Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: I bought a long arm

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    215

    I bought a long arm

    I was planning on buying and sort of had my heart set on the HQ Fusion, but I wouldn't be able to fit the 12' frame into my house anywhere. The frame that comes with it cannot be broken down to a smaller size. So it was either nothing or go with the Avante. I will make the frame 8' in size. It's the only way I'd be able to get a true long arm.
    A few months ago I had purchased a Sweet Sixteen from my daughter's LQS and quilted 2 throw size quilts (besides practicing). While it was night and day difference from my regular Brother machine, I had too much trouble moving the fabric. I really wanted a long arm and the software to make all the beautiful quilting designs.
    It should be delivered next Wednesday. I'm very excited. Now I will still need to swap rooms in my house and move a bunch of furniture around.
    Pat
    Brother NQ 3500D
    HQ Sweet Sixteen

  2. #2
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    29,860
    ​Congratulations!

  3. #3
    Junior Member indycat32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    151
    Congratulations. I also bought a sweet 16 a few months ago and regret not getting a long arm instead.

  4. #4
    Super Member petthefabric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Eastern Madera County, Ca
    Posts
    1,038
    Congratulations! I have a longarm. Most everything will fit on 8', 96", except king size and maybe queen. I've been considering getting a sit down. The comments above aren't that good. Maybe I'll try borrowing one.

    Again Congratulations!

  5. #5
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    42,817
    Blog Entries
    45
    congrats on your new machine
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?


  6. #6
    Senior Member tallchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    408
    Congratulations !! I have the Fusion and I love it! Handiquilters are really very user friendly and the service and support are fantastic. Did you get the prostitcher too? There are some great Facebook groups for both the handiquilter and longarms too that are wonderful for helping with issues etc..... .
    Lisa

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    Congratulations! I have a longarm. Most everything will fit on 8', 96", except king size and maybe queen. I've been considering getting a sit down. The comments above aren't that good. Maybe I'll try borrowing one.

    Again Congratulations!
    Many people LOVE their sit down machines, so please don't go by me. I'm just not a good quilter, so I want a machine that will do it for me!
    Pat
    Brother NQ 3500D
    HQ Sweet Sixteen

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
    Congratulations !! I have the Fusion and I love it! Handiquilters are really very user friendly and the service and support are fantastic. Did you get the prostitcher too? There are some great Facebook groups for both the handiquilter and longarms too that are wonderful for helping with issues etc..... .
    Great to know you love yours! I do know HQ has great support since I do have the Sweet Sixteen.
    I did order the ProStitcher with it. I'm not good with FMQ.
    I don't do facebook, but I bet there are some yahoo groups I could join. I'm going to play around with it for a bit, then will go take a few classes.
    I bought it from SewingMachinesPlus in CA, and they will fly me out for 2 days classes. They pay for airfare and the classes. Not too shabby. I've never been to CA, and neither has my daughter, so we'll both go and spend a couple of extra days there if it's in the cards.
    Pat
    Brother NQ 3500D
    HQ Sweet Sixteen

  9. #9
    Senior Member MarionsQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    906
    Sweet!!!!! I'm super jealous LOL and envious, and wish I had the money, time and patience to do it!!!! Maybe when I retire!

    Enjoy!!!

  10. #10
    Junior Member catsden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    southeast Idaho
    Posts
    266
    congratulations. Have fun.

  11. #11
    Super Member GEMRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    1,369
    Congratulations! Enjoy! Great news for you.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

  12. #12
    Senior Member kristakz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    914
    I have an Avante and I love it! I didn't realize the Fusion frame could not be reduced, but I don't think you'll regret the Avante purchase. I don't find the size limiting, except perhaps for very large items (12" on point type of blocks). But even for that, you just adjust your quilting to fit the space you have. Enjoy!

  13. #13
    Super Member feline fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    8,819
    Congratulations. You will love it! Like you, I really had a hard time moving the quilt under the needle. Additionally with a sit down you still have to baste the quilt and basting was my number one most dreaded, hated task in quiltmaking. Frame quilting completely eliminates that step and to me moving the machine head is a much more natural movement than moving the quilt sandwich.

    But I warn you about the frame size. I have a 10 ft frame for my Innova and I do find the size limiting. A 10' frame does not give you 120" of loading space. First of all that 10' measurement is from outside edge to outside edge so you need to deduct the inches that the supporting structure of the frame takes up. On my frame that is approximately 8". So immediately my 120" is now down to 112". You also need to have room at the sides to attach side clamps, test tension and get at your bobbin to change it, at a minimum that would be 7". Also you have to remember that your backing always needs to be larger than your top by at least 4" to 5" (I prefer more) I have found I really have a hard time with any top over 100" wide and prefer to not quilt anything wider than that. So my 10' frame is perfect for anything queen size or smaller, 98" wide or less. You may find that 8' will not be wide enough if you do a lot of queen size quilts. Just letting you know.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    howell, Mi
    Posts
    2,340
    I am so jealous. You will enjoy every minute with your machine. I think I would like to move the carriage and not the fabric, and would enjoy the machine you bought. Have fun learning to use the machine--I used to rent time on a Gammall at a local quilt shop, but she closed. I would have enjoyed the rental more if I didn't have to plan so ahead to rent the machine--using a gammall was like driving a cadillac--wonderful.
    Sue

  15. #15
    Super Member Watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,147
    Congrats! So looking forward to the day when I can say the same!

    Watson

  16. #16
    Super Member ArtsyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Canadian in Minnesota
    Posts
    2,143
    Count me on the list of people who are envious of your purchase! Do be sure to post your work - I'll enjoy your quilting adventure vicariously.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by patsan View Post
    I was planning on buying and sort of had my heart set on the HQ Fusion, but I wouldn't be able to fit the 12' frame into my house anywhere. The frame that comes with it cannot be broken down to a smaller size. So it was either nothing or go with the Avante. I will make the frame 8' in size. It's the only way I'd be able to get a true long arm.
    A few months ago I had purchased a Sweet Sixteen from my daughter's LQS and quilted 2 throw size quilts (besides practicing). While it was night and day difference from my regular Brother machine, I had too much trouble moving the fabric. I really wanted a long arm and the software to make all the beautiful quilting designs.
    It should be delivered next Wednesday. I'm very excited. Now I will still need to swap rooms in my house and move a bunch of furniture around.
    Oh, wow... congratulations on your longarm! I came into this thread to say I'm envious, and then I read the bit highlighted above, and now I'm extra jealous. I really need a family member to open an LQS, especially if they're willing to do it somewhere close to me. I think you're a very lucky lady!

  18. #18
    Super Member caspharm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,906
    Congrats and enjoy!

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Congratulations. You will love it! Like you, I really had a hard time moving the quilt under the needle. Additionally with a sit down you still have to baste the quilt and basting was my number one most dreaded, hated task in quiltmaking. Frame quilting completely eliminates that step and to me moving the machine head is a much more natural movement than moving the quilt sandwich.

    But I warn you about the frame size. I have a 10 ft frame for my Innova and I do find the size limiting. A 10' frame does not give you 120" of loading space. First of all that 10' measurement is from outside edge to outside edge so you need to deduct the inches that the supporting structure of the frame takes up. On my frame that is approximately 8". So immediately my 120" is now down to 112". You also need to have room at the sides to attach side clamps, test tension and get at your bobbin to change it, at a minimum that would be 7". Also you have to remember that your backing always needs to be larger than your top by at least 4" to 5" (I prefer more) I have found I really have a hard time with any top over 100" wide and prefer to not quilt anything wider than that. So my 10' frame is perfect for anything queen size or smaller, 98" wide or less. You may find that 8' will not be wide enough if you do a lot of queen size quilts. Just letting you know.
    Thank you for all this information. It puts things into a better perspective for me and sure will help.
    Pat
    Brother NQ 3500D
    HQ Sweet Sixteen

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
    Oh, wow... congratulations on your longarm! I came into this thread to say I'm envious, and then I read the bit highlighted above, and now I'm extra jealous. I really need a family member to open an LQS, especially if they're willing to do it somewhere close to me. I think you're a very lucky lady!
    I'm so sorry.....I guess I wrote it wrong. My daughter doesn't own a shop....it's just a LQS in her town. Boy it would have been awesome if she owned one!
    Pat
    Brother NQ 3500D
    HQ Sweet Sixteen

  21. #21
    Super Member jmoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boothbay Maine
    Posts
    5,006
    Blog Entries
    2
    I am so excited for you! Your quilting world is about to change... : )

    I have been waiting patiently for one and hope to purchase one this fall. I had to first build a sewing studio over our 2 car garage in order to house a 10 or 12 foot table...which is just about completed. Unfortunately, the room addition was kinda pricey and bit into some of my LA funds. : (

    I am still on the fence about HandiQuilter as I've heard they have a lot of tension issues. Innova's are getting a lot of attention lately and I initially learned to FMQ on an APQS.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    I am so excited for you! Your quilting world is about to change... : )

    I have been waiting patiently for one and hope to purchase one this fall. I had to first build a sewing studio over our 2 car garage in order to house a 10 or 12 foot table...which is just about completed. Unfortunately, the room addition was kinda pricey and bit into some of my LA funds. : (

    I am still on the fence about HandiQuilter as I've heard they have a lot of tension issues. Innova's are getting a lot of attention lately and I initially learned to FMQ on an APQS.
    Thank you, I am very excited also. I'm sure hoping I don't have tension issues. These machines are too expensive for that. I bought mine from sewingmachinesplus out in CA and got interest free financing. I didn't look at the Innova, but did look at the APQS prior to going with the HQ. The interest free was a HUGE factor for me. Plus my daughter had used the HQ numerous times when she quilted some quilts and she loved them.
    Pat
    Brother NQ 3500D
    HQ Sweet Sixteen

  23. #23
    Super Member Quiltngolfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,280
    I have the HQ Simply 16 on the 8' frame. I have had it for about a year. I love everything about it. The price was great, and I have no problems with it. The folks I bought it from were so sweet! They came to my house, installed it and taught me how to use it. I use Superior Threads Omni for quilting, and I never have tension problems. I just clean the bobbin often, oil regularly, and have a great time with it. I mostly quilt with pantographs.

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,195
    Enjoy! Congratulations for taking the plunge into the long arm world.

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Houston (Clear Lake), TX
    Posts
    2,496
    Congratulations! Know you will enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.