Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: How many of you quilt your own quilts?

Blog Entries
    I do all my quilting on my domestic machine. I'd like to learn to long arm though. I don't have one, or the space to put one. Someday....
    "A day patched with quilting seldom unravels."
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...C092AD2FC3.png

I do my own. I have done them on various domestic machines including FMQ on my Janome 6600. Now I mostly use my HQ16. I do still do some smaller items on the domestic machine.

Like my blog says, "It is good enough for who it's for."

I always quilt my own, on a regular machine. I have done queen size as the largest. I don't really enjoy free motion, but have gotten better at it. I feel a quilt I've made should be all my own work from start to finish. I can't afford to send them out anyway!

I have hand quilted, long arm quilted and now I am learning to quilt on my Janome 7700. I have been quilting for about 8 years now - started at our Senior Center where we had two old machines and a large hand quilting frame. There were four of us quilting when we decided to form a club. The club now owns about 20 machines, a 13" Bailey and a 25 year old Nustyle. There are about 40 members in the club now and most of them were like me, they learned to quilt at the center. Quilting has given my life a whole new purpose and I am so glad I tried it. My health is not as good as it was (I am on dialysis) so I wanted the Janome to learn to fmq while I sit down lol. I think weather you quilt it yourself or send it out it is still your quilt - do what works for you.

I have quilted all of my own quilts on my domestic size Bernina. Never have sent one out and I have made over 200 quilts. Probably about 20 of them queen size.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

I quilt almost all of my quilts. I even quilted an oversized king size quilt on my Bernina. I am not yet an expert on FMQ; but my SID is great. I did send my last two quilts to a long arm quilter. I was pleased with her work and the cost; but it took over two months to get each of the quilts back. I'm going to work harder on my FMQ and quilt my own from now on.

I quilt my own, usually a process of quilt as you go. I am finally getting the rhythm for free motion quilting in my head, and enjoy the process very much. I turned out to be much faster than I originally thought, it was like jumping off a cliff the first few times.
    pat design

So far, I am making only lap and baby quilts. Some I machine quilt by SID and the others I have my Amish friend quilt. For my daughters wedding present, a large King size Double Wedding Ring, I had a quilting at my house. Many of my Amish neighbors came. They had it quilted by 3:30 pm. Such fun!

Blog Entries
    I have only made one lap quilt and I stitched in the ditch for that one on my Bernina. I have another lap quilt top made and I'm waiting for the baking fabric, that will be done on my Bernina as well in a meander. I don't mind doing the smaller quilts, but I don't think I would try to wrestle a big quilt and quilt it with my Bernina. Thank goodnes I only have one more lap quilt planned,then I can go back to knitting and crocheting.

Always do my own on my regular machine. I haven't made any bigger than a throw so it hasn't been a problem. Bigger than that I would have to send it out.

Blog Entries
    I quilted my first one as a Sunshine for my quilting buddy, Shirley. It took almost a week and it was done in one inch grid. That was an ordeal and I was sore in the shoulders from pushing and pulling, but it turned out rather well for a beginner. I quilted it on the Janome Horizon. Could have been worse. It gave me courage to try again.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

I would do my own.....if I ever have time when not doing those of my customers. when I started my business, I hoped I would be busy, but never thought I wouldn't have time to do my own!!!

I do my own quilting. I had one that I sent to be done by a LA quilter. She told me how much she charged per square inch I needed it for gift so I had her do it. I figured how much it would be and was SHOCKED when she called me to come pick it up and gave me her price. I was charged for things I didn't even know what it was . Never again! I can't afford to buy fabric and pay LA quilter prices. I agree that they look much more elegant than mine but we all have to do what we have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanniejo View Post
    I do my own quilting. I had one that I sent to be done by a LA quilter. She told me how much she charged per square inch I needed it for gift so I had her do it. I figured how much it would be and was SHOCKED when she called me to come pick it up and gave me her price. I was charged for things I didn't even know what it was . Never again! I can't afford to buy fabric and pay LA quilter prices. I agree that they look much more elegant than mine but we all have to do what we have to.
    Quilting is supposed to be a-shall we say-a frugal art-form that has a very important utility function (keeping warm at night) built right in. Farming out my quilts would be counterproductive in that regard. I know prices are shooting up for every aspect of quiltmaking/sewing. But I design my quilts myself and only select finishing techniques that I can do at home-rag quilting, tying, machine/handwork of a simple nature, etc. "Fancy work" is limited to piecing patchwork, applique techniques, and machine sewing that I do myself here at my own home with my simple mechanical sewing machines. I know my methods are not very high end, fancy, lady-like quilt shops, or suitable for magazine layouts/quilt shows. The quilts & blankets are probably just a durable (perhaps more so) and convey something of myself. That is enough for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 04-22-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    I quilt my own quilts. I have a 9" Viking Husq. Mega Quilter on a b-line frame set up to 10' in my livingroom. I enjoy the quilting just as much as I enjoy the piecing the blocks together.
    Kathyj

I quilt all my quilts by hand. I don't particularly like machine quilting or embroidery, although I have seen some nice work on here.
    I also like to piece by hand, if it is an herloom, like for a family member.
    One concession I have made to modernity is that I no longer make full-sized quilts. I enjoy making lap-quilts and sampler baby quilts.
    So far this year I have made 5 projects ( a Hawaiiam quilting pillow and 3 lap quilts and a baby quilt.) I am about 3/4 done with a pieced and appliqued top (from a Thimbleberries book) for a lap quilt for my husband. It is almost entirely hand-pieced, hand-embroidered and will be hand-quilted to last long after I am dust.
    I guess machine-quilting is the future, but I like the old-fashioned look and feel of the old way.
    Lottie
    Be Yourself. Everyone else is taken.

I've been quilting for a little over a year and I have done all my own - first straight-line machine quilting, then muscling the quilt in my little Janome to get squares and outlines, and finally FMQ! the largest I have quilted is probably 5'x7'.
    What I have learned is (1) match my design ideas to my ability to quilt and (2) quilting takes time. Most of my problems have been getting fancy designs I can't execute nicely, and being impatient to hurry it along so I can give it to whomever. Those 3 little words "quilt as desired" can result in just as much work as creating the quilt top does! My most recent quilt has SID, outline tracing squares, FMQ leaves and trefoil motif to match the fabric motifs, and wavy lines which follow the cable border stripe.

Maybe next time I will just meander little wave-curls around the quilt like a fancy mattress pad and be done with it!
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

I quilt my own and it really doesn't take that long. For a queen size with simple quilting like meandering or swirls it will take about 5hrs. If I use a stencil for some of it or do a more complex FMQ it will take a little loner. I think the most time I've ever spent quilting a queen sz was 8hrs and that used a different stencil in each of 3 borders and fmq around flowers in the quilt with meandering as a fill. I use my Viking Sapphire 870.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

My experience is similar to many. I began hand quilting, then had some done professionally. Took a class in MQ, and do mostly small ones myself on my Janome 9000. Still keep thinking about the Sweet Sixteen machine I test drove at a recent quilt show. It's $4,000, though, and don't see how I could work that into the budget. Have no place to put a huge long arm, and didn't really enjoy it the time I took a class using one. Maybe things will change, but for now, I don't make many huge quilts anyway.

I have always quilted my own. I am considering sending my latest quilt out for quilting because it is a queen and I just don't want to try it with my own little machine. I could never justify the cost of sending my work out when I could do the work my self and learn how to avoid problems, errors and so on.

Mine fall into three categories: those that go to my long-armer, those that I machine quilt, and those that I hand quilt. Right now that is the order. More go to the LA than I machine myself. Only a very special few are hand quilted. I make most of my quilts to be used, not for storing in a closet, so I want them machine done.
    \

I send mine out for at least 2 reasons. I have a very good long arm quilter lady who is quite good & I think very reasonable in pricing. I'd rather use her so that I can get busy piecing my next quilt. I have a good relationship with her so she gets them done in a timely manner.
    MLOQuilts

Blog Entries
    I hand quilt my own.
    J J
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I quilt my own. I feel like the quilt is mine and all of the work should be mine. I also have a couple of good friend who lend me time on their LA machines. I FMQ smaller items at home.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieC View Post
    I usually do my own, unless it is too big (I'm going to start a super King size - that will be too big) OR it is super special - those I send to my LAQ.
    That's my answer, too.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast