Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone tried Quilt Theory Quilting? >

Has anyone tried Quilt Theory Quilting?

Has anyone tried Quilt Theory Quilting?

Old 11-16-2009, 07:31 PM

If you want to try Quilt as You Go I recommend the Fun and Done quilts. I have used this method, I got the ruler as a gift, but you could do it on your own once you figure it out. Here is a link to a video that shows it being done, it really was quick and easy.

https://www.baysidequilting.com/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=284]https://www.baysidequilting.com/stor...idCategory=284[/url]
Old 11-16-2009, 10:04 PM

I took a class for this. It was a placemat and the block used was the courthouse steps block. It seemed easy...but way overquilted for me. If I didn't have my walking foot it would have been a miserable experience. My machine did not like all the bulk.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by OHSue
If you want to try Quilt as You Go I recommend the Fun and Done quilts. I have used this method, I got the ruler as a gift, but you could do it on your own once you figure it out. Here is a link to a video that shows it being done, it really was quick and easy.

https://www.baysidequilting.com/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=284]https://www.baysidequilting.com/stor...idCategory=284[/url]
Thanks so much! I've gone to baysidequilting.com and seen the video, it seems easier than Quilt Theory quilting, I've ordered the templates for the Fun & Done. I'll try both methods and see what happens.
I'm really looking for an alternative for bed sized quilts as I don't have a longarm, just a regular sewing machine, and I don't feel like taking everything to a longarmer...we only have 3 in my area that are fully booked and very expensive.
Thanks again,
Kindest Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 11-17-2009, 05:22 AM

MaryAnna...I can soooo relate to that. Tomorrow I am sandwiching a quilt for my step-son and DIL. It is HUGE!! I will tough it out on my machine...or maybe borrow my step-daughters as hers has a slightly larger throat than mine. This one will end up part machine done, (SID), and then hand quilted block centres. There are no longarmers where I live, so if I were to go that route, I would have to send it away...and yes, they are very pricey!!

The quilt I did "as you go" was not over quilted. It was done as a learning quilt....so every block was something different.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:16 AM

Yes, Pzazz, you will have a fight on your hands with trying to machine quilt a bed quilt on a regular machine! Hand quilting the center would be the only way possible. But there might be another option.....I had a thought, and it was 'validated' by my noticing a store bought quilt- the backing had 3 seams horizontal. Which backed my hunch...what if we divide the bed quilt into 3rds? Then pieced each 3rd together, matching seams, etc.? We would be able to machine quilt each section, then join them together. By joining them together, the fabric bulk would be to our left. It's an idea worth pursuing.
Any thoughts on that one?
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 11-17-2009, 07:43 AM

I completed a reversible quilt as you go kingsize about l month ago.
Trust me the first couple blocks are the hardest and then you can do them in your sleep....well, you can certainly chat with a friend while doing them.

The quilt is a bit more stiff, but I used a thick batting. I like the stiffness of this one because it makes up quickly when on the bed. I hate daily bed making! so anything that makes it easier. The quilt is very warm and comfortable for sleeping.

I made mine scrappy, except for the half square triangles which I kept the same color. I also used darker colors on one side so it looks like two different quilts.

It does seem to take a long time, but remember you can use it immediately as you have the entire quilt completed at the end.

Sewing the blocks together was quick and easy, but the strips were a bit awkward as they are much bulkier than just a quilt top.

Try a smaller quilt, you will enjoy it, I think.
I used the directions from the Internet. I think the name was Sue Pederson or Peterson.
The site can be found under 'quilt as you go."

Go for it girlfriend!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:08 AM

I saved instructions for quilting in thirds, useful for large quilts, from Quilt University. Here it is! (try try again)

Subject: Quilting in thirds
Posted By: Carol at Quilt U
Date:
To deal with quilting a big quilt on a home machine, Hari Walner uses a method called Quilting in Thirds. Lay out the quilt sandwich as always but baste only the center section of the three layers together.
Fold back the top only on the left side and cut away the outside third of the BATT ONLY. Before moving it, mark the top and bottom on both sides of the cut line - A/A, B/B. Set that piece of batting aside. The letters will show you precisely where to put the piece back. Your cutting line does not have to be perfectly neat since it will fit precisely against the other piece.
Once the batting has been removed, roll the top and back and pin so they do not flop around or get sewn to the back by accident.
Repeat the process on the other side, folding back the top, cutting the batt, marking on both sides of the cutting line with C/C and D/D at the top and bottom.
Roll the top and backing. Pin in place. I use safety pins so I will not stick myself.
You now have a long skinny quilt. It should fit under the head of your machine with no trouble. Quilt to within 2-3" of the sides. Some lines of quilting will be stopped in the middle of a line. End the stitching so it will not ravel loose but you will be going back and sewing over those places.
When you have completed the middle, lay the quilt out again. You can choose either side to do first. Unroll the top and back. Smooth the back out against the table and tape the loose edge. Put the batting back in place, matching the cut edges and the lettering. Using a basting needle, make a big XXXXX row of stitches to attach the two pieces. Unroll the top over the batting and pin securely in place.
Be sure that you quilt across the join as the first part of your quilting.
The bulk of the quilt is now to the outside of the machine and you are dealing only with this third.
When you repeat all the steps for the last third, you have to rotate the quilt so the bulk is still to the outside.
The borders should be done last and can be done with the bulk to the left (or outside) of the machine during the whole process.
The only tricky part of this is making sure that you spread out the entire quilt when you are adding back the missing batting. It is tempting to take a short cut and unroll just what you need but that can cause a ripple on the bottom.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 AM

One of my charity quilting ladies made a beautiful quilt with the Cotton Theory method. It was as already posted stiff and weighs an absolute ton. I just picked up a pattern called Fun & Done Quilting by Prairie Sky Quilting. If you are interested in a quilt as you go method I recommend looking into this one. Most importantly pick up the Fun & Done Quilting template set. You don't need the template for cutting necessarily, but will love the template for exact placement of the batting.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 AM

This is the way I was taught in my first hand piecing/quilting class. NOT sorry to say that I haven't done a quilt since that way. :roll:
Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 AM

I bought that book, I ended up not liking the look of the seams.....
The idea is great.. Who wouldn't want to have their quilt finished when you're finished?
There's another similar technique, I don't remember who I saw demonstrate it.... you quilt in sections, join the sections, and quilt over the seams, that's more to my liking.
By the way, I gave the book to a co-worker, she loves it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-1137.jpe