AM

I'm a fabricaholic too. I made a New Year's resolution two years ago and again this year that I would NOT buy any more yardage to start anything new until I had made up a bunch of what I already had. I have done so well sticking to this. I do not open any emails from fabric stores. I delete them immediately. I have completed several big projects and hope to do many more before even thinking about buying a complete set of fabrics again. I have ordered bits and pieces to complete a project, but other than that, I'm being really successful. You have to make up your mind and really intend to stick to it. I was running out of storage containers and cabinets. It was just totally out of control and ridiculous. You can do this!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:42 PM

thank you kykaren. It's nice to hear there are people sticking to it.

Caswews....that is what I need to do.

I was thinking that I have some messed up thinking about this. I really only got back into sewing 3 year ago. I had a few scraps from past/beginning projects and scraps I'd bought at a thrift store but no real stash to speak of. Then I found myself at home with with small children and began to connect with the online community....notice my join date. I made a quilt with scraps and purchased white yardage. I want to make more stuff but didn't have enough so I started to COLLECT! And wonderful friends and family began giving me stuff. In my defense, I didn't keep it all. I shared and am still sharing. Now I have to stop collecting/hoarding because I have a solid stash built (I generally buy 1/2 yd cuts or larger and people give me all kinds of sizes). I am really completely out of room. I have a couple bags and boxes in my small living room where I sew. There are backings and batting stashing in corners. I have collected flannel for backings even. So, big realization.....I don't need to build the stash anymore.....It's DONE! I will still accept gifts and pass on what I won't use, but I don't need to actively buy.

The end of the moratorium is in Nov. That's my birth month, and only 7 months away (I counted). That's my goal. No more fabric purchases unless NECESSARY to complete a project (like running out of the sashing or background fabric), and even then I will try to use what I already have. In November I'll set a budget and allow a birthday purchase of something fabric I REALLY want.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:56 PM

I watched a few episodes of Hoarders last night..I can see me there in a few years, with nothing but fabric around me, if I don't get a grip on this!! Since the new year, I have made a twin quilt, and 2 over sized lap quilts from my stash. i also made most of my daughters prom dress from stash too! The quilt I am working on was a specific request for a graduation gift, so I bought fabric for it. Then back to stash busting!! Being home all day because of a disability, I can't get to the fabric stores often, but the online market can be a killer!! So----I plan to use all my time to sew and not buy!!
Old 04-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Banned

The only online place I every spend much time looking at the fabric
and finding it HARD NOT to buy is Connecting Threads. I love the feel
of their fabrics.

Like some others said I like to feel the fabric, so I seldom buy it online
unless I KNOW the quality, and feel of it (like CT).
Old 04-27-2013, 02:11 PM

I hate to give you the bad news but I don't think there is any help for you!! LOL. I will have to tell you a cute story. I was taking a class and my husband was waiting just outside the door about 10 minutes b4 the class was to be over and there was this other husband waiting too and he was rather disgruntled about the whole thing. Just kept complaining and complaining.. Well my husband is quite the comedian so he tells him straight up, well you might just as well divorce her cause she isn't going to give this up, not way. It really Peed the guy off. I thought it was funny as hell! Oh, my husband had some advice for you. He said you need to add a room addition for you fabric.

Last edited by duckydo; 04-27-2013 at 02:14 PM.