Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group? >

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Old 04-27-2013, 05:31 AM

You could always send me some and make room.LOL
Old 04-27-2013, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Foxflower View Post
Hello, my name is Foxflower, and I'm a fabriholic. This isn't probably the best place to ask for help though.

Seriously, I'm totally out of room, don't need anymore, but still buy it. I've gone on fabric diets before and I use scraps and fabric given to me. I need to use the money for other things.

Is anybody with me on this? Have you found anything that cuts down on your purchases?

One of my downfalls I think is email subscriptions to websites selling fabric. Soooooo, as a first step, I'm going to unsubrscribe from email from fabric stores. If I need them I'll know where to go. If I don't need frabric then I don't need a discount code, right?

Any other suggestions.....?????
LOL - I found the secret to this dilemma - comic book boards. I now have over 1000 pieces of fabric wrapped around the boards. It saves so much space and looks so good! Yesterday, a friend came over to work on charity quilts with me. She just loved "shopping" my nice neat stash. Oh, by the way, I'm headed out to Hancocks today to hit their sale. And yes, I, too am a fabriholic, big time!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:01 AM

I've just shopped my stash to make a couch throw sized quilt this week. The backing will also come from my stash along with the batting. This "shopping trip" will actually leave a small hole on one shelf. So many times the problem isn't that I don't have fabric - I just don't have the right shade or enough of a certain piece so "have" to buy more. I'm really into scrappy quilts right now and that helps!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:01 AM

My name is Sandrea and I am a fabriholic too. I see, I llike, I buy.....don't know what I will make with it....just - I like and will think of something later. But when I do think about using it and cutting it up, I tell myself I should go buy something else and "save this one for just the RIGHT project". Does anybody else do that?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
My DH found 2 bags of fabric last night I purchased yesterday. The total on the receipt was about $50.00. He saw the coupon credit and said "you did well. $50 after saving $10." I always try to use a coupon since I'm within a 2-10 minute drive from the fabric stores. I also manage a couple of remnants on sale and that shows a savings. If he sees a savings. He learned along time ago not to say anything. He got into my stash and used some newly purchased I was going to use. When I went back to replenish the material wasn't on sale and I bought double. A little for him and mostly for me. If he goes to WalMart he usually comes home with something he thinks I might like or he likes. So I guess we are both fabriholics. Better than alcoholics.
So does your husband sew?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:11 AM

Wouldn't a recovery group mean we are trying to STOP?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:06 AM

Foxflower: What is the height to safely pile fabric? I don't want to make the headlines in our local paper, "Local Woman Expires, But Goes Happy." LOL
Old 04-27-2013, 07:31 AM

Here's a couple things I do (and sometimes they even work, LOL!):
1. If I'm at the store I'll put what I want in my cart and wander around with it for a while. That makes me feel like it's mine. Then I put it back and leave the store, happy to have "owned" it for a few minutes.
2. If I'm online, I keep a folder in my email called retail therapy/fabric & fabric sales. When I find something I want I copy/paste the link and send it to myself, then file it in my folder. I can go and look at the fabric any time I want, and it gives me that feeling of it being mine. Since I have the link, if I REALLY decide I need to buy it, I know where to get it. I also put online fabric sales in the folder and often the expiration date passes without me having purchased anything. With the pressure off of having to do something about it immediately , the desire is less strong.

These both have the effect of stashing fabric, but cost much less. That is not to say I don't have a stash, mind you—case in point: I just completed a shop hop and bought something at every store. Thankfully I mostly go for fat quarters and not big yardages!
Also, I have a quilting friend who magically is able to only buy for specific projects. She constantly says "I never buy fabric on spec". You know how you sometimes have those things your mother told you when you were a kid going through your head? Well, often, now when I'm out fabric shopping I have my friend's comment above, going through my head and that helps me curtail the bleeding of money from my wallet. Hope that helps!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:48 AM

Didn't realise that this thread was here - I might have been stronger! I had promised myself that I wouldn't buy any fabric in 2013 as like all of you I have so much that I've forgotten the half of it. Anyway I was on ebay and I found this adorable butterfly fabric - nearly half a metre for 99p so I put the opening bid on thinking somebody will put a second bid on surely. So 6 days later I get the congratulations you won email! The postage is more than the fabric!! So for £2.19 I am eagerly waiting for the postman to bring me my first purchase since Dec 2012. But at the same time I am cross with myself for bidding on the fabric in the first place. Do you know what I mean? Thanks for listening er reading!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 AM

Are you really buying fabric if you don't go out of the house? Surely we need some stash just in case it snows and we can't go out. For weeks.? It's great going through a pile and saying I could have use Ethan in the last quilt, forgot I had this. Ways of stopping through car keys and computer away, oh I have a free bus pass and can reach quilt shops. No snow only answer. I definitely would need help but do I want it. No no no. I adore meeting and talking to quilters they are the best group of people in the world and sewing keeps my brain going mathematically and artistically.
No feeling those soft colourful fabrics and snuggling under a quilt. Must keep quilting.