Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's >

How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's

How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's

Old 02-09-2011, 10:01 PM

I think everyone has what works for them. I don't do anything until I have containers to seperate things into. Why try, Then I take a section and start. I also label, drawers containers, etc. Then work a little each day till compleated. In my younger years I could in a day now I go a little slower haha.... I have a spot for knitting, crocheting, sweedish weave, genealogy, and even me. Oh yes, counted cross stitch. I get grrrr when I can't find something. Bottom line hon, you need to find what works for you? (((hugs))) We know you can do it. :)
Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 PM

I used to live in a 3 bedroom house and had a sewing room. Now I live in a 2 bedroom apt with my daughter. I have to store things in boxes behind the seating in the livingroom, in part of my bedroom and in my closet. Everytime I want fabric I have to go through rubbermaid tubs or boxes. It is the pits but I don't know where else to put them. I don't want to drive to the storage unit when I want fabric.
I hate the clutter. I have a cabinate in my room but there are boxes in front of it so I have to move those before I can get into it.
We are starting a quilting group at church and I have started culling things to donate for that.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:50 AM

You've inspired me again! I moved last summer, soon had back surgery, then a heart attack a week later, so have been delayed in organizing my new sewing room/office. (Yes, I'm fine now.) This room is much smaller than the one I moved from, so this is quite a challenge. Thanks to all of you for the many suggestions; they are so helpful. I'd like to add one of the most helpful items I've found to the list of suggestions: I bought a jewelry chest with drawers to the floor and it's great for all those little items. A drawer for thread,another for scissors, one for cutting tools, etc.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:18 AM

My I suggest you made a pencil sketch of what you want your sewing space to look like?

I want myfabric storage to look like the back wall of JoAnns. I have out of sight=out of mind syndrome. I don't mind patterns in drawers, but they need to be in different sections, not all stuffed together. If I'm looking for a baby pattern, I don't want to look through 45 dress patterns first.

By having a picture taped to the back of the sewing room door, I can take a couple minutes every hours and know where to put stuff away. It isn't pretty yet, but it is getting there.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:21 AM

Just another quick suggestion,,, There are lots of quilters on this board who struggle to have fabric to sew with. Today I mailed 25 of those $10 boxes full of kits, panels, Christmas, large scraps, a 1/2 done UFO and all the stuff to finish, etc. I can't possibly use everything I have so I sent it to people who work hard to enjoy this hobby. Some know it is coming, some don't. The best part? I didn't have to call my stuff junk and toss it...I called it a gift and gave it away. Yippee. Half my clutter gone.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by grandmaofeight
All the suggestions are great. I had to move my sewing room out of my guest room and am moving into a converted shed. I have bins of fabric and "stuff" in every closet of my house, under beds, and stacked in corners. My goal is to have a well organized "Quilting shop" of my very own. Thanks for all the tips!!
How will you keep out the mice? A DF had stuff ruined from one of those paid storage places.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 AM

i have a way to store my fabric . I go to my fabric store and ask for the empty cardboard from the bolts , sometimes i cut them in half to store some small pieces of fabric. I went to micheals and bought the white three drawer chest stacked them glued two shelves together and use this as my sewing table the three drawer chest come in a variety of drawers some 3 drawers some 4 drawer and even a desk organizer. I space them to make a great sewing area when you stack 2 and then add the shelves it looks great. I used the old tv armoire to store my bolts and add my plastic shoe boxes on top with all fat quarters color codeI hope this will help Happy Organizing :thumbup:
Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 AM

I have been collecting plastic boxes etc to organize with...I do better when I am prepared and have something to put it in.....got a lot of magazine etc put in order and that helps. I have lot more to do...............
Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 AM

I save my UFO's for the last week in Oct and work on them until the end of the year and not start anything new.this help me rid my sewing room and then I have gifts for Xmas and lots more room hope this helps :thumbup:
Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 AM

I just bought 8 x 10 foam core and cut it into 8 x 10 inch pieces. The smaller pieces I had left hold my ribbon, lace, ricrak and all those other little trims.

Fat quarters are stored in plastic shoe boxes. I can see from the side exactly which colors I have. They stack well too.

On the back of the door I hung a clear/see through, shoe holder. I can drop little tools, measuring tapes, tiny scissors, glue, glue stick and small pits of wonderunder in the pockets. See what I have and...my buttonhole foot isn't lost for years at a time anymore.