Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I may have cross the "too much fabric" line . . . >

I may have cross the "too much fabric" line . . .

I may have cross the "too much fabric" line . . .

Old 11-23-2015, 04:25 AM

How nice to add so much to your stash and already have a plan on where all the quilts will go. My family teases me about my 'mini fabric store' but I am so thankful I accumulated it all before retiring. I still buy if its a super good deal. Last month I scored a bolt of 20yds at 90 wide for $10.78 with tax.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:08 AM

There is no such thing as too much fabric - I have a wall hanging that says that. LOL
Old 11-23-2015, 05:34 AM

Lucky you. Good quilting on all your upcoming projects.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:42 AM

Sounds like you'll be happy sewing for quite a while!!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:56 AM

So happy for you. It sounds like it went to the perfect home. Enjoy!
Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 AM

Happy quilting!! Pulling fabric from that stash will be fun.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:08 AM

I love your story. I know what your sister means about its like saying goodbye to old friends. Since she has no desire to quilt anymore it is nice you was able to purchase it from her. Also to make her & the others some quilts. Sounds like a win, win situation
Old 11-23-2015, 08:29 AM

Here it is - washed and folded. It's unfortunate that about half of the pieces have faded spots from being stored exposed to the sun. I know it's all been put away in boxes for over 20 years. Sis told me that is what I'd find, so no surprise there.

Rough measure - 305 yards, with 84 of that being brown! Yup, my sister's favorite color. Before I put it all away, I plan on cutting 4" squares out of each fabric to put together for a lap quilt for Sis, along with larger bed quilt. That way she'll have a piece of every fabric back. BTW - I love scrappy quilts so that one will be real fun!

Two things I noticed - very little raveling in the wash - and almost all a full 44/45" wide!

I think I was a bit off on the estimated age, Sis worked there before I got married, so these are from mid/late 1970's. Not a large print in the bunch! It's also interesting - Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue , Browns, and a few blacks, but not a single purple in the lot.

Last edited by Macybaby; 11-23-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:48 AM

My sister is a sewer, not a quilter but when she did a make-over on her sewing room she let me pull the cotton fabric out of all the other stuff to take home. It was like Christmas. We don't have similar taste in fabric, she's more pastels and I like the bright bold colors, but I've found that I can use the pastels when I'm making quilts for other people....so it worked out very well.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

A little over 3 years ago I was recovering from spinal surgery for a ruptured C-4-5 disk in my neck. While in Rehab., the respiratory therapist had heard me talking about my quilts, and had looked at the photo album of some of my quilts. She said someone had given her fabric and with some of her own she wasn't going to be using it any time soon, so she asked me if I would like it. Of course I said yes but when it came time for my DH and DS to take it home, they just rolled their eyes, wondering why I would need more fabric. I didn't really 'need" the fabric, but it was so much fun opening her bags to see what she had given me. Not all were in my colors, but I go to a craft fair every year, missed this year because I was in Rehab again because of falls; but I knew I could use them to make crafts for the fair. All in all, she gave me between 47-49 yards of fabric.