Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you keep track of your quilts? >

How many of you keep track of your quilts?

How many of you keep track of your quilts?

Old 07-01-2011, 08:29 PM

I have taken pictures of every single quilt and project I've made since I started quilting. I love looking at the pictures and remembering the quilt and who I gave it to. The pictures have the name of the quilt and the date I made it.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:33 PM

The first year I joined our "Quilts For Giving" group I kept track of the total I donated each month. For 3 years I set a goal of 200 and I made that goal those 3 years. Then I had to return to work and quit keeping a tally. I sure wished I had kept photos but now I have started taking photos of each quilt I make and donate.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 PM

I have one of those 4 X 6 cheap photo albums that I keep pics of a lot of them, BUT I know I don't have all in there. Most quilts I do have a pic somewhere. Don't really keep a journal though.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:31 PM

I photograph all my quilts. I still use film and when processed, always get duplicates. I write the information on the back of one of the photos which goes into my album along with the duplicate.

When I want to write a short note to someone, I get a duplicate picture of a quilt and use double sided tape and afix it to my stationary. Instant note card...orignial.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:43 PM

I also didn't see a need in the 1960's &1980's to document my projects. Now like you I miss the sight of them. I started a workbook, because my quilts always take on a life of their own, and is never true to a pattern. I keep in one binder the pattern, who it is for, my shopping list, and all the notes and dates of any changes. The last picture is of the completed quilt.
Then I have a customer porfolio of the finished quilts and it is divided into family, sold, and for sale. I try to have three of my best views per quilt.
Truth be told. It is my workbook, that seems to impress whomever. They like to see the history of a quilt.
Since my porfolio is getting large, I'm seriously thinking of using one of those digital picture frames, to carry in my hand bag. I get inquiries when I'm out, and it would be good to be able to give an on the spot soft sell.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:46 PM

I have a record of all my quilts in a 3-ring binder. I have a form I found somewhere in which I can record all the pertinent info. And I put pictures in the back. Now if I could just remember to make labels for everything, I would be good!
Old 07-02-2011, 04:58 AM

I photograph each quilt, project etc. date it, the name of the quilt and the size and keep these in a digital folder. I have referred to them many times to refresh my memory of technique, pattern, colors used or whatever.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:22 PM

I keep an album of all my quilts containing pictures, size, any interesting details etc. For some of my long-term projects, I like to journal alongside. An Example is my Dear Jane. whenever I make a block, I write a little about what is going on in my day, a quip from the kids mouths, etc. since this project has spanned a number of years, the journal has an interesting cross section of life in our family. my hope is that the journal and quilt are kept together.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by sidmona
I keep a journal with a picture, the date the quilt was finished, who it was for and the pattern or block name.
This is what I do also.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:08 AM

I don't journal or label them, but I do take pictures.
D