Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husbands...boyfrineds and such regarding quilting >

Husbands...boyfrineds and such regarding quilting

Husbands...boyfrineds and such regarding quilting

Old 09-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
Wow! So much anger and frustration here today! Unfortunately there are men and women who are in relationships where one spouse is in control and there is little we can do except make sure our own relationships are in good order. DH and I have been together for almost 10 years and we do lots of things together, but each of us has our own personal hobbies. I quilt, he fishes. And neither of us will make a large purchase without the others consent. It just makes for less stress between us and I can come home with a few yards of fabric and don't feel like I have to hide it. He is my best friend and I plan to keep it that way. I don't ever use my cast iron skillet for anything but fried taters and onions!
I think I like your reply the best. When both spouses have respect and love for each other and always put the other first then there is not a problem. Plus...I think the skillet thing is a little harsh...if we're actually playing on an equal playing field here then if I man said something like that about their wife I don't think this conversation would be quite so light-hearted. Anyway...I just think that mutual love and respect and expecting the best from each other is what makes for a relationship that is not just good but wonderful :)
Old 09-18-2011, 12:16 PM

DH and I *always* consult each other over any purchase. I'm a teacher and don't make a lot of money, and he's looking for a new job. We also have a 2 year old and we're helping out my grandmother who's 89. My mom's in a financial bind because my dad died suddenly in 2007, and there wasn't much there - we try to help out when we can.

DH and I respect and love each other, and we support each others hobbies, BUT if one of us wants something for our hobby we always talk about it to see if it's feasible or not. We take turns too. I actually got a package of batting (didn't really NEED it, but it was a great sale) so I got it. Next time he sees something he wants, as long as we can afford it, DH will get it.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:24 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by orangeroom
Holy crap clsurz! You are an interesting woman, aren't you?!!! I suppose once in the head is all a man needs to understand exactly where he stands with you and your cast iron skillet!

Women, even in today's world, are abused. I've seen it where I work. It's sad. If more women were given cast iron skillets when they started a relationship or were married, and used them (in a multitude of ways), there'd be a clearer view of where people stand.
Now wait a minute. :shock:
Abuse works both ways, I suppose, so smacking someone with a cast iron skillet is probably going to get the smacker a visit to the local clink, no matter how much the smacked 'deserved' it!

Yeah, some DHs are harder to train than others, but slammed doors, smashed plates (not thrown *at* someone), hung-up phone calls, the 'look', the expression, "Nothing.", and the silent treatment, are surely less likely to get the female trainer in trouble with the law!

Or leaving. That worked for me. :-)

Jan in VA
Old 09-18-2011, 12:32 PM

My Hubby and I have a joint account for bills and we put a percentage of our incomes in. Over and above stays in our own personal accounts for our own spending. That being said, we always check with each other regarding larger purchases. He recently obtained my "permission" to buy a kayak, and I obtained "permission"to to buy a sewing machine. Our money is ours, but we are partners and seek the support of each other for decisions.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:51 PM

I had a really bad dh for my first, that made me really at men. I had married my dad, not a good Ideal.DH of today is a pretty good fellow we have been together for 28 yrs. He don't want me to work off the ranch as the rance needs me to attend to it. He is overseas about 3/4s the year with visit home now and then. I buy what I want, he buys what he wants, if it is a large purchess like a tractor, truck, car or my Gamill quilting machine or my bernina 180 then we decuss it. But we usually get what we want or need. We a parteners and thats they way it is. I told him up front if he wasn't who he was showing me he was, it would come out sooner or later and it would not be pretty if it was later, LOL.
On the other hand I have been in places where the man would be yelling at his wife and I don't have a problem going over and standing beside him or between them.
And once one got physical in front of me I just busted a pespi bottle and he backed off his wife.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo
I had a really bad dh for my first, that made me really at men. I had married my dad, not a good Ideal.DH of today is a pretty good fellow we have been together for 28 yrs. He don't want me to work off the ranch as the rance needs me to attend to it. He is overseas about 3/4s the year with visit home now and then. I buy what I want, he buys what he wants, if it is a large purchess like a tractor, truck, car or my Gamill quilting machine or my bernina 180 then we decuss it. But we usually get what we want or need. We a parteners and thats they way it is. I told him up front if he wasn't who he was showing me he was, it would come out sooner or later and it would not be pretty if it was later, LOL.
On the other hand I have been in places where the man would be yelling at his wife and I don't have a problem going over and standing beside him or between them.
And once one got physical in front of me I just busted a pespi bottle and he backed off his wife.
that works!!
Old 09-18-2011, 01:32 PM

My DH started out the BOSS. I let him, my fault, he was from the real olden days. Slowly, when I had to work out so our 5 kids could to on to school or get married, I held 3 part time jobs, and helped on the farm. I guess I impressed him. I got my own checking account, and didn`t thow away any money, we had the same problem with a car dealer (once only) then our daughter liked our car, so they went to the same dealer and he only talked to her husband, they walked out on him. We now got a new car from him, and I told him I would do the same if he didn`t wake up. All went well. I even heard my husband tell his buddies that," He sends my to town with $100.00 and I come back with $99.00 when I think some thing is too much." He says "They are all green with envy".
Old 09-18-2011, 02:15 PM

I have been very lucky to have a husband that has been very supportive of all that I do for the past 30 years. We have always been a one income family though I did babysit for a few years and my husband has always put me first. He knows how important sewing and stitching is to me. It is my relaxation. I have been sewing for 45yrs. now and hope to continue for many more. He has made sure I have everything I need to make my sewing time pleasurable. He enjoys his computers. We have always been equals.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:43 PM

yeahhhhh, I agree with it all. I hate it also when someone says "there husband let them!". it's a free country!!!!!!! I have worked very hard all my life and I will get and do what I want....so does he....all is equal!
Old 09-18-2011, 03:02 PM

I am trying to imagine my DH telling me to get rid of anything, or telling me what to do period. It's about realizing you are an individual in your own right, not an appendage of him.

Applauding your comments.. :thumbup: