Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilts from 500 yards of fabric? >

How many quilts from 500 yards of fabric?

How many quilts from 500 yards of fabric?

Old 01-09-2011, 07:27 PM

Now I know why some of your beautiful sewing rooms look like the LQS !!! :-) I have never bought for a stash except a few fat quarters. My stash comes from leftovers - not necessarily scraps. Wow - you mean I can shop for projects AND stash??? Love this group!!! :-)
Old 01-09-2011, 07:31 PM

I probably have twice that much or more, but I still can't pass up a good sale or some fabric I just love.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
I have never done a complete inventory and I'm a little afraid to do so. Four yards of fabric weighs about one pound. When you have the largest Rubbermaid container and you can barely lift it (at least 50 lbs) you know it contains about 200 yards. I have a bin of each colour plus others (ie thirties, batiks, children's etc.) This week I did a re-organizing and culled a huge bag to donate to the Mennonite Relief Centre for their charity quilts. I have been collecting fabric since I was nine and much of my collection was given to me or purchased very reasonably at rummage, estate and clear out sales. My goal is now to finish a whole bunch of UFO's (didn't count those either) and only use fabric from my stash to do so. I now only buy fabric if there is absolutely nothing that will work in my collection.

WOW! 4 yards = 1 pound. Thanks for that information. Now I know why my back wants to complain when I shift my storage bins...not the really large type fortunately.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

I have more like 3,000 yards....wish you all lived closer..I need to share more of it apparently...though I just donated about half that much to several groups locally!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

WOW! 4 yards = 1 pound. Thanks for that information. Now I know why my back wants to complain when I shift my storage bins...not the really large type fortunately.[/quote]

that really depends on the fabric, if it has been washed, quality, if it is solid or printed, flannel, cotton, homespun, so many variables go into the weighing of fabric....
Old 01-09-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
WOW! 4 yards = 1 pound. Thanks for that information. Now I know why my back wants to complain when I shift my storage bins...not the really large type fortunately.
that really depends on the fabric, if it has been washed, quality, if it is solid or printed, flannel, cotton, homespun, so many variables go into the weighing of fabric....[/quote]

Don't forget to lift from the knees,not the back and keep saying to yourself"1 quilt,2 quilts,so many more quilts" Keep your fabric. It's of those few items in life that doesn't have an expiration date and brings so much happiness. If I wake up in a depressed mood and just thinking about my disease, I go into my fabric rooms and look at my fabrics and run my hands over them. Immediately the depression is lifting and my mind is filling with thoughts of a quilt that I want to make with some of those colors.The rhyme is one that my 4 year old granddaughter made up while she was playing with some of my scrap pieces.I told her that I was going to work it into a wall hanging and put it over my fireplace. If anyone else wants to use it ,that's fine.I think it suits pretty much every quilter I know.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:40 PM

Don't forget to lift from the knees,not the back and keep saying to yourself"1 quilt,2 quilts,so many more quilts" Keep your fabric. It's of those few items in life that doesn't have an expiration date and brings so much happiness. If I wake up in a depressed mood and just thinking about my disease, I go into my fabric rooms and look at my fabrics and run my hands over them. Immediately the depression is lifting and my mind is filling with thoughts of a quilt that I want to make with some of those colors.The rhyme is one that my 4 year old granddaughter made up while she was playing with some of my scrap pieces.I told her that I was going to work it into a wall hanging and put it over my fireplace. If anyone else wants to use it ,that's fine.I think it suits pretty much every quilter I know.[/quote]

Good body mechanics always....
Drilled into us in nursing school.....back in the days when they taught nursing arts comprehensively...
We old folks can identify with that.
I love your rhyme! I find quilting very therapeutic also...refuse to let my scleroderma stop me...(although my doctor always asks me how I do it. I always tell her...I could have something worse, so this doesn't stop me.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
Don't forget to lift from the knees,not the back and keep saying to yourself"1 quilt,2 quilts,so many more quilts" Keep your fabric. It's of those few items in life that doesn't have an expiration date and brings so much happiness. If I wake up in a depressed mood and just thinking about my disease, I go into my fabric rooms and look at my fabrics and run my hands over them. Immediately the depression is lifting and my mind is filling with thoughts of a quilt that I want to make with some of those colors.The rhyme is one that my 4 year old granddaughter made up while she was playing with some of my scrap pieces.I told her that I was going to work it into a wall hanging and put it over my fireplace. If anyone else wants to use it ,that's fine.I think it suits pretty much every quilter I know.
Good body mechanics always....
Drilled into us in nursing school.....back in the days when they taught nursing arts comprehensively...
We old folks can identify with that.
I love your rhyme! I find quilting very therapeutic also...refuse to let my scleroderma stop me...(although my doctor always asks me how I do it. I always tell her...I could have something worse, so this doesn't stop me.[/quote]

I'll be sure to tell my granddaughter that her granny is not the only one who loves her rhyme.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:23 AM

If you need to clear out some of that fabric so you can shop for me, I'll be glad for you to share it with me!

I don't have a huge stash -- and even if I plan to use it for a project, I always find that I'm missing something. So I go to the LQS and end up buying more stuff that I'll have to buy something else for later on. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:47 AM

At 7 yds. per quilt, not fancy ones, I figure 71 quilts , plus maybe 3/4 scrappy quilts, estimating 75 quilts.

Of course you will need to go buy more material because once you start, you won't have the exact match for the quilt you are working on.

I have loads of material, but 500 yds. I don't think so, maybe 300 yds. plus lots of scraps.