Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Need advice on how to fix a quilt top >

Help! Need advice on how to fix a quilt top

Help! Need advice on how to fix a quilt top

Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 PM

My grandparents and great grandparents were German. When I look at your beautiful quilt, what comes to mind is your intention. You did not intend to offend or hurt anyone, you followed a pattern to make a gift for someone. That is beautiful. Your intentions were good and pure. You made a lovely gift. I think your mother might understand this.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by SonjaG View Post
This is only my third project...why I decided I could conquer a queen sized quilt without any problems is beyond me. Anyway, I pieced the quilt together and after having it on the floor for a few days, finally saw a big problem. I laid everything out before putting it together, how did I not see it then? There appears to be an "unfortunate" pattern in some of the blocks. Seeing how my Mom was born and raised in Germany during the War, I just cannot leave those blocks as is. How do I fix just three or four of the blocks without taking the entire quilt apart?
I sure do SEE the pattern you don't want. I have taken an entire quilt apart when I used the split rail block for that very obvious "incidental/accidental" symbol. Given your own sensitivity to the swastika issue, you have no choice but to redo those offensive blocks. I no longer use the split rail blocks unless the colors are all very light or I can combine them without getting the symbol. The fact that others did not see the swastika indicates they are not sensitive to the feelings and experiences of people who lived through some pretty gruesome times. Chin up and you will feel better about giving your mom something you made without bringing hurtful memories of that time in her life! God bless! Barbb
Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 PM

I did the same thing with the first split rail I did. You are right, it needs to be fixed because you will notice it like a neon sign. You've been given good info on how to do that. Good catch.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 PM

Most of replies are over the symbol but I see that 4 are turned in a different direction. Top left and bottom first 3 are turned with the rails running different than the others.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM

I think I would take the offending blocks out one at a time. Just open up all four sides and change the way you need to. An easy way to take out a seam with out distorting it is to use a seam ripper or a very pointed pair of small scissors. and cut about every 4 or 5 stitches. Then flip the seam to the other side and pull up the thread. The whole seam will come loose very easily.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 PM

The first thing I saw was a saint bridget quilt I think its a beautiful quilt! I always hate to see a pretty quilt ripped into
(even when it is necessary).
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 PM

I finally saw it - my daughter and I were looking together and when she held the computer further away from me I could finally see it.

And ... "Barbb - The fact that others did not see the swastika indicates they are not sensitive to the feelings and experiences of people who lived through some pretty gruesome times." I really feel this statement was a little harsh - it breaks my heart thinking that these crimes were committed against other human beings - I would never intentionally make a quilt with this symbol in it, but sometimes when following a pattern things like this turn up -

Good luck fixing the quilt, I would feel the same way and feel either the need to fix it or cut it up and make something different from the squares. If they were cut on the diagonal or like an 'x', you might be able to reassemble and get a totally different pattern.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by w7sue View Post
And ... "Barbb - The fact that others did not see the swastika indicates they are not sensitive to the feelings and experiences of people who lived through some pretty gruesome times." I really feel this statement was a little harsh
I have to agree. I did not see a swastika because to me, this does not LOOK like a swastika. It's missing parts! The OP asked for opinions and I was honest with mine. I don't think I - or anyone else who gave an opinion - deserve to be called insensitive.

Last edited by Peckish; 11-29-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 AM

i would pick them out and fix them. I don't think you will ever be happy with it if you don't. I will be a lot of extra work but in the end you will be happier with it. There are a couple of quilts in my cabinet that have never been finished because of the same kind of issues. Every year I think that I will either fix them or finish them the way they are and donate them to the homeless shelter. They won't care if it doesn't meet my standards they will just be happy to have a warm quilt. Hugs to you and I know you will make the right decision. The applique over them is a great idea. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:55 AM

I had the quilt up on my computer last night and called my husband to look at it. He saw the problem IMMEDIATELY. I didn't say anything about it, just asked him to look at this quilt. Even though that symbol has been around for thousands of years, now it has a different meaning.
Good luck in taking it apart. You'll feel better later.