Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you quilt your own quilts?

I hand quilt all my own quilts. I thought of having one sent out, but didn't want to spend the money

I TRY and quilt my own. I'm sucky quilting so to be honest all I've ever done is quilt in the ditch. Maybe someday I'll try my hand at free motion. But so far too chicken. I did send 2 quilts out to be quilted and love them. Got a really good deal on ebay to have them done,otherwards I would have done them myself

I always do my own, I have not tried a king size yet, but everything else I can do
    Juliebelle

Blog Entries
    I too do them myself. First, I tied, then stitch in the ditch, and am now working and just about finished first fmq. It takes practice but is so worth it.

Blog Entries
    Can I ask how much it costs to send a quilt out to a LAQ in the US - say a single bed size / double bed size and for just a simple quilting design all over.
    QB Albums: Street Directory Quilt; Selvedge Quilts;

I go to a ladies house, she charges $10.00 per hour & I do it myself. She helps me get started. She was an adult ed. quilt teacher,very patient & nice. I have done 3 king sz. ones on her machine so far.One free hand design & the other two with a pattern. They have come out nice. Two took me 3 hrs. $45.00 & the last one took me 4hrs & she charged me $50.00. I really feel very gratefull for this service. Otherwise I stitch in the ditch for any smaller ones. Maybe there is a service like this near you, check it out. Rowena101

I haven't been quilting for very long, but I have always machine quilted my own quilts. Hubby gave me a Bailey Quilter for Christmas so I can quilt larger quilts now. I don't have a frame, I use a sit down set up. I don't have the room for a frame.

Blog Entries
    I have only sent one out to be quilted on a long arm and the rest I do my own hand quilting on. I find it very relaxing and rewarding but sometimes I find I am to impatient and want it finished now but I persevere & eventually it gets finished or if I get bored with it I put it aside and work on something else. I find I feel very rewarded when I get one finished.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

I have never sent to a longarm quilter, mainly because Mom always quilts by hand, and I like to follow traditions. My daughter also does hers by hand

Blog Entries
    I have always quilted my own. Although, I'm no expert and haven't done extensive designs. I also like the feeling that I did it all. My mom has a long arm so I do get to have fun on that, but I have only done two on the long arm. The rest I have done on my domestic and it does give my arms a work out and I need that.

I hand quilt all mine

Blog Entries
    I always quilt my own quilts on my domestic machine. I've done from wall hangings up to king size.
    Quilting Angel

I always quilt my own quilts... I like to look a totally completed quilt and know that I did every stitch on it. All but one quilt has been done by machine. After quilting in the ditch with my Bernina 153 I decided to buy a Bernina 440 which has the Stitch Regulator on it and I love using it as well. Sometimes it's a little hard, but with practice I've learned to handle a queen size pretty well on it. I did hand quilt one and decided it takes too long.
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

I FMQ my own on a Bernina with the BSR ( Bernina Stitch Regulator ), I think it has a 7 1/2" throat. One quilt was way too big and I tied it. By the time I spend money on the quilt fabrics, batting and backing, sending it out to be quilted is way too much for my purse. However, several from my quilt gathering do send theirs out to be quilted, I just happen to love the whole quiltmaking process.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymom444 View Post
    I think that quilting my own tops is my favorite part of the whole quilting process! I just love it and hope to one day have my own long arm to make it even more fun!!
    where is Bloomfield, New York. I live in NE Ohio and would be happy to bring some of my tops to you to practice on!!!!!

I quilt my on tops due to I can not afford to send them out. I knew that quilting was not a cheap hobby when I started so I would rather spend my money on fabric then the quilting.

I used to hand quilt, but I stopped because my fingers fall asleep. I do free motion or quilt in the ditch on small quilts and send twins and larger to a LAQ. Someday I'd like to have my own LA. Not sure where I'd put one .

There are a variety of reasons I quilt my own quilts:
    1. I don't know anyone who quilts, let alone a LAQ'er. Don't belong to a guild of any kind, so no connections.
    2. I'm sort of a control freak. I want absolute design control over my work. I do mostly original designs, so the quilting needs to accentuate that.
    3. I should think the money I'd spend hiring the work out would allow me to buy lots more fabric and dye supplies.
    4. I would be too embarassed at how wonky my tops sometimes come out to hand it to someone else! Seriously...I have to do some creative "squaring" sometimes. I think a LAQ'er would be horrified at the prospect of making my work look square(ish).
    5. The feeling of accomplishment when I get my quilting and binding done--it's so rewarding! Knowing I made every stitch in the quilt is priceless to me.

I do all my sewing on an older Singer 9910 and a REALLY old 201-2.
    "And I guess I might have made a few mistakes.
    But maybe that's exactly what it takes.
    To get a little happy in this big sad world..."
    ​One Line Wonder, The Avett Brothers

I've always quilted my own. Started out just doing straight line stitching on my home machine. Then got a new bigger machine (Janome 6600) and started doing FMQ. Now I have a frame and mid-arm quilter. Hoping some day to get a LAQ.

I do all hand quilting. I only have a small apt. but I do have a quilting frame. I think it is enjoyable until I get the cramp and then tv time.

I quilt all my quilts no matter what size. I just do it!
    It is a quilt made by me after all.

I love all the "professional" quilted ones. I really admire them.
    Renea

A quilting I will go......

www.somethinginthemaking.blogspot.com

I always quilt my own.
    Years ago, we used to laugh at my little 3 yr old daughter, for the longest time we weren't allowed to use the word 'help' she would actually scream if we said it. It was "Monca do it self"

She must have inherited her mom and dad's tendency to do things themselves. I just wouldn't feel right not finishing what I started.
    I'd rather have mistakes I made, than perfection someone else made
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

I would not attempt to quilt a large quilt, but I am trying to learn free motion quilting on smaller charity quilts. Some day (maybe) I will attempt a larger quilt---after I've had a lot more practice. The quilters on this board amaze me! I want to be able to FMQ like that when I grow up. lol
    Last edited by nstitches4u; 04-22-2012 at 10:42 AM.

I stated hand quilting, just table toppers. Then I relaized I wouldn't be able to do many quilts that way. I was hooked on quilting couldn't afford to have my quilts LA so I learned to free motion quilt 5 years ago. Started on small projects first. Lots of practice with table runners. Then I got a Pfaff expression 2 and and I have done larger quilts. Now I have a Pfaff Creative 2 and I am quilting queen size to king size quilts with ease they take awhile but they are beautiful when they are done and they are done by me. I took 2 FM quilying classes and watched a lot of Youtube videos and have many books on free motion quilting. Now I custon quilt for others who don't FM Quilt, Smaller quilts mostly since most of the LA around here would rather not do small table and wall quilts. It takes practice, practice, practice.

I am making tops for my husband, 2kids, 4grandkids, and 7greatgrandkids. I am going to send the full sized ones for la quilt lady. The twin sized ones I am going to try to quilt on my machine.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast