Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group? >

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 PM

My DH is almost as bad as I am. I went shopping for a certain color of fabric, he sees fat quartes and jelly rolls and asks what they are used for. We bought 4 of each.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:50 PM

I am definately one....I have just ordered more from Connecting threads.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 PM

Okay, here's what I've got so far.....

1. Enjoy what you have, play with it to avoid getting more.
2. Unsubscribe from fabric store emails (I think I can handle the catalogs).
3. Stay away from fabric stores, and websites. (No stores around here, check. Unsubscribed from a couple today already, check).
4. Make a fabric budget. (I need to think about what that would be.)
5. Make a goal of how long to wait before another purchase (i.e. moratorium thread.)
6. Find support of others with similar goals (well, joined the moratorium and talking to you lovely folks.)

Is that a good summary so far? Any other tips? I think I'm already going through withdrawal.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:30 PM

1. I got rid of all credit cards. Must pay cash, or planned check. I have to ask DH permission to use his CC, so it has to be really special to ask-stops on-line purchases.
2. Save up cash and plan to spend it at a special time (on a trip, at a quilt show) or for a planned project. Got a retreat planned at Tahoe for end of June. Just heard this idea: save every $5 bill I get.
3. I shop in my stash
4. I cruise the store, then seriously think of the stash I have at home (which often is more to my liking then what I find in stores)
5. I plan money and projects for when I get to go to my favorite LQS which is a 4 hr drive away.
6. I leave my purse in the car.
7. I shop on one trip without any purchases, then have to make another trip on a different day to buy.
8. I give myself permission to buy on my birthday, which by the way, is TODAY (got 20% off, used a gift card, YEH. I'm really special on MY day).
Old 04-26-2013, 09:41 PM

I joined the moratorium over a year ago and feel very good about it. What pushed me into it was my advancing years and heart problems. I feel guilty knowing that my daughter, who has no interest in quilting, will be the one to deal with all this stuff when I'm gone. It's relatively easy to just buy fabric needed for backs or borders. If Hobby Lobby still had the same quality, selection and prices that they had 10 years ago I'd be in a world of hurt, however.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:49 PM

One thing that might help is putting things in a wish list and not into your shopping basket on line. Then periodically check back and seeing if you still want them/it.

Often times the desire to buy that particular item/book/fabric has abated and you can get rid of it out of the wish list or just never finish the purchase and you're okay.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:23 PM

Must look up the monitorium thread. I have a double problem not only a fabraholics but a bookaholic. I love fabric so I by from local shop 3 miles away. But I'm mad about magazines books etc. I purchased last year a new 6foot high bookcase. It is full with more books/ mag not fitting. I try to limit both each week but hopeless. Oh addicted to notions as well.
No hope really . I'm H A P P Y , I'm H A P P Y ................forgot the rest of the song ....... In othe words addicted to quilting.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

The economy has curtailed my addiction somewhat. Two LQS in my county have closed. While I do shop on line at times, I refuse to pay shipping so unless my friend and I are both in need of something in particular and we can qualify for free shipping, I don't order alone... There can be strength in numbers
Old 04-27-2013, 04:42 AM

Nancy, where did you join that club...is it the club I started on MQP.com??? Debbie
Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

My DH found 2 bags of fabric last night I purchased yesterday. The total on the receipt was about $50.00. He saw the coupon credit and said "you did well. $50 after saving $10." I always try to use a coupon since I'm within a 2-10 minute drive from the fabric stores. I also manage a couple of remnants on sale and that shows a savings. If he sees a savings. He learned along time ago not to say anything. He got into my stash and used some newly purchased I was going to use. When I went back to replenish the material wasn't on sale and I bought double. A little for him and mostly for me. If he goes to WalMart he usually comes home with something he thinks I might like or he likes. So I guess we are both fabriholics. Better than alcoholics.