Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Quilt >

First Quilt

First Quilt

Old 06-12-2020, 11:52 AM

Even though I said it wasn't worth the effort, I am taking apart all the squares of my first botched attempt at quilting.

For a very long time I had in my sewing odds and ends a small tool that had a claw on the end. Never knew what it was for. I finally figured out it was for taking apart seams, and I am using it.But my arthritis is acting just terrible today. So I resorted to the third hand, actually my right foot to assist me. Yes, I used my right foot to hold the fabric so I could get that little claw tool between the two pieces of fabric, and it worked pretty well. I just finished taking apart the long seam between the 13 square strips. Now I have to do the individual squares.

I guess you iron them after all of that, before cutting them into what I hope will be perfect blocks. A also guess I should wash them so that the fabric stabilizes. Will put it all in the washer on the setting for delicate , and then tumble dry at low setting

Maybe most of these blocks will be salvageable, and can be used for something else.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I've picked apart blocks. Probably not time or money efficient - but then, neither is playing solitaire.

Maybe you can put the blocks in a pillow case or lingerie bag before you put them in the washer - to minimize fraying.

My washer is an older (1990!) top loader - and I can put hand-washed whatever in to spin. Work better than letting whatever drip or trying to hand wring.

Seam ripper? https://www.joann.com/search?q=seam+ripper

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-12-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:52 PM

bearisgray, Yup, that's what I used, a seam ripper. Works pretty good. Il put the Fabric in a pillow case, as I don't have the other. Since I need to cut the blocks I have already down to 3.5 inches, I probably will be OK.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:50 AM

You mentioned that you were experienced at hand sewing. Does that mean you are hand sewing your piecing? I have a friend who did that in her younger days. It might change the suggestions if you are hand sewing.

This is the best video on machine piecing I've ever seen and it rarely shows up on searches (Donna Poster video). She has several videos on youtube. They are all really good. She describes and shows you in detail how things go wrong and how to fix them.

My suggestion is not to buy any precut fabrics except those made by the big companies (I have no experience with Jordan Fabrics precuts.). The only ones I've used are Moda, and Timeless Treasures and both were accurate. I've heard from others that strips had a curve in the fold and that the squares were not exact. I'm not sure what brands those were.

My experience with kits is they come with yardage and instructions for cutting. It's unusual for the kit to have everything already cut for you.

Good luck on your next quilt.
bkay
Old 06-13-2020, 08:16 AM

bkay, No, I only hand sewed while in the military, and only when I had a minor problem with clothing or a uniform. Anything major I had to take to the on base tailor.

I purchased a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 as my first machine. I am still learning just the basics, especially proper threading, though I think I have that in hand after a few boo-boo's.

Yes, no longer will I purchase from Amazon from a dealer I cannot even locate on the web. I discovered "Connecting Threads" there, and found what Amazon sent me to be what I think is quality. I think they are called jelly rolls; strips that are 2.5 inches wide and about 40 inches long. They were not straight cut, but have a tooth type edge. Don't know what you call such an edge.

I will Google Donna Poster Videos to see what she has. Always wanting to learn more from a good source. Thanks for the info.

: Oh my goodness, the videos from Donna are absolutely wonderful. I am just watching the first one, and am halfway through. So far I have found three mistakes I have made, and she has shown how to correct them. Wonderful teacher! She shows and tells as good as I have ever seen. I definitely will be bookmarking her videos, and watching all of them. Might actually become a fair seamstress from the whole thing. Thanks again for the information.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-13-2020 at 02:00 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-13-2020, 08:32 AM

I remember breezing along on my first quilt, thinking, 'this isn't so hard!' Then it came to putting the blocks together and nothing matched up. I was so embarrassed when I brought the quilt in to my LQS to choose a border fabric, but the ladies were so nice. The employee who helped me with the fabric pretended she didn't see anything wrong, and the owner said, 'we're here to have fun, not to be perfect.'

You will learn as you sew, and as you read about quilting or watch tutorials, or participate in groups like this, and your results will be better every time. If books are your preferred learning method, Harriet Hargrave has a series called Quilter's Academy, which will tell/show you everything you want/need to know about quilting. The main thing is, keep sewing. Since you have trouble differentiating between shades of color, I think a kit would be an excellent idea, but I would suggest sticking to something simple that uses squares and rectangles.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:42 AM

joe'smom, Some here on the Forum have said not to be too worried about failure on the first try or so. Unfortunately I am someone who cannot be satisfied with mediocre. Guess it is because my Marine Dad never accepted much of anything I did as good enough for him, even when I redid it several times. This just stuck with me. I try not to be the same way when teaching others though. Don't want a bunch of frustrated people, especially the children I try teaching model aeronautics.

I am not much of a book learner. I love to read, but never was good at absorbing data such as I got in school, or tried to read in books. I am much better at watching someone do something, while they explain things. After that, I practise a lot, and get as good as I can, and even learn to refine what I have learned to make it better. That's what a lot of my work bosses liked about my work ethics. I never just did the minimum, but tried to improve things.

As I said, I have loads of patience. It will take time, but I will learn, hopefully before it is my to put 10 toes up.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I was so embarrassed when I brought the quilt in to my LQS to choose a border fabric, but the ladies were so nice. The employee who helped me with the fabric pretended she didn't see anything wrong, and the owner said, 'we're here to have fun, not to be perfect.'
That is a quilt shop to patronize forever! Kudos to those employees for being kind and not the Quilt Police. ❤️
Old 06-13-2020, 11:25 AM

I understand your frustration. I never completed a square in the first quilt I tried to make. Twenty years later, I took a class and finished my first quilt. If you have a fabric store near you, you could ask if they know where you could take a class. Or, find a quilting group near you so that you have someone close to help you.

Also, go to You Tube and see how they are making quilts. Not all of them are very good, but I'd suggest the one by Shabby Fabrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfsB...wUcVsjDxvhVBwL

A
Old 06-13-2020, 12:06 PM

Penny, Unfortunately there's not a whole lot near me. I would have to go about 75 miles before I find a JoAnn, let alone anything else. Not sure where there are places that give classes. So, I rely mostly upon the Forums, reading on the net, and watching videos.

Thanks for the ShabbyFabrics link. I've bookmarked it in my browser. It will take me time to get to it, as I have been given dozens of places to read and watch about quilting.