Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: And how was your day?

Mine was my GRANDmommy. She taught me to sew when I'd spend time with her on weekends and in the summer. Even after I was married and all grown up I had trouble finishing a project if I ran into trouble with it so I'd throw it in a tub in a closet. When my Memaw would come to visit she'd get that tub out and make all the boo-boos go away. She's been gone since 1983, but even after all this time when something doesn't go right I want my Memaw!

I love your the story of your day, so descriptive and funny. I like the way you cured yourself.

Oh, how funny!!!

Blog Entries
    Awwww.
    Sounds like you need a great big hug.
    At least you can laugh at yourself. Have a better day tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Grammy o'5
    LOL! :lol: My mom would tell us (my sisters and me) how to fix it, but then we had to do it.
    Our mothers were like-minded! :D

you are too funny. I want you for my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv
    Quote Originally Posted by mawcarol
    My momma never sewed much. She worked in the cotton mill and then later in other textile plants. What I am getting around to is she was legally blind by her 50's The day after her momma died I took her to get her results from a breast biopsy. She hab to have a masectomy(I am terrible speller sorry). She was put on tomoxpin and had to take it for 5 years. At the end of that she was so happy until she started passing blood.The med to keep the cancer from coming back caused uterin cancer which was a very agressive type(Doctoe compaired it to cervical cancer and said the med caused it. She lived about 6 month after we found out and had chemo and redation.
    She is my hero. and I miss her so much it will be 2 years this November since she went to be with Jesus. She was a strong woman I only hope to be half as strong as she was.
    I hope I haven't brought everyone down but I want to say Hug your momma and tell her how much she means to you.
    Mawcarol,

This didn't bring me down...it did make me think more of my own Mom, who passed away this summer. She was my hero, too. My daughter claims her as a role model - a person who never let adversity overcome her, who always found a way to get things done and who loved and helped her family in any way she could.

She lived with me for the last 6 months of her life. That's when I started quilting. She was angry with me because I had 'rules' about bedtime (she had dementia and wasn't supposed to be left alone.) She didn't like that we installed a gate at the top of the stairs. She didn't like taking "orders" from her kids! One day, after one of her bouts of anger, I sat down with her and asked her did she remember the time when I was a little kid and after a punishment, I told her "Just you wait until I'm the grown up and YOU'RE the little kid!"?

She chuckled, and admitted she did. Then I said to her as gently as I could,

"Well, Mom, I'm the grown up and you're the little kid."

I expected another bout of anger, but she just looked at me for a few seconds. Then she said, "I guess you're right."

After that, she had a lot fewer temper tantrums. I know the temper was the dementia, and I know she knew it, too. That was the saddest thing.

I treasure those last few months with her - they were difficult, but they were a gift.

Thanks for sharing the life of your wonderful mother with us all. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is touched by it!
    My mother has dementia also, so I can relate to the anger and tantrums. She lives in a dementia facility and blames me for EVERYTHING even tho it was the dr. who placed her there. It is hard to see her like that and hear the things she says to me, they are really hurtful, but I just need to keep reminding myself that it is not really my mother, but the dementia making her this way.

at least you've made it a "better" day for the rest of us! i'm stitching along, hand quilting, a pretty 'safe' project so hearing about your adventures was a blast. wish we all could have that much fun messing up.

Blog Entries
    That was a great story about lessons learned...good for you!! And here's a switch....I taught my mommy to quilt...when she was 84 years old!! :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baubo1234
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv
    Quote Originally Posted by mawcarol
    My momma never sewed much. She worked in the cotton mill and then later in other textile plants. What I am getting around to is she was legally blind by her 50's The day after her momma died I took her to get her results from a breast biopsy. She hab to have a masectomy(I am terrible speller sorry). She was put on tomoxpin and had to take it for 5 years. At the end of that she was so happy until she started passing blood.The med to keep the cancer from coming back caused uterin cancer which was a very agressive type(Doctoe compaired it to cervical cancer and said the med caused it. She lived about 6 month after we found out and had chemo and redation.
    She is my hero. and I miss her so much it will be 2 years this November since she went to be with Jesus. She was a strong woman I only hope to be half as strong as she was.
    I hope I haven't brought everyone down but I want to say Hug your momma and tell her how much she means to you.
    Mawcarol,

This didn't bring me down...it did make me think more of my own Mom, who passed away this summer. She was my hero, too. My daughter claims her as a role model - a person who never let adversity overcome her, who always found a way to get things done and who loved and helped her family in any way she could.

She lived with me for the last 6 months of her life. That's when I started quilting. She was angry with me because I had 'rules' about bedtime (she had dementia and wasn't supposed to be left alone.) She didn't like that we installed a gate at the top of the stairs. She didn't like taking "orders" from her kids! One day, after one of her bouts of anger, I sat down with her and asked her did she remember the time when I was a little kid and after a punishment, I told her "Just you wait until I'm the grown up and YOU'RE the little kid!"?

She chuckled, and admitted she did. Then I said to her as gently as I could,

"Well, Mom, I'm the grown up and you're the little kid."

I expected another bout of anger, but she just looked at me for a few seconds. Then she said, "I guess you're right."

After that, she had a lot fewer temper tantrums. I know the temper was the dementia, and I know she knew it, too. That was the saddest thing.

I treasure those last few months with her - they were difficult, but they were a gift.

Thanks for sharing the life of your wonderful mother with us all. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is touched by it!
    My mother has dementia also, so I can relate to the anger and tantrums. She lives in a dementia facility and blames me for EVERYTHING even tho it was the dr. who placed her there. It is hard to see her like that and hear the things she says to me, they are really hurtful, but I just need to keep reminding myself that it is not really my mother, but the dementia making her this way.
    It must be so very hard. One thing I learned from being in that atmosphere is that most of the patients who complain that no one ever visits them do not remember that they are visited every day by their loved ones and that, yes, you are wise to realize that is not her speaking. I feel for you! *Hugs*

Love and huggs to you and your mom, my mom lived with me for over 20yrs and last year I had to put her in a assisted living home because of alizhamers and the last time I saw her she told everyone there that I was her sister It is hard to see the One who raised you go down hill but it does happen it is still hard but I am the only one of three children that visits and take care of her needs but what else can we do Mom took care of us so now we return the love in the only way we can.
    retiac

LOL sounds like another priceless day to me
    Like in one you will never forget
    Oh the memories we share

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I remember my mom making me mind all the socks, there were five of us, this job took forever, but I learned to sew at a very young age. God bless.

Blog Entries
    Cathy - first you made me ROTFLMAO - then you made me cry. My mom's dementia didn't show up until she was 89 - and Alzheimer's wasn't diagnosed until she was 92, which we were told is unusually late. So I've decided to check out at 89 ~ ~ ~

For a while, I couldn't understand why my sweet Mom was getting so angry and why she eventually banned me, her only child, from her home. We had been sharing a sewing room during the winter for nearly 10 years, but I moved all my things out that afternoon, went back to my place, and fixed myself a large Manhattan! Within months, the schism was over, because she recognized that she needed help and called me. DH and I were only in AZ during the winter, so we helped her find a wonderful Assisted Living facility. She said it was the nicest place she'd ever lived in. 5 month later, she had to move to Skilled Nursing as her Alzheimer's progressed rapidly.

As it turned out, DH and I did not leave AZ at the end of that winter, because I realized that Mom's dementia was getting worse, and I wanted to have daily contact with her for as long as she knew who I was. She recognized me, DH & one particular friend who visited her frequently until the day she died, but she became more and more confused.

Sometimes you just have to stop and do something else for awhile. It's hard to stop though until you can SOMETHING to work right.
    I kept having problems with the thread breaking on my Babylock quilters Professional. I was sure I was doing something wrong-took it to the dealer & it sewed fine after she threaded it! I went home and it broke on me again! I was ready to scream--then I changed thread and---no problem!!! the thread was old so I tossed it and haven't had the problem since.

My day was actually pretty good. Took Mom for her therapy. Took Sammi For her therapy. Then when We got back to the shop a customer came in and order a Easter baby quilt. 2 more came in and each ordered a quilt that didn't have to be ready until their Easter family dinner. That gives me plenty of time.But knowing my OCD,I'll start on it right away.I bought the perfect bunny fabric that will be just right for the baby quilt and I'm gonna cut it out after I eat my tuna salad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3