Good answer!!!!
That kind of guy drives me up the wall.

Mine doesn't mind what I do or buy, but as a courtesy
I always tell him what I am getting.
He does the same with me.
Works for us.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I have to admit I cringe every time I read "my husband LET me buy or do whatever"..... Anyone who LETS me do anything is in charge of me. And NO ONE is in charge of me, but me! It should be a partnership, not one person in control of another.
Ditto!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by rndelling
Originally Posted by Candace
I have to admit I cringe every time I read "my husband LET me buy or do whatever"..... Anyone who LETS me do anything is in charge of me. And NO ONE is in charge of me, but me! It should be a partnership, not one person in control of another.
Me too. That's one of my biggest peeves. My parents used to "let" me do things when I was a child.
I got in HUGE trouble once (I was 17) when I told my stepfather that I shouldn't have to ask permission to spend the money I earned myself. I was forced to apologize!

My DH is very nice about my hobbies, and he has his own. Sometimes he laughs at the number of vintage machines that are crowded into my tiny sewing room, but he bought the most recent featherweight for me as an early birthday present!

We are now a one-income family since I have been unable to work at a paying job, but DH reminds me that his $$ is "ours." Sometimes I feel guilty about spending for my hobby, since I am no longer working, but DH doesn't complain. He's a keeper.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:52 AM

I have a DH that supports me completely. He goes with me when I get fabric and helps pick it out. He cuts strips or blocks that I need to make a certain quilt
Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 AM

:lol:
Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 AM

Wow. I tried marriage twice and failed both times. Well the first one we were too young and the second was the bad kind you all have been talking about. No physical abuse but plenty of every other kind. I had a $5 a week allowance to spend on clothes or anything I wanted for the house. And got constant critisism for not looking like all the other wives in the neighbor hood. He left me for someone younger. someone said it is the type of home you grow up in and I grew up with my grand parents. Old school all the way. No nice just abuse. I decided after the second no more husbands. lol I buy what I want when I want. Although didn't do much of that while I was working or now with disability but I can't tell you how good it felt the first month after he left and I paid all the bills myself in my own apartment even though I had about $2 left over. LOL

Oh and I heard that the second might want to make nice now that he is old and alone. I laughed myself sick. He sure wouldn't want to know me now. NOW I would use the skillet.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 AM

I loved my husband very much and he was supportive of my quilting. Since he passed away I have been very satisfied at making my own way. I have a good income and I don't ask anyone for anything. I know what my budget is and I do as I please. As long as I don't break the law or hurt anyone then I think I have earned the right now that I'm 66 years old to have the things I want. I was in a very abusive marriage years ago and I vowed then that no man would ever mistreat me again and I have stuck by that. There is a way out of those situations and I hope none of you will ever let another person hurt you. That is a big problem that women and some men face. Quess I get pretty riled up over this subject but I'm a survivor and I WILL NEVER be in that situation again.
Originally Posted by damaquilts
Wow. I tried marriage twice and failed both times. Well the first one we were too young and the second was the bad kind you all have been talking about. No physical abuse but plenty of every other kind. I had a $5 a week allowance to spend on clothes or anything I wanted for the house. And got constant critisism for not looking like all the other wives in the neighbor hood. He left me for someone younger. someone said it is the type of home you grow up in and I grew up with my grand parents. Old school all the way. No nice just abuse. I decided after the second no more husbands. lol I buy what I want when I want. Although didn't do much of that while I was working or now with disability but I can't tell you how good it felt the first month after he left and I paid all the bills myself in my own apartment even though I had about $2 left over. LOL

Oh and I heard that the second might want to make nice now that he is old and alone. I laughed myself sick. He sure wouldn't want to know me now. NOW I would use the skillet.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I'll never forget the day several of my quilting friends and I were going to a nearby quilt shop. We were going in my car. My passenger side widow got stuck and wouldn't close. It was hot and we had to use the AC. We decided to swap cars so I told my friend I'd take her home and she could pick me up at the car repair shop. I took my car to the shop and left it and went on with our trip. The ladies couldn't believe I just took the car in and said fix it and left and didn't call my DH to ask! ? It's not his car why should he be asked and why would he want me to bother him about it. It never crossed my mind that he'd have to be consulted. They commented all day on how their DHs would never let them do that. I finally said ya'll need to grow a pair. Good Grief.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 AM

I totally agree with you. The only way to stop abuse is to stand by yourself and stop it. I think a man respects a woman who makes herself being respected.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:02 AM

I love the way you handled your friends husband. I have done that a time or two myself. But the one person I loved doing it to was my brother-in-law. He was telling his wife she was spending to much money and time on her quilting. I went off. Mainly because she had only spent $100 in a year on material. The rest of it had come from my stash. Also as for her spending time on her sewing it was to make gifts for her kids and grandkids for Christmas because he is a scrooge. LOL.
So needless to say he got a taste of me. Since then he hasn't said a thing when we go shopping for material or when we get together and quilt.
As for the problem I have with my husband and my quilting . Is he buys more material and things for my quilting than I do. LOL. My sewing room is small and he keeps loading it up with things. I now have to sew out at the kitchen table since I have no room in there for my machine and me. LOL