Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I can't seem to get started on this quilt!!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I just cleaned and organized my sewing room because I couldn't decide what project to do next. I went through all my patterns and picked out the ones that I thought would work for this fabric line I have (yardage, charm pack, jelly roll). Well, I had over 20 patterns picked out and was overwhelmed. So, I put them all away and got on the computer and came to the QB instead. I'll read here for a while and go back and see if I'm really in the mood to start a new project. I just finished a huge king size quilt top and maybe I need a break. I also have so many choices in fabric and patterns that I can't decide what to do. I think I can't do the first project I was gathering patterns for...too much for me right now. I need to rethink what I need to do. I have binding to do on at least 4 quilts and that's what I'm dreading the most. So, I'm kind of in the same boat. And, I feel really guilty when I'm not making a quilt. I feel like I have to sew every day!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I would say start small. Don't look at say a queen sized and know that there is going to be some time involved from start to finish and then the thoughts that you are having. Eliminate the big ones... and the sorta big ones... and get down to a table runner or table topper and go from there.

I hope this makes sense. I just woke up and the coffee hasn't fully kicked in.'

Anita in Northfield, MN

I have one right now. A table runner. Very pretty! It's white with fancy ends, binding 1-5/8" in and then has denim blue appliqued flowers, vines and lots of leaves. I have it all cut out and keep putting off starting it because I'm scared of the inner appliqued binding with those fancy shapes. I'll just jump in one of these days & it'll probably come out great!! Then, I have another one to do for DH!! This one will be bigger than the last. It has many stars like the mariner's stars all over it. He even likes the colors! How do I get myself into these things?! :-0
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

do one step at a time soon you will be dancing in the quilt world

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine View Post
    I have the same problem at times. I just have to stop quilting for a while , then when I get back at it, I seem to have more inspiration.
    Yeah, I agree. If I can't seem to get going, I put it away, and do something quick or simple, on something that just doesn't matter, and then it seems I gt inspired enough to get back to it. It very hard to MAKE yourself work on something that's not going well, for whatever reason, but I think we all have those times.

Give yourself a break, we have all been there. I just have to stay out of my sewing room sometimes and when I feel ready to go back, I feel refreshed and renewed and can pick up something and start...thanks for sharing.

I usually don't have a problem starting anything but it always seems I don't have that perfect thing to finish it. Or I can't decide how to finish. Takes me months sometimes.
    But I have one right now that is giving me fits.... I have never had such a hard time doing one. My brother asked me to make this for a woman he knows and likes however it is one of those situations that I do not see ending well for him. I have been in the same situation and it didn't end well. lol Also I have never even met this woman so know nothing about her or her likes or dislikes. The guidelines I have are, purple, her grandmother is from Austrailia and the woman likes a certain childrens book series from there. He wrote a poem and had it printed on fabric with 2 pictures for the front and had a letter and another photo of the two of them done for the back. I promised him I would have it done before he gets back from his trip this week. I would love to finish it today. And get on to something I enjoy! .

I hate when that happens!!!! I can sit and stare at a project for hours and hours and get nowhere. BUT when the spirit hits me... I take it and run.

Take that one piece that is bothering you, mail it to your EX with all your negative thoughts, curses, etc., and then be done with it. Life is too short to stress over something like that. Good luck.

I see so many beautiful patterns that I want to make and declare, I, in fact will make...then...like you, always something !! BUT !! I did realize: every time I have a reason!! to quilt, for someone else! I can do it!! fast & easy(well, maybe not always easy! : ) I have made friends, family & community quilts, when I had a REASON!! So..maybe you need to tell yourself what the 'need' or reason for this quilt is...and after a few of those..maybe then 'we' can get to all those beautiful patterns we see!! ENJOY!! & give yourself a reason!

My next quilt has been on "hold" for over 6 months. Finally figured out it was the fabrics. I started removing them one at a time till I felt that "that's it!" moment. Now I am ready to start - but truth be told I spent 4 months not sewing anything!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

istead of tackling a whole quilt just use your stash to just make a quilt block from all the quilt patterns out there. I ended up making enough to make a quilt of many colors!

Instead of tackling a whole quilt, get into your stash and make some of the free block patterns out there. I ended up making enough to make a quilt of many colors!

Quote Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
    Set yourself up some project boxes. In each one, start by placing a pattern or inspiration fabric, or whatever. Then build up the boxes by adding additional items needed to complete the project ( coordinating fabrics, notions, THREAD, a journal pad to keep special notes for tension, stitch length, etc). Next, DIG IN! If you need to move from one project to another, then do so. I love having several projects going on...variety is the spice of life.
    I have several projects going at all times. I get tired of working on one and move on to another. I don't like to work on the same thing for too long. Some days I just look at quilt books and magazines and "pet" my fabric and think about what I am going to make next. I don't have to sew everyday. I'm retired---I don't have deadlines. lol

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorcmm View Post
    istead of tackling a whole quilt just use your stash to just make a quilt block from all the quilt patterns out there. I ended up making enough to make a quilt of many colors!
    Ok - since you mentioned it...I guess I have to confess...

I have no idea how to make a quilt block. None whatsoever.

The quilt before this one was a tie quilt - using two fleece blankets from Walgreens and batting in between. And it took me I don't know how long to get the batting straight. And that one's not finished either....it's a mess!!

Sooo...this quilt I'm on now was supposed to be a tie quilt - my mom had the fabric and gave it to me. It's a "patchwork" pattern that she was just going to tie and I ended up "quilting" around all patches. And by quilting I mean - just hand quilting each row. But it's a start...and I'm learning...slowly...LOL....

Now I have all these beautiful fabrics that I've bought with my high hopes and lack of skill - and I'm scared to death I'm going to butcher them - kind of like I feel I've done to these other two quilts. I have two I want to make for my mom - and scraps set aside for a "braid" pattern I found - and then the fear sets in. Heck, I can't even get the sewing machine to work...or the rotary cutter I bought...my sewing room is a mess...everything tht was in there is out here in the living room....I should be running through the house screaming my head off...but here i sit...calm...and disheveled...

Sorry - I didn't mean to turn this into a whiney post. It just kinda happened.

Nokie, if you can sew, you can make a quilt block. Start with something simple, like a nine-patch or simple triangles. For a first project, I'd go to WalMart and find some fabric on sale. Sometimes you can find really pretty holiday prints (after the holiday) or discontinued patterns, for dirt cheap ($1 - $2 a yard). Try to find a couple fabrics that go well together; get about a yard of each, then find an easy pattern, to piece. IF you make a mistake, no harm done - that's part of learning. The second block will be better . . . and the third, even better than that! Before you know it, you'll be ready to tackle your "good" fabric!

I would also invest in a good beginner's quilting instruction book. You can find online info but it really helps to have it all in one place, without having to stop and head for the computer. Hobby Lobby often has 40% off coupons, if you have a HL near you. Amazon.com is also a good place, to look for quilting books, often on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
    I, too, am having trouble actually starting a quilt. I LOVE the research part, acquiring the fabrics and notions parts, collecting the machines (HeHe) part and making lists of what i want to start with...then it's as if the "mood" just leaves me...then I stress over it...A HOBBY, for goodness sake!! I don't know if this is a hangup I have or a residual of when I was first married, my Ex would put me down for starting a project and not finishing it...thing is, it was just this one project that he kept bringing up....it didn't matter that I made all my clothes and even clothes for my mother...it was that darn fabric painting piece on velvet no less that I never got finished!! Even now when I think about a UFO (mostly in my embroidery pile), I get major stressed out and since the EX is totally EX'ed, I know this shouldn't bother me!!
    Finish that velvet piece, send it to ex, and get on with your wonderful life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2