Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Home Ec Class

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyncat
    This thread has made me curious...how many members took home ec and were you a good home ec student? I had 7th and 8th grade, and 3 years in high school, but I was never a very good student in that class. But now I'm very good at sewing and cooking (thanks to grandma and mom).
    My school was an all-girls school and everyone took Domestic Science from Grade 5 to 9. We learned to knit in Grade 3 - the first thing I ever knit was a dish cloth knit out of cotton twine and I still have it. In Grade 4 we knit socks for the "poor Indian children of Northwest River" ( I know it is not politically correct but we are talking 52 years ago!) . They gave me, the messiest child in the class, pale yellow wool and Mom had to wash the socks I knit several times before she deemed them clean enough to send. They also got knit several times before the two sock were the same length! LOL!!

I didn't take Home Ec. in high school - it wasn't offered for my program.

Blog Entries
    Teach her how to make a string top 2 piece bag,pillow case, pot holder,Christmas stocking, simple things get her used to the machine. Then ask her if she has anything she would like to make. Make sure she picks out the fabric. Even if it is a hard project at that point she will not realize it for years to come.

I started with Home Ec class in Junior High and continued thru high school. I remember making an apron for our first project.. my fabric had baby disney character on it. I also remember making a denim seat for a fishing stool that we made in shop class, we made teddy bears and shirts and I also remember making a skirt and I had my mom pick up fabric for me when she was in town. She ran into my great aunt when getting it and she had her help her pick it out. It was white Polyester...OMG!! I was horrified.. I mean come on Polyester on a high school chick!!!! Not to flattering!

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    They call it Home & Careers now. They make pillows, pajama pants, &puppets for Ronald MacDonald House.They learn to read a package and understand the ingredients. They make cookbooks with ethnic food. They make chocolate and dog biscuits to sell. It is co-ed and they love it! (I was the Art teacher!)
    Our schools around here call it Family and Consumer Science now.

Quote Originally Posted by boopeterson
    My hubby's niece is home schooled and her mom wants me to do a Home Ec class with her. For the sewing part I have planned to make a apron, I would like us to make 5 of them to use them in the cooking part. And for the cooking part I have planned to get together with her mom and grandma and her great grandma to make Christmas cookies. It will be like a 4 generation cooking class for her. With all the cooks in the kitchen she should learn quite a few little lessons.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what all I should show her on the sewing part? Besides the apron? I'm not sure if she has ever sewn anything before..I know she dont have a machine. I have 4 so she can use on anytime she wants to.
    She can learn gathering as part of the apron. Also hemming, and adding a pocket.
    Add in a quilt square pillow, and she should be good. LOL.

I worked for one of the Washington State University Cooperative Extension offices before my retirement, and our volunteers had great success teaching young girls and boys how to make a pillow case. They loved the bright color combinations used for the border and trim that were found in the donated fabric stashes. They were also taught how to make simple shorts with elastic waistband and a simple vest.

This has been a successful outreach in the community for over ten years. Good luck and bless you for promoting sewing in the youth of America!

As a extension educator, and an auntie to homeschoolers....check out what the 4-h program has for beginner sewing and foods and nutrition and etc....about every topic you can think of. Check with your local extension agent/educator. You don't have to be in 4-H to pickup the books and their cheap. PM me if you are interested.

Also....Alex Anderson has an excellent book about Quilting with kids. Really great to use and get some basics after they learn about the machine and safety issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinlee
    As a extension educator, and an auntie to homeschoolers....check out what the 4-h program has for beginner sewing and foods and nutrition and etc....about every topic you can think of. Check with your local extension agent/educator. You don't have to be in 4-H to pickup the books and their cheap. PM me if you are interested.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnesewta
    My home-ec teacher introduced me to quilting 30+ years ago. She was my mentor in more ways than one. Here are some suggestions for the sewing part of the program.

** Teach her how to shorten a garmet...pants, dress, etc.
    ** How to use a store bought pattern...mark darts, match dots, etc.
    ** How to thread machine, wind bobbins, clean lint out of machine, oil if necessary, seam allowances.
    ** Different fabric types
    ** How to install a zipper or snaps or velcro
    Good Luck!
    I so agree with this, I still have never done a zipper, and there are so many pretty skirt patterns, but I am terafied of the zipper. and of reading a pattern, I did not learn these things. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by penny doty
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnesewta
    My home-ec teacher introduced me to quilting 30+ years ago. She was my mentor in more ways than one. Here are some suggestions for the sewing part of the program.

** Teach her how to shorten a garmet...pants, dress, etc.
    ** How to use a store bought pattern...mark darts, match dots, etc.
    ** How to thread machine, wind bobbins, clean lint out of machine, oil if necessary, seam allowances.
    ** Different fabric types
    ** How to install a zipper or snaps or velcro
    Good Luck!
    I so agree with this, I still have never done a zipper, and there are so many pretty skirt patterns, but I am terafied of the zipper. and of reading a pattern, I did not learn these things. God bless.
    I also agree anything that has a zipper I stay miles away.

Give me a zipper over a buttonhole any day! My sewing machine even has a buttonhole setting, but they still make me crazy. I have done lots of zippers, and the only one that gave me any trouble was putting in a fly front on a pair of men's wool pants.

I learned to make a shirt and a dress when I was at school some 40+ years ago.

It's funny that this question came up now. My daughter just turned 33 and she wants me to teach her to sew. I went to Joanne's and bought a bunch of stuff to help teach her what I learned in school. Most things are second nature to me now so this thread has been a good way to jog my memory about what to teach a beginner. I started out by learning to make an apron and then moved on to 'A' line skirts, shirts and dresses. With each item you would learn a basic skill to build on.

I took Home Ec from the mid 60's to '71 so everything I have learned I owe to my Home Ec teacher (:-D thank you Mrs. Beatrice Wood :-D )!!!! I wish that they still taught Home Ec in school now-a-days.

After all the above suggestions about sewing basics, I think a neat project, after the apron, would be a simple purse with a strap and perhaps an outside pocket. Not sure how old your niece is, but girls like accessories.!

The apron project is the most basic one. From this she can learn about pattern selection, fabric selection,laying out the pattern, pinning, cutting, pressing, straight and accurate stitching. (5/8 seam allowance on an apron) She may prepare and then handstitch the hem for a lesson that will last, and come in handy, for a lifetime. She can then add embellishment if she chooses. (i.e. a monogrammed pocket)
    I don't know which one of you will have the most fun, but I'm betting on YOU!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4