Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you have responded? >

How would you have responded?

How would you have responded?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
Be straight forward with her. Tell her exactly why you won't share--- it's the right thing.
Same thing applies to CDs and computer programs. It is amazing the really nice people who think nothing of this kind of theft.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:55 AM

"PERHAPS YOU DIDN"T UNDERSTAND. IT IS COPYWRITED.
(and perhaps I can't spell!)

Please don't put your pattern designer in the same position that is so uncomfortable to you. She has to buy her own pattern.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I agree with everyone. If you loose this "friendship" because of this, I don't think you've lost anything!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:05 AM

I think a response that "the designer is my friend and the product is under copyright. I can't give you a copy." is sufficient.

I understand avoiding confrontation but if the lady is willing to push you after what you have already said, she's not much of a friend.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
"you mean it's too expensive for YOU to buy, but it's not too expensive for ME to buy?"
Since when it is OK for someone else to dip into your wallet to get THEIR goodies? Tell her "H!LL NO!"

And BTW, some people don't understand anything less than a confrontation.
I'm with ptquilts....some people have nerve! Say it with the same emphasis....it may be she's not that nervy she just never thought of it the right way. If you say it with the above emphasis she can't help but get the message.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 AM

Tell her "no way for free" she has to buy the pattern like everyone else has to.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:15 AM

This is a good opportunity to educate this person. You can refer to having to pay royalties for songs played, copyright laws in publications, and the chance to honor the creativity of quilters and designers as just as professional and worthy of compensation as other forms of creativity. It's not the 19th century any more and the fiber arts have reached a whole new level.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 AM

I don't think the 'friend' cannot afford it, I think the woman is just plain cheap, wanting something for nothing. Ethical people do not do that to their friends. Besides, quilting is not exactly cheap when you consider the tools, time, fabric purchases etc. Sounds like she is a 'fair-weather' friend. Not my kind.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by gzuslivz
If you are ok with it, you could tell her that while you won't violate copyright law and cheat a mutual friend but you will sell it to her:-) Tell her that you wouldn't cheat her if she was the designer, either.
Okay, I'm rather new to quilting, but the area of copyrights is quite fuzzy to me. I understand the purpose of copyrighting and I agree that if the pattern is copyrighted you cannot share it. However, why is it okay then to sell it to somebody else to use AFTER you have used it? It doesn't give the creator any more money, it just basically gives you, the user, a free pattern. Just one of those things that makes you go, hmmmmm.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 AM

Seems like we're all of the same mind. Not only is it illegal, if she's a friend of the designer also, she ought to be ashamed of trying to take $ out of the designer's hand. And as far as I'm concerned it's just downright rude of her to even ask.