Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilt do you have that you've made? >

How many quilt do you have that you've made?

How many quilt do you have that you've made?

Old 06-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Google Goddess

Wow, do you have pictures of your quilts

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I feel so selfish. I have already made handquilted quilts for everyone in the family from mom,dad, sister, nephews, greatnephews, Nieces, etc. Even friends andd best friends and made over 500 small quilts for Project linus in the last 5 years. So being happy about that. I also sell one on occassion. BUT!!!!! I still manage to have a handquilted one hanging proudly on a wall in every room in my home and in some rooms up to 4. Different sizes and shapes. I even have three quilt racks with full quilts on board. Not to mention the ones folded and in the CHina/quilt cabinet. Every bed in the house has one with matching pillowcases and shams. I have decided I am a quiltaholic after all. LOL. But when visitors come in from out of town, etc. If they see a quilt they love, it comes down and goes home iwth them. Unless it is a special one to me and made during a certain time in my life.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:30 PM

I'd say make your DH a quilt. Mine said the same thing...so I started collecting his memorabilia and made him a wall quilt using photo transfer, I have awards he's won....family portrait...grandchildren pictures....sports he plays....college emblems...fraternity emblem....favorite teams....family dog.....It hangs in our home office and he loved it and proudly points it out to people when they visit. That quilt was received so gratiously that I made him a D9P lap quilt of the Mets baseball team for the family room during the baseball season.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by quilting.addict
Originally Posted by BKrenning
Originally Posted by quilting.addict
I have made about 45 and I have my great grandmother's quilt (she hand pieced it in 1920, I hand quilted it in 2002), my very first quilt lap size, and a Trip around the World that I hand quilted and kept. My husband implied that I make them for everyone but him. When I pressed him last week about whether he REALLY wanted a quilt, he said NO!! I just think you should have one folded up at the foot of every bed in the house... Do you think he really wants one??
Jeannie in GA
Your story is very similar to mine. I had given every quilt I made away and hubby would often "jokingly" say I never made him one so I sashed a bunch of swap blocks to make a king size for our bed. Got it all quilted and he likes it but says it's not heavy enough. Regular cotton blocks & backing with a Hobbs 80/20 batting.

So we went to the quilt show in Paducah this past spring and I had him feel all the batts and none are really heavy enough according to him for another king size top I have.

When we got home, I dug through all the closets and my scrap pile and pulled out and cut up all the old blue jeans and his old work shirts and made him a large lap size Faux Cathedral Windows. He won't even let me wash it! It stays on his side of the bed and if it falls off or gets moved--he freaks out! So yes, hubby definitely wants a quilt all to himself. Any little snide comments about how much time & money you spend on quilting will probably stop, also!
That's funny that you ended up doing a denim one for him!! My daughter just gave me a pair of red denim jeans that her son outgrew. I got to thinking about mixing that with blue denim, but didn't know what style block to make. I don't know what a faux cathedral window is. I was considering one of those where you sew all on one side, seam sides out, then cut and fray them...maybe they are called rag quilts? Maybe I can figure out how to do that. Is yours backed with something and batted between?
The denim is the backing and was cut in circles. Here's the link where I got the idea: http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...gallbaros.html

I put scrap batting behind each patch of shirt. The denim is just top stitched down. It will fray a bit if hubby ever lets me wash it. My 5'7" daughter is holding it up in the picture.

Hubby's "Heavy Enough" quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]87421[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87416.jpe  
Old 06-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

I have two quilts on my bed and the rest belong to others. It works for me.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:55 AM

Let me see, I started and completed my first 2 quilts on Feb 16th 2008. Was for very premmie twin girls, who we thought would not make it, and I thought the parents needed validation of their little lives, just in case.
Happily they ar both still with us, and both quilts are much loved.Since then I've made and given away dozens, and sold my first quilt last week. Happily I have kept those that mean more and made me happy when I was making them.
Just tonight DDIL was snuggling under one while watching tv, and last night DGS was sleeping under another. Exactly what they were made for.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:47 AM

I have only been quilting for about a year and a half....I completed a Queen Size Dresden Plate for my Sister (took most of a year), a Twin size for my Grandson, a Twin size for my very best friend. I have completed 3 wall hangings and 3 baby blankets. I have picked out the pattern for my quilt, but still have brothers, nieces, grandchildren to complete quilts for before I get to make my own.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Banned

Okay if you make them for your wife and kids and they are sill in your house does that count for anything?

If so I have a lap quilt that is mine and 4 others floating around here that belong to them.

Billy
Old 06-26-2010, 08:29 AM

I have made about 30 quilts, most were made in the 80's and I made everything from pillow size to King. All hand done. But most were wall hangings that I used in every room of my house. My kids were small then so I made wall hangings for things they liked. I even made a bird house wall hanging for our screened in porch. But now I am making lap quilts, and wall hangings by machine. Most now will all be gifts since I have a much smaller house and really don't need any more, but still love to make them. My granddaughters will end up with all of them one day, so they might as well enjoy the new ones now.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:39 AM

I have two UFO/WIPs that are MINE. The rest that I've finished have all been given away. The other UFO/WIP's have designated recipients.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:08 AM

I love your quilt...what an interesting pattern for denim