Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husbands...boyfrineds and such regarding quilting >

Husbands...boyfrineds and such regarding quilting

Husbands...boyfrineds and such regarding quilting

Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I have to admit I cringe every time I read "my husband LET me buy or do whatever"..... Anyone who LETS me do anything is in charge of me. And NO ONE is in charge of me, but me! It should be a partnership, not one person in control of another.
Oh Candace, you sure hit the nail on the head. I totally agree with you. I can't imagine a marriage where one needs "permission" from the other for everything.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz
Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Since I handle the finances in the family now, he knows that I will only buy something if we have the extra money.

LOL, on the occasions we have to buy large item purchases, the sales person will turn to him for decisions...he just says, talk to her, she knows what she wants.
I handle all finances as well. We wouldn't have anything today if I didn't. Hubby also knows I won't buy something if we did not have the money. I also would never buy something that I could not afford and not pay what few bills we have such as house payment, light bill, water bill and such.

It use to irk me to no end regarding sales people when hubby was with me and I'd go in to make a purchase and tell them what I wanted and they look at him and ask him how they could help him and ignore me like I wasn't there.

I remember the last time someone pulled that on me was in 2006 when hubby and I went to a Toyota place for me to buy me a vehicle. One sales guy approached us and looked at hubby and asked how he could help him and ignored the fact that I just told him the vehicle I wanted. I told him again and he ignored me again so I told him we did not need his help. We walked away from him went inside and I asked for the manager of the place. He came out of his office and I told him I'd like to buy a vehicle and what I wanted and that a salesperson had approached us but totally ignored my request as if I was not standing there and directed himself to my husband and that I was the one wanting to buy and not hubby and could he direct me to someone who would want a sale from a woman.

He immediately told me he'd take care of me and he did. I bought the vehicle in my name and on my credit and with the cash in my pockets. Unfortunately that sales person who kept ingoring me lost a sales commission that day and I left with a brand new Toyota RAV 4 Limited Edition.

I have no clue as to what the manager did or not do with that sales person and I didn't care. I had several thousand dollars in my pocket and I wanted to buy a vehicle and in the end that is what I got.

I truly detest men that still in todays age act like we women don't exist.
BKeen there, done that! Once a car dealer in Odessa, Texas told me it was against their policy to let a woman test drive a car without having a man in the front seat and told me to go home and get my father or my brother (8 years younger than I). I not only did not buy a car from that dealership, I have never bought a General Motors product as a result--and I've bought a lot of cars. froggyintexas
Old 09-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish
I must be very lucky, the situations described in this thread are totally foreign to me. My husband supports my hobby and will sacrifice things he wants so that I can have what I'd like. I strive to do the same for him. Enabling each other's hobbies makes for a happy marriage! :D
Oh how true! Pat is my partner in crime and he is on board with the whole quilting thing (QB friends included). I sometimes accuse him of being an enabler because he keeps encouraging me when I try to talk myself out of buying something.

We do discuss purchases though - no matter what the item (if it's over $100).
Old 09-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by BRenea
I agree 100%! I am very fortunate that my hubby supports my hobbies, and I support his. He goes to quilt shops and quilt shows with me just as I go with him to home improvement stores and sporting goods stores. We even work on each other's projects!
Bridget,
Guess we are both very lucky women. My Hubby loves to go to the quilt shows with me. Also to the quilt shops. Only problem I have with him there is he spends more money on fabric then I do. LOL.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:06 PM

My favorite aunt, actually my favorite human being once showed me she would fight for anyone who stood up for herself . You had to at least make the effort. If my aunt saw you would not stand up for yourself she would fight with you!!! No one, NO ONE belongs under anyone elses thumb or boot!! You go, GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
After having a domineering hubby first time around, when he passed away at age 39 I decided this wouldn't happen again and it hasn't!
I too would never have another husband as I think and say one bad marriage is enough(It is not really ) but not knowing what will happen with some one else. I have been in a good marriage for 41 years. We have our ups and downs but nothing to do with my quilting except that I have not made him one yet(I am working on getting all the fabric)He doesn't complain as he has all his karoake gear in the garage and he spends more money on that than I do on fabric lately.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 PM

My husband used to complain about the sewing stuff but then he realized he was good at fixing vintage machines- any sewing machine really. My space has become ours. Depending on who is doing what we may not want the other one there at the moment. He's the buyer- He ran into someone selling rolls of upholstery fabric and filled the back of the van- I have no idea what I'll do with it- it all has that rubber backing like for waiting areas. Can't say we don't have friction at times but it's a life long achievment
Old 09-19-2011, 01:20 PM

Gotta love this girl. Taught her right Mom. I am living proof that this happens. Finally after 30 years DH asks whether or not I want to go out instead of cook. :)
My DH usually does not say anything about my supplies since he asked me "how many ways can you count an inch? and I answered with "well, why do you need more than one screwdriver or hammer? What kind of question is that? After that, he has never questioned any purchases or decisions I have made about quilting. I am still trying to push him and his computer out of my sewing room though!

My DD and her friend were at my house last week. The friend's new husband called her and she said 'you want to go out and eat or do you want me to cook? After she hung up, my DD said you offered to cook when you could have not? Never ever offer to do that when you have a choice, soon you'll never get the choice, it will always be you'll cook or any other thing you offer to do instead of.
Words right out of my mouth and I thought she never listened. :lol:[/quote]
Old 09-19-2011, 01:24 PM

Love my DH-but he better stay out of my girlie cave. He put it together with a Bernina-embroidary and a Long arm plus tables storage bins etc. I feel guilty only when it is a mess (doing a quilt) all ghe time.