Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husbands...boyfrineds and such regarding quilting >

Husbands...boyfrineds and such regarding quilting

Husbands...boyfrineds and such regarding quilting

Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 AM

My companion of 28 years never says anything. He does woodworking and makes sewing related stuff for me. He even goes to quilt shows and fabric stores with me. He is just an all around great guy. He is even still working at 70 yrs.
old. He is a keeper.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 AM

EX husband had old fashioned ideas. *jerk*
DH doesn't. :)
Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 AM

Wow! So much anger and frustration here today! Unfortunately there are men and women who are in relationships where one spouse is in control and there is little we can do except make sure our own relationships are in good order. DH and I have been together for almost 10 years and we do lots of things together, but each of us has our own personal hobbies. I quilt, he fishes. And neither of us will make a large purchase without the others consent. It just makes for less stress between us and I can come home with a few yards of fabric and don't feel like I have to hide it. He is my best friend and I plan to keep it that way. I don't ever use my cast iron skillet for anything but fried taters and onions!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:31 AM

Currently, we are also living on one income. I would never make a big purchase without talking to him first. But that said, my husband is my biggest fan. When I got my big quilting machine he just helped me move the furniture out of the formal living room. Not sure how I got so lucky but he is a keeper to me. At this point I think I have more toys than he does but he still comes home from work every day with a smile on his face so I take this as a sign that he is happy.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:32 AM

APPLAUSE!!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
I must be very lucky, the situations described in this thread are totally foreign to me. My husband supports my hobby and will sacrifice things he wants so that I can have what I'd like. I strive to do the same for him. Enabling each other's hobbies makes for a happy marriage! :D
My relationship with my husband is like yours -- we support each other completely.

I just get so MAD when I hear that others are not so fortunate - it shouldn't even BE about fortune, it should just BE that husbands and wives respect and honor each other!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
It is a partnership but DH and I try to check with each other just incase the money is needed for the household. We don't have much so we try to spend wisely.
That is how our house works as well. We each have our interests/creative sides, very different from each other, so we never make it difficult for each other to indulge those outlets, just make sure it will not adversely affect the family monetarily.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:51 AM

My husband does not have any hobbies-he reads and works. His joke is we have an equal partnership-he makes the money and I spend it.
I am retired now and like to do design work with cloth-quilts- and beads-necklaces, earrings. I also love to read. We have less discussions about money now that I am retired than when I worked.
I do all the financials and tax work and have always kept the books. We have joint accounts. It works for us.
My ex was abusive-and we won't even go there!- and I swore never to remarry -but DH wore me down-and I am glad he did. A keeper all the way around!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Ditto as lynnegreen said. "That is how our house works as well. We each have our interests/creative sides, very different from each other, so we never make it difficult for each other to indulge those outlets, just make sure it will not adversely affect the family monetarily".

When we were first married my husband said, "When you make as much money as I do then you can have an equal say". We had a little talk. When I started making more money than him, I told him that I now had a equal say in things. He said I was putting him down for not providing enough for his family. We had another talk. Over the 47 years we have been married we have had a couple of talks. Times change and so did we. He is my best friend (along with my son).I make sure all the bills are paid and thank the Lord we don't own anyone anything. If he wants anything he gets it, If I want something I will get it. Large purchases we talk over. It's more than a 50/50 marriage. We are in this together and plan to stay that way.
BrendaK
Old 09-18-2011, 12:00 PM

When we married, I earned more than he did. However, we have had 2 children and I am now a stay at home Mom. I don't spend too much, nor do I ask for a budget. I figure that raising 2 under 2 is worth a fair amount of his check! As long as the bills are paid!