Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's >

How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's

How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's

Old 02-10-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by cindyjean
When over whelmed, I have a rule of "3".. Just take care of 3 items each day. Often times when I do this more than 3 things get taken care of amd if not, then at least 3 things are put away..
This is the BEST way for tackling any problem. I have used it for years and it always gets me focused - and the mess cleaned up.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Oh boy I am sitting here at the PC when I should be tidying up. But here goes. I have started a downsize plan. I have marked those medium size plastic tubs (w/covers) for notions, tools and such. More org to come later. Then threads. Now for fabric. I have two methods: by color in slidimg baskets in wall units and by project. The large zip bags (2.5 ga) are perfect. These are now stored in large tubs. I can then pull out a project and decide do, give away, or toss. I'm serious this time. NO new purchases til the job is done.
All my sister quilters on this site I am asking for thoughts and prayers to get finished with this mess.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 AM

I don't consider myself an "organized" person, but I do need to have a clean area to work in. I set my sewing "studio" up in a triangle. My fabric stash is arranged by color in a tall bookcase, my UFO's are in another tall bookcase each project's fabric and pattern in a bag or box waiting for me, in one corner of my studio. This corner also contains my embroidery machine, embroidery threads, patterns,etc. My piecing/ironing area are set across the room near a large window. Then on the third point of the triangle which takes up the width of the room is my quilting machine, bookcases with rulers, templetes, thread, books, patterns. One short bookcase is used as my "office" with phone and office supplies.

In the middle of the room is a cutting station with a large cutting table behind which is a batting rack so I am able to pull the batting off the roll directly onto the cutting table to cut what I need.

I cut my scraps as soon as I finish cutting out a project and put the scraps in plastic pull out drawers as to size of scrap.

After each project I place any notions or tools that I used back in their place and get ready for the next project. I have found that this helps me to always know where they are.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 AM

Wow how big is your space?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Well, I just gave the 15 minute thing a try...and it wasnt too bad. I got two plastic bins reorganized and put a collection of fabric together that had previously been in seperate containers....so far so good.
A tip that works for me. I do have a labeler, and find it very handy. I label all my tools and some containers, but the majority of containers I seem to move around...such as moving from a small one to a bigger one (more often that way than the reverse lol) But I have found using labels written on some pretty cardstock with an acid free marker, and tucked in front of the fabric lets me easily upsize or downsize if needed. I use white, but you could use some fun patterned paper. Not to expensive, and looks nice....and very easy to move the label.
I am done for the day! Tomorrow another 15 minutes, maybe more! Wishing you all success with your organizing! Peggy
Old 02-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
Everyone here inspires me so much! My problem is that I have no funds to purchase any of the nice organizational tubs, drawers, bookcases, etc. I've wracked my brain trying to figure out ways to do this without putting out any money.

My mom gave me a few clear recyclable containers that cookies from Sams club came in. They work nice. But I don't buy these kinds of things. I've tried looking at the cardboard boxes of packaged food but we don't eat much of that stuff either?

Any hints to help me out?
Try Freecycle it is like creigs list only things are free. Keep an eye out for people moving or yard sales. sometines they get rid of totes with a crack or broken, duck tape works great.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Anyone want to give me their name and address to send fabric to?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:57 AM

I had to give up my sewing room to my son when he came back to live with us, so now my sewing room is the little TV room next to our bedroom and I don't have the space to put hardly anything, so my stash ended up in a storage unit and with the cold weather I can't get into it like I want. Can't wait to go through it and see what all I have been missing. Whats nice though is the fact that I can watch TV and do some sweing on my machine or sit on the couch and do hand sewing. it still keeps me busy, but I miss all of my storage boxes with my material!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM

How did you find out who to send you UFOs and fabrics to? It's such a good idea. You're a genius to think of this. I give a lot to homeless shelters, etc. My special place to donate stuff is to families who have lost everything due to fires, floods or storms.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 PM

i find the 15 minutes a day thing works best for me... i can always manage to get 15 minutes... well almost always... and if i pick one area... like just straightening up & wiping down the countertop.. it makes the room look so much better and i usually wind up finding something i was looking for.