Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I asked for it, I got it, NOW what do I do??? >

I asked for it, I got it, NOW what do I do???

I asked for it, I got it, NOW what do I do???

Old 12-27-2013, 08:33 AM

Since she has other quilts from you, make it easy on yourself? You have 5 yards of possibly 22 wide inch fabric. Why not make an alternating strip quilt? Either horizontal or vertical? Easy peasy
Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 AM

To all who have offered so many wonderful suggestions and posted photos and links - I am more grateful than you know.

To all who understand that my daughter and I have a very loving relationship and it was pretty much understood I'd be making a quilt for her, that it was a fun thing between us - Hugs from my heart to you.

To those who still don't understand - I'm sorry.

I hope everyone on this board has a very happy and blessed 2014!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:44 AM

What about the Jacob Ladder's Remix from Missouri Star Quilt Co. It is just for 2 colors and your daughter's colors would give it a sort of Amish twist. I think it would be lovely. You would need to get probably more of the same colors depending how large you wanted the quilt. I started one in brown and off -white and I am not using precuts at all so this is not a prerequisite. The program can be found under the Missouri Star Quilt Co tutorials: The Jacob's Ladder Remix Quilt @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp1kbVut_1s
Hope this helps have a great day and fun making the quilt, it looks like you and your daughter have a great relationship, enjoy!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
Oh yes, cathyvv, very thoughtful. She's a precious daughter and my best friend. And yes, I will definitely comply with her wishes. She really wants a quilt from the fabric, nothing else. Yes, she has other quilts I've made for her, but she wants another out of this fabric. And the thought of her helping me would be wonderful, but that will never happen. She's an RN and already has more on her plate than she can say grace over. My main concern is what pattern to use that will look pretty using only two fabrics. I don't want to disappoint her.

And Lori S - just like the D9P, I can't picture it with only two fabrics.

Oh, what to do, what to do?
Google "two color quilts" for inspiration?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:00 AM

I would find a two color quilt (drunkard's path, X & O, Snowball, Monkey wrench, etc.) and use the fabric for that. Let your quilting add deminsion to the blacks. Maybe quilt in red/black varigated, or gold metallic?

mom-6, I can't visualize a D9P with only two fabrics. Seems like it would be boring.

Dina, yes, it is for her, and she is adamant that no other fabric be added!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:04 AM

Drunkard's path...then let the quilting add deminsion to the black areas
Old 12-27-2013, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

Yes, you are right, you don't get it. I responded to someone a little while ago, but I will repeat it here and hope that everyone who misunderstands why she would give ME fabric to make HER a quilt will get a better understanding. My daughter and I are very, very close. She is my only daughter, and almost everything I make is hers - her choice, and my choice. It was sort of an unspoken understanding when I mentioned fabric to her that whatever she bought I would be making into a quilt for her. I do not quilt for others, I do not sell quilts, and I can only put so many quilts to good use in my own home. I love making things for my daughter. I am thinking that perhaps you do not have a daughter and therefore cannot understand a really close mother/daughter relationship. It WAS a gift, not disguised as a gift, not to mention this was one of many lovely gifts she gave me.
No one on earth would guess any of this from your original post, the one I responded to. You offered all the personal background info as the thread went on.... Yes, I do have a daughter and we are close, but if she gave me the gift of something to make for her I would be wondering why she didn't just give me the fabric and ask me to make her a quilt, not give me the fabric as a "gift". I hope you find a nice design to make for your daughter.

This was my Christmas gift quilt to my daughter, my own choice but a design she was interested in:
Attached Thumbnails union-jacks-quilt-002.jpg  
Old 12-27-2013, 09:11 AM

Drunkard's path, or another 2 color quilt pattern?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:23 AM

Yes, I am on that Mother/Daughter thing for real this morning. If SHE went out and bought ME fabric, and made the caveat with it when I opened the gift, I would be over the moon ready to get it made for her. I love your sentimentality/love for your little girl (she will always be only that to you, grown up and working in today's stress filled world or not); I understand your feelings completely--and I have customers who share the opinions many have shown on this post. Best of luck, Dina's post of the blue one would be my choice; and Happy New Year.....
Old 12-27-2013, 10:24 AM

I love this quilt and it sounds like you could add some white with it to make it. It's called Scrappy Stars. It's in my Better Homes and Gardens Quilt lovers Favorites book. If you're interested I can scan the instructions. [ATTACH=CONFIG]453417[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails scrappy-star.jpg