Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilt on reg sewing machine? >

How many quilt on reg sewing machine?

How many quilt on reg sewing machine?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 AM

You can quilt on any machine, I have done around squares for years, but it can get hard if there is a lot of bulk. If I were going to buy a new machine I would get a mid-arm. There is also a class on Craftsy.com that is just for quilting big quilts on a small machine. Good Luck.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM

Default A Sample of Machine Quilting

I have been quilting for a little over two years now after I retired from teaching. I have several older machines, Singer 301,301A and a featherweight that get most of my use ( I have 3 new Singers and several other older ones) however, I use the three main ones for machine quilting. I create the quilts in 3 sections - top, bottom, and the middle. I piece them then I get the backing ready and the batting. I sandwich the three sections and quilt on the machine - in the ditch or around the squares or triangles or the pattern. Then I machine sew the top section and middle section together on the front of the quilt on the machine leaving the backing open - hand sew the backing togther, then put machine sew the bottom top to the middle, and hand sew the backing together over the backing.
And I sew the binding on the top of the quilt by machine and hand sew it over to the back. Now I have also done several "quilts as you go" because we were traveling and I could take sections of the quilt with me to hand quilt in the car. Here is a picture of a section of my latest quilt.
Attached Thumbnails housequilt_quiltboard.jpg  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 AM

I just did my first large(between a queen and full size) on my home machine and wished I had rubber tipped gloves. I spraybasted it and it works wonderful. I found as long as I worked insie my hand span it went well, but if not it was a
little sloppy. Tried different motifs and stipped alot too! I found it really fun after the initial first hour. Take your time also, dont get in a rush. I watched a quilting a big machine class on CRafty that actually made me brave enough to try it. You can do it!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by kookey426 View Post
I have a Brother cs6000i and I have quilted everything from a mug rug to a king size quilt 120 x 120..I just did it in quadrants! I have never had anyone else quilt for me! Hope you find a great new machine! Happy quilting!
Ok, I received this exact machine for Christmas and I absolutely love it. I decided to machine quilt my first quilt recently. I needed to free motion quilt it and when I did, the tension was waaaaaaaay off. I switched to a metal bobbin and increased the tension to an 8 just to get the tension almost right. What bothered me most was I could hear the tread stretching as I sewed and after a long time without cutting the tread, when I stopped, the thread would break because it was so tight. Even after a short section of free motion, whe i cut the thread it would be completely untwisted. How did you adjust your machine so it would free motion with the correct tension? What kind of thread do you use? I was using regular coats and clarke thread. I would love to be able to use this machine to free motion, but the tension issues are going to force me to use my old White machine. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, PM me if you can help me. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I quilt all my quilts on my regular sewing machine. I have only hand quilted one quilt - a full size "heart quilt" for my daughter - she picked out the pink and aqua fabrics, and I pieced and hand quilted it. I've actually forgotten the name of the block, but it was one of the patterns from Georgia Bonesteel's quilt as you go quilts. I then made a med. blue and black Irish Chain quilt for my son, which I machine quilted after taking a class. Then, probably because no one told me I couldn't do it - I machine quilted an over-size king size quilt on my regular sewing machine. I made pieced basket blocks that I did SID on each block - far from perfect but I learned an awful lot about machine quilting with that quilt. PS - with all the basket blocks my husband told me I had become a "basket case". Yup - you guessed it - the quilt label said "Basket Case", the name of the quilt. I will, however, be sending the family reunion quilt I will be making shortly, then sending to my niece who just purchased a long-arm last year. She offered, and I accepted, one less thing on my Roundtoit List.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
I have been quilting for a little over two years now after I retired from teaching. I have several older machines, Singer 301,301A and a featherweight that get most of my use ( I have 3 new Singers and several other older ones) however, I use the three main ones for machine quilting. I create the quilts in 3 sections - top, bottom, and the middle. I piece them then I get the backing ready and the batting. I sandwich the three sections and quilt on the machine - in the ditch or around the squares or triangles or the pattern. Then I machine sew the top section and middle section together on the front of the quilt on the machine leaving the backing open - hand sew the backing togther, then put machine sew the bottom top to the middle, and hand sew the backing together over the backing.
And I sew the binding on the top of the quilt by machine and hand sew it over to the back. Now I have also done several "quilts as you go" because we were traveling and I could take sections of the quilt with me to hand quilt in the car. Here is a picture of a section of my latest quilt.
I'm really interested in quilt as you go because I want to start machine quilting a little more (I hand quilt now) and I know I don't want to wrestle a whole quilt. I made a king size quilted duvet cover and learned my lesson with that. What does a quilt as you go quilt feel like when completed as opposed to a regular quilt? Is is blockier, or as smooth as a regular quilt? I will use the method where you join the top, then hand stitch the backing. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by mimmy96 View Post
Believe it or not.. There is a lady around here that will quilt any size quilt for $20 each... Yes I know, it's unbelievable ..and she does beautiful work! .. The only thing is about an hour and 1/2 from here. And it also takes her about 2 months to get them back to you... But the price and work is wonderful! Buying really do want to do my own work if I can!
There is no way I would wrestle anything larger than a baby quilt on a domestic machine if I could get the quilting done for that price!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 AM

I have quiltied all of mine on a sewing machine, from lap quilt to queens. I have a Viking (base model) and a Pfaff; I will use which ever one is on the table.
I quilt in sections, usually 3 sections, then attach the tops together on the machine. I hand sew the back together, almost like a Quilt-as-you Go method. Yes, I would like a mid-arm or long-arm, but I don't the room for them right now. Just the two.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
I have a Brother PQ1500, has a 9" throat space, but it only does straight stitch...I just got a Janome Horizon 7700, has 11" throat plate, and does a lot of stitches...I haven't had a chance to use it yet, tho...I also have a Grace machine quilt frame, was going to use my 1500 with it, but never have...I just do a meander stipple or and outline stitch about 1/8" away from ditch on 1500..it has a pin feed system, so I don't have to use a walking (ever feed) foot to do the outline stitch...I will say for the price, it has been a great machine...the pin feed makes piecing quilts a breeze, too...Have you checked out Leah Days website? She does all of her fmq on a domestic machines, couple of years ago got the Janome 7700...but still shows quilting on a regular size domestic machine. Here is a link to her site, she has a TON of great info...
http://daystyledesigns.com/
Regards,
Kif
PS Quilt gloves, or gloves with fingertip grips are a BIG help...also I use the bobbin genies...and a free motion slider..and I also make sure and have tables around so there is not pull and drag on the quilt...here is another link to youtube videos, have great way to make an inexpensive quilting table:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM
I agee with all of this. Leah Day is a wonderful teacher and she inspires me to do what she does.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 AM

I use my domestic machine all the time. I also agree with those who have mentioned quilting gloves. Truly a MUST! and make sure your chair is a comfy height, and take breaks every so often to stretch those shoulder muscles.