Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's >

How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's

How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's

Old 02-09-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by np3
I am so different from most of you!!! When I decide something needs to be purged or organized, it all comes out of the closet/cupboard/hiding place. I put it on a bed/floor/whatever. This lets me see how much I have and I can decide on the best method of organizing. If it isn't all out of the way, there isn't room to start putting it back on shelves or in totes. I label my shelves/totes and then start putting things back. Nothing goes back in until I know that it is the place where it needs to stay. I get so excited about how it is coming together that I don't mind the bed or floor being piled high while I am getting it done. Just me I guess!!!!
This is my method, as well.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:13 PM

The nicest thing about tidying the sewing room is finishing...I have just spent the last few days sorting it all out so that next month we can decorate and put in better storage, and I finished about an hour ago !
Everything now has a place, all my fabric is sorted, organised by colour and in storage boxes. All the bits and bobs have a home and all my books are in order.
I have found so many things I had forgotten...it has been like going on a huge shopping spree.
...so I am sitting here feeling really good....just wondering how long it will last !!

box 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129714[/ATTACH]

box2 of 10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129715[/ATTACH]

one of the cupboards
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129839[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-129709.jpe   attachment-129710.jpe   attachment-129834.jpe  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:22 PM

I'm a 15 minutes at a time person. Recently I "attacked" some small projects and got them all done. I am so proud. Some other day I'll do another 15 minutes. Progress in small bits.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:22 PM
AAD

I have just recently gone to www.flylady.com that uas suggested by someone on here and it is really helping me. give it a try.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:00 PM

I'm still trying - so will enjoy reading the ideas here
Old 02-09-2011, 04:19 PM

I always differentiate between whether it is my desire to clean up, or the cobweb chasers' opinions that I ought to clean up (what do they know?). If it is my decision, it is easy - lots of transparent containers placed in logical places and it is done in no time.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Pamela Artman and QuiltNGanny, you both sound like geniuses to me. I have made so many attempts at organizing, but it all comes to a halt before the task is completed. I have decided that I have too many DIFFERENT CRAFTS, ETC. in the same room. I have purged, but evidently not enough. I have purchased the plastic drawer storage bins, boxes, totes, etc. And all is in vain. I just hope I live long enough to put it in order so my children don't have to get in there and "clear it out." Somehow I do manage to do my sewing. (even though I bring my sewing machine to the dining table when I have machine quilting to do) You people are an inspitation to me so that I just keep on truckin' hoping one day I'll "get it."
Old 02-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
About every 2 weeks I get an urge to organize, clean, purge and sort! When I have spent all day doing all of that I can't find anything!
:lol: AMEN to that :lol:
Old 02-09-2011, 05:09 PM

Great topic even if it has been brought up before. :-D
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 PM

when I reorganize, I usually find something I started and think, Oh, I need to finish that....and I am then side tracked.