Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone tried Quilt Theory Quilting? >

Has anyone tried Quilt Theory Quilting?

Has anyone tried Quilt Theory Quilting?

Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 AM

I think this must be another one of my idiosyncracies....or else I am just a stubborn "you know what". ;) If I can find fabric wide enough to NOT have a seam in my backing, I prefer to do so. I have done two queen size quilts...on my machine. And yes, the air was a tad blue at times. hehehe But I was pleased with the final outcome. :D

Patti
Old 11-17-2009, 09:22 AM

I love cotton theory.
And actually you can just make a one inch seam and turn those under and your lining will show.
Your quilt is beautiful.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:13 AM

Tried the cotton theory method many years ago and hated it.

Just took a class locally and it seems to have been perfected a bit and was much easier this go round. I recommend a class to understand the concept.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 AM

I am not familiar with that term but I have done quilt as you go and I started a log cabin 2 years ago and took two classes cause I couldn't get the idea at the first one and I still don't have it done. Seems hard to me. Maybe it is just not my thing!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:44 AM

Im taking a class in January, can't wait!!
Old 11-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Variety is the spice of life. I would like to have time to try all of the patterns, methods, etc. I enjoy trying various methods. My brain needs to be stimulated by learning new things. Just because I did it once doesn't mean it is for everyone. I just took the instructions one line at a time. Sometimes I had to try try again but I was determined. I would never want the quilting police (or Betty Cotton) to inspect my work. However, it is mine and I did it for me and not for show or competition. Actually, I do try harder and unsew more often if it is something I plan to give away. Enjoy whatever you decide to do.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by vjengels
I bought that book, I ended up not liking the look of the seams.....
The idea is great.. Who wouldn't want to have their quilt finished when you're finished?
There's another similar technique, I don't remember who I saw demonstrate it.... you quilt in sections, join the sections, and quilt over the seams, that's more to my liking.
By the way, I gave the book to a co-worker, she loves it.
That's a fabulous looking quilt! And it doesn't look 'over-quilted'. Thanks for the info, I've looked at 'fun and done' and have ordered the templates and hope to try that way. I do think we can divide the quilt in 3rds- no matter what the pattern or techique- and make a bed sized quilt on our regular sewing machines!
I appreciate your input!
Kindest Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 11-17-2009, 03:56 PM

Hi! I took a class/workshop on it not long ago. I really liked it. We made a tote bag and a table runner. I think they were pretty stiff and sturdy. I liked the method and hope to do more soon.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 PM

MaryAnna

I did a scrappy quilt and tried to follow the Betty Cotton theory...came out alright but would like to get her book and do one of her patterns....

Can't seem to get the knack for machine quilting a larger quilt.

Send picture of yours........

MaryJane
Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
MaryAnna

I did a scrappy quilt and tried to follow the Betty Cotton theory...came out alright but would like to get her book and do one of her patterns....

Can't seem to get the knack for machine quilting a larger quilt.

Send picture of yours........

MaryJane
Her patterns are beautiful and her "Cotton Theory Quilting 2" book is really chock full of patterns with detailed explainations, but I feel they are over quilted and if over quilted, then they're going to be stiff. I like for a quilt to have a nice drape on the bed. So perhaps with less quilting, then they'll have the drape.
Don't feel bad MaryJane, I can't manage a bed sized quilt- the largest I can handle is a lap sized one- even that can be a struggle. And taking quilts to a longarmer isn't always possible.
I haven't made a quilt via Betty Cotton's Quilt Theory yet, but when I do I'll post it. I'm researching which way is best right now.
Thanks for the input!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna