Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Harbor Freight and sewing room supplies >

Harbor Freight and sewing room supplies

Harbor Freight and sewing room supplies

Old 06-10-2013, 04:11 PM

What is the lift like, Miriam? I can manage to lift my machines but I am a home winemaker and I find lifting the 6 gallon carboys full of wine (3 foot vertical lift) a bit too much. Do you think the lift you got might help and if so can you give me an actual name or item number for the lift and the general price range. It is about 20 miles to the closest HF and I don't want to make the trip unless the item might really be of help to me. Thanks!
Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I got one of the magnetic bars, too. When screws want to go flying off my bench it catches them. Then yesterday I got a lift for picking up sewing machines it was on sale and 20% off I hope it works.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

I got offset screwdriver to take the little screws on the throatplate out. also one of those screwdrives that holds all the bits to remove other screws wheni'm doing 'surgery' on the machine
Old 06-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Bought carpet blades and the suction cup thingies used for getting dents out of cars. They attach to your rulers and they don't slip.
Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
I usually take my Kindle and sit in the car when my husband goes to Harbor Freight. I've heard various people here on the Boards mentioning things they've gotten there. What have you gotten at Harbor Freight that has come in handy for your sewing? Next time my DH goes, I'm going in with him!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:20 PM

MAC's Hardware too, I have been know to come home with a lot of different ideas.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
magnet on telescoping wand, blades for rotary cutter, magnet bowels, ratchet screwdriver, utility scissors about 14 inches, set of drawers to hang on wall (holds really small things, needles, special buttons, chalk) hooks and baskets for my peg board, a collapsible cart with wheels and handle to toate my supplies to classes, and retreats. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, LOL
So sorry but I just had to laugh at your typo here and the magnetic 'bowels' I know you meant bowls, but it really made me giggle, especially after the hard day I had today and another one tomorrow taking family member to Dr. Appts. and for blood transfusions tomorrow.
If one wants to order anything on line, you can do so easily and will get their sale items in emails, as well as coupons you can use. I did purchase for about $6.00 a suction cup hand holder that locks in place for my rulers, the ones that you can buy from Hancocks, Nancy's, Hobby Lobby & JoAnns, etc for about $15.00. It works great and seems to be a bit longer that the others. I've had it for 3-4 yrs. now and no problems with it. Is is black and white and not like the blue and white onese I've seen in the other stores.
This is not for quilting, but they have some very inexpensive gloves that have rubber on the palms and fingers of the gloves, great for gardening and they really do grip things.These come in small, med and large, and have yellow knit around the wrist band and on the top of the hand part of the gloves. I think they are $1.99 a pair, not sure on the price. I go in with DH almost every time he goes, just to look at what I think I might need. lol

Last edited by Gerbie; 06-10-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
What is the lift like, Miriam? I can manage to lift my machines but I am a home winemaker and I find lifting the 6 gallon carboys full of wine (3 foot vertical lift) a bit too much. Do you think the lift you got might help and if so can you give me an actual name or item number for the lift and the general price range. It is about 20 miles to the closest HF and I don't want to make the trip unless the item might really be of help to me. Thanks!

I'm also interested in what the lift is like. My Bernina 930 is so heavy and not in a cabinet, and weights a ton it seems when I take it instead of my FW to quilt group.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Letty View Post
Hi, do be careful buying magnetised trays, they can have bad effects on computorised machines, as for the rest , go for it. Letty x
I've got the cheapest Brother on the market. Nothing bothers it-----except fuzz!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:02 AM
Power Poster

They have several lifts. I needed one that could go high enough to get machines off the shelf and onto my bench and go across the floor. You still have to lift a little bit with either but if I slide it right I should be ok... http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-...ble-94822.html The wheels do not turn
http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-...ack-39178.html doesn't lift as high and the wheels turn but not lock I think wheels could be replaced - this one is all mechanical - less to go wrong.
They are on sale and if you have a 20% off coupon...
Old 06-11-2013, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by PABerard View Post
I bought a mirror that I use to see the underside of the quilt while I am quilting http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-...aft-97217.html and I love it
Par
Smart girl! New one for me...
Old 06-11-2013, 04:55 AM

Default Magnetic dish for pins

I purchased a nice round metal magnetic dish for my pins. Unfortunately the rubber on the bottom had a terrible oily or kerosene smell. I washed it with soap and put outdoors for a few days and the odor would not come out. Gave it to my mechanic friend.

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
Oh, my gosh. Thank you everyone! I told my husband today that I want to go with him next time he goes. He thought I was kidding and asked if I needed a trailer hitch or cement mixer. When I explained that it was for quilting stuff I got that blank look...(you know the one!)