Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's >

How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's

How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's

Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 PM

It took a while to get organized but I stay that way by making sure I clean up after myself after every time I sew.
So once you get there, keep up a daily effort to avoid collecting clutter.

Good luck!!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:40 PM

sorry--duplicate
Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 PM
LMB

When my children were small I used to call a friend who also had kids and set a play date for the kids and an organizing date for the mommies. We would laugh and drink coffee and take turns with the kids... but all in all we got a lot done. Sometimes it was closets or the basement or whatever... sometimes my house, sometimes hers. An elephant sandwitch goes faster if two people eat it. hahahaha
Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shirleyg
This topic about organizing has really hit home to me. I am really fustrated with myself and my sewing room(actuall 3 rooms, I have a long arm in one. I love the plastic containers but I thought it wasn't good to leave fabric in them to long, that it will rot over time or is this not true. I have thought about the bags you put small items in to wash them. I think they come in large sizes. Thank you ladies,I have found the best new friends.
I don't think there is a problem with plastic boxes unless they are airtight. I would not use plastic bags that are sealed however. I use the stacking plastic drawers and there is plenty space for airflow and I have never had any problems.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 PM

Good luck. I recently sorted and organized so I could put another vintage machine in my sewing room. I was also looking for 3 Christmas presents. The sewing machine is in there but still missing the presents. This weekend, I hope to tackle it some more and find even just my daughter's present. I use the plastic bin method with labels on them for the fabric. For the notions, I have a sewing box plus a night stand type of chest of drawers.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
i love the 3 rule that is great
I love this too. My husband has a saying, which is similar. Just say you are going to only work for a half hour. He relates that the most difficult thing to do is to get started but if you try and use his half hour advice, you will end up working longer and get more done because you do not feel overwhelmed at the beginning. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 PM

I recently organized my sewing room and here is what I did. In Nov/Dec when I was working on my Christmas quilts I purchased one of those 6 drawer rolling bins from JoAnns and as I cut out my blocks for my individual quilts I put them into the plastic boxes. When I was ready to work on the quilt I just pulled out the box and it was ready to be worked on. (They are full again). I also purchased 2 additional shelving units to hold more fabric and my books. I just started by straightening up what I had and then going thru the boxes and bins full of fabric. It took me a good week or two and it can still use some organization but it is manageable for me now. Do a little bit at a time so it doesn't overwhelm you.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:48 PM

walmart also has assemble yourself boxes with lids, called I believe banker's boxes. Very reasonable. maybe 8 bucks for 6 to 8 of them?? and space on each end to write what is inside. strong and stack well. or try "repurposing" something you already have. maybe you can hang more clothes and free up a couple of drawers for fabric. or an old toybox. liquor stores usually have terrific boxes free. just find out from your local place if and when boxes are available. grocery stores might still have some boxes if you contact them ahead of time. or see if friends have something they don't need and maybe you can trade something for, maybe they need help and you can trade your time? just some oddball thoughts from someone who has been there!! good luck.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:15 PM

The "3" rule sounds good to me also--in fact, I think I'll try it tomorrow.
Good luck, Kutnso
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 PM

WOW, all of these are great suggestions, i guess i better get busy also, one day at a time.