Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's >

How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's

How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's

Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM

I am in the process and so far have boxes by project - I have other plastic boxes sorted by color for things not designated for a project - Take it slow and good luck.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 AM

I also use the plastic bins...but I have them stacked on the metal shelves that have wheels so I can roll one or the other out of the closet...I got this idea from Judith Baker Montano in her home studio, she has about a dozen of these!
My plastic bins are labeled and the fabric is grouped by color or type. Since I do crazy quilts, I save smaller pieces of fabric rather than yardage! go here to see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5208699...7604915567034/
My ribbons: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5208699...7604915567034/
my threads and beads: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5208699...7604915567034/
I agree with some of the other comments, it feels so good and enjoyable when the sewing room is organized!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Looking for a bobbin for an old machine, I found my Dritz tracing paper and wheel from 1954 (high school home ec) and am using it again. never know what you will find.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by tutty
If I would only get the fabric sorted sized and cut and folded, I would be one happy woman.
Me too. Must be the sunshine.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 AM

You sound so organized! Could you show us some pictures? Please.....
Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 AM

[quote=BJ SewKkrazzy]I also use the plastic bins...but I have them stacked on the metal shelves that have wheels so I can roll one or the other out of the closet...I got this idea from Judith Baker Montano in her home studio, she has about a dozen of these!

WOW. Two of your rolling shelf units are the size of my whole sewing room! How big is your sewing area?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 PM

When I am bound and determinded to do something I can really get something done. Last week I wanted to organize my material.
I have a closet in my sewing room, so I got started building shelves, all by myself. I didn't stop until I had it finished. Of course it took about a week to do it. All my material on shelves where I could see what I had and in a closet where no one could see it but me. I didn't organize them by color but by material type. I also found 4 tops that I had pieced but not quilted. So that makes 6 tops to quilt by hand, plus 2 that is in the plans that I want to put together. Love it.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlonger
Try not to get side-tracked: oh peek in this book , fondle this material, set aside this..thats my three for the day!!!
The story of my life. I love my plastic drawers, and all the miscellaneous fabric and books piled on top of them, and also the stuff on the bed in the guest room. Well, at least it's out where I can see it and remember what I was intending to do...
Old 02-09-2011, 01:45 PM

Well, I just straighten up my area. My problem is that once I start something, it is like I get obsessed. I don't finish until it is all done. Took me two solid days to get it just like I want it; but I have noticed a couple of things already that need my attention. Maybe sometime this week, or month. :D :D :roll:
Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 PM

Try checking out the office supply stores. They have paper boxes and other boxes that have nice lids. I have gone in and just ask about boxes and they give them to me. Just an idea.
Originally Posted by mzsooz
Everyone here inspires me so much! My problem is that I have no funds to purchase any of the nice organizational tubs, drawers, bookcases, etc. I've wracked my brain trying to figure out ways to do this without putting out any money.

My mom gave me a few clear recyclable containers that cookies from Sams club came in. They work nice. But I don't buy these kinds of things. I've tried looking at the cardboard boxes of packaged food but we don't eat much of that stuff either?

Any hints to help me out?