Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilt on reg sewing machine? >

How many quilt on reg sewing machine?

How many quilt on reg sewing machine?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by TerryQuilter View Post
I quilt on my Janome 6600P, but twin size is about as large as I have done. I am looking into buying a Sweet 16 or Bailey sit down mid arm so I can do larger quilts and so I don't have to do all that scrunching of the quilt. By the time I'm finished with a larger than lap quilt, I have really had a good upper body work out *Ü*
Try looking in long arm university. A woman in Vancouver is selling an hq16. I think that may work for you.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:56 AM

Most of my quilts are queen or king size and I do most of my quilting on my domestic Viking Sapphire. I love it.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:12 AM

Default king size on a regular machine

Originally Posted by mimmy96 View Post
How many do not have a Long arm machine and just use their reg sewing machine to quilts? Or do a lot that just have a reg machine .. Machine sew the top, but then get them quilted somewhere else? I am getting ready to get a new machine, it will not be a long arm.... I am brand new to quilting and I am just wondering how all this works. I realize larger quilts may not be able to be quilted on a reg sewing machine.. But maybe I am wrong!
I quilted a king size quilt on my regular machine. the design was split rail and I made the quilt top in 3 sections. then I put my backing and batting together with each section and quilted each part separately. after each section was quilted I sewed the sections together. I took a class in quilting this was at the LQS. And I think there is a book available on quilting this way, actually listing 2-3 different ways to join the sections.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM

I have quilted many quilts on my DM. I baste the dickens out of it, start in the middle and work my way outwards. I have made at least 3 twin size, several double, and several queens. A job, but it can be done. I use 2 ironing boards with plywood boards on them--one in front of the machine and 1 to the left of the machine. I don't wind up with wrinkles, etc. My recipients like what I do.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:44 PM

Default Quilt as you Go

The quilt feels wonderful and looks great. I loved the fact that I could stash them quickly in the car (or by my chair when at someone's house) when we stopped every three hours or overnight. Here are three pictures. I will do this technique again. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails 1930squilt_eachsquare.jpg   backof30squilt.jpg   1930squiltdone.jpg  
Old 02-13-2013, 02:07 PM

I do all my quilting on my regular sewing machine. I have a struggle with the bigger ones but it works out ok. I don't send anything out to be quilted by the ladies who have a long arm. I just can't afford it.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

I have quilted 87 quilts on DSM, Most on a Juki TL98QE w/9" throat. It is a straght stitch only machine. I do a large stipple or meandering. No fancy stitches for me, I don't care for them. I wear rubber tipped garden gloves, start in the center, work out to the edges. No way would I have my quilts quilted, I like the fact that I make them all myself. I have done up to a queen, no need for a king.
I have made a few QAYG, otherwise I work with the whole quilt, never in sections. It is so easy to quilt after a few.

Last edited by Jingle; 02-13-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:06 PM

I have a long arm - but I have quilted even large quilts on my regular old Brother sewing machine from Walmart for years before hand! I bought my long arm mostly for myself but I do quilt for others to earn a little extra fabric money. But I also quilt - A LOT. Daily. LOL* So that's part of why I bought it. But if I weren't going to ever quilt for others I probably just would have bought an extended throat sit down machine. Those expensive toys are FUN but not necessary. You and do it! The more you sew the more you'll know what is right for YOU.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
The quilt feels wonderful and looks great. I loved the fact that I could stash them quickly in the car (or by my chair when at someone's house) when we stopped every three hours or overnight. Here are three pictures. I will do this technique again. Hope this helps
Thank you! Pretty quilt!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM

I have quilted a few quilts on my Janome 6600 cot, single and what I think is called a twin in the USA, in the UK we call it a double. Again just meandering FmQ on the larger sizes but on the cot size I have started to be more adventurous. I think the most important part of quilting on a domestic sewing machine is making sure you have really sandwiched the quilt well and that there are no creases in that bottom layer......for me sewing the quilt altogether is the very best part....suddenly the quilt gest life and it changes from a caterpillar into a butterfly. I dream of a mid arm or a long arm but don't think I'll ever save enough to get one, but I also don't like the thought of someone else finishing what I have started so wouldn't ever send a quilt off to be done......but that is just a personal view as I know a lot of people do and they look amazing.