Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I may never make another bed-sized quilt again...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    I'm with you, life is too short to wrestle a big quilt through the throat of a small machine. It's about as much fun as hemorrhoids, in my never-to-be-humble opinion. I save my pennies to send my tops to a LAQ!
    I really need to get you guys over to my house and you can hang out in the studio with the open bar and watch me quilt king size quilts on my treadle!

I use a Model 15 for my FMQing and my Singer 27 VS for everything else. I admit I might have the advantage of the size of my quilting table (36x140) but I more than make up the difference by doing it with a treadle.

Plus it would be fun to have a studio full of half drunk women!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy

I have quilted full sized quilt through my little Singer in halves. I created a quilt top in two sections; layered two sections of batting and backing. A full sized quilt - 80" x 100" is two (2) 40" x 100" pieces quilted up to 1" away from the connecting raw edge. Once both halves are quilted, I pull the batting and backing away from the quilt top and sew the quilt top together using a 1/4" seam allowance - and I will admit this is a slow careful process as now I am moving two heavy pieces on my sewing table. Now the two pieces are one quilt. I have laid the quilt on the floor - top side down - to cut the batting flush to itself and turn the raw edge of the backing by pressing it with an iron and handstitch it closed. I hate, and do not recommend, straight pins, so find a way to pin the back to the front and quilt down the middle to finish the quilt.
    I have done two quilts this way - both times I whine and cry (in my head) that I will never do this again. But both times when I am finished I am proud and happy. I have a project in progress that I plan to quilt myself in my little Singer ... I hope to have photos of the progress to inspire you all. It might be a couple of months in the future.
    I am going back to work on Monday!!

maybe you should consider working on more than one project at a time. then when you are frustrated with one or just tired of it you could work on the other one.
    i'm hand quilting a queen sized one now and it sure can get monotonous.

Hello Kryssa,

I understand how you feel! The thought of stuffing all that quilt into that small area then trying to move it around while quilting...

My advice won't help with this quilt, but it could save you this pain in future quilts. I have a home machine, and I do as fancy quilting as I want: outline quilting, repeating stencils, etc. Doing your quilting on one block or one "unit" of 4 blocks together is easy.

Then to put the whole quilt together I use a method described by Georgia Bonesteel in her book "More Lap Quilting". You sew the top together and then hand stitch the back. This book has been around a long time and is easy to find.

Several years ago I made a quilt with this method as a gift for a friend who is a washing-machine-fiend. It has held up to her ownership just fine.

I am currently working on a log cabin with huge 14" blocks. I sewed 4 of the blocks into "units" and am quilting them with a decorative stitch on my machine. They are really pretty. I am on the last one, and then will start to put the whole quilt together already quilted.

I hope this gives you ideas for your NEXT quilt!

Sincerely,
    Levada Pendry

Quote Originally Posted by Kryssa
    I own a Janome Magnolia 7330 and I am about to kill everyone in the house at the thought of sitting down to finish quilting a twin XL quilt.

I'm guessing most of you send your bed quilts to a long arm quilter? But I can't afford that.

Maybe it wouldn't be as bad if I was just quilting straight lines, but I decided to SITD around some of the shapes.

I am about half way done. Maybe I will get another quarter done tonight if I can stand to sit down and start. If I could finish the quilting this weekend I would be so happy.

And I will probably never stray from lap-size and baby quilts again!
    When I do a larger quilt I bring my sewing machine and cabinet out away from the wall. Then I put a cheap folding table behind the cabinet (bought one in CVS for $20) and line up folding TV trays to the left of me. That way I can spread the weight of the quilt on the tables and not on my shoulders. Hope this helps.

I know how you feel Kryssa! My son (+40) just informed me he wants a quilt for his bed this Christmas. Wonderful! Lots of time before then to make one...but his bed is a CA King! I think this is when I will learn QAYG (Quilt as You Go)! I am trying to approach this realistically..not full of dread! We love challenges, don't we???

Anyone here have a source for CA King Quilt Patterns?

Anything larger than a lap quilt goes to the long arm quilter for me. But you can tie them too.

Hi Kryssa, I sympathize with that 'pulling your hair out' kind of feeling! And if this group is like most of the quilters I know in person, very very few of us can afford to send a top out to a long-arm quilter though heaven knows they do wonderful work and I'd love to be able to.
    These are links that helped me alot.
    This first one is to a woman named Marguerite McManus. I'd watched lots of her videos, and used many of her ideas. One is for setting up a machine quilting table at home for not much money with a sheet of insulation and piece of tablecloth plastic. Works great! http://www.crazyshortcutquilts.com/
    This link is to Leah Day's website: http://www.daystyledesigns.com/
    She's a great innovator and teacher of machine quilting and shares generously with links and videos. One of her simplest tips is how to get better control of your foot controller. I go to her often and hope to buy some of her products one day. I think she's already given the info for free, and those are the kind of people I like to support when I can!
    This link is for an awesome 'quilt as you go method' in the tutorials on this board, generously shared by K3N. It's readily adaptable to any pattern and I love the 'no hand-sewing' part. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36303-1.htm
    If it's the weight and how cumbersome working on the whole quilt is (personally that's the part I hate) you might really like quilt as you go.
    Hope this turns into a fun quilting experience for you. It's no fun when part of something you enjoy turns into a misery. Good luck and I hope you'll post on your progress.
    Cheers!

I have a half dozen quilts working at one time. So when something does get to me, I just put that one down for a few days, and work on other ones. I've spread my quilting "stuff" from one bedroom to two. No wonder I never want to clean.

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I can so relate!!! I am working on "perfecting" the quilt as you go process. I am happy with how it is working so far. Big ones are too hard for me.

Hey, I have your solution. I make mine in strips and sew them together after they are quilted. Its bulky when sewing them together and finishing up that seam, but it sure beats trying to deal with the bulk the whole time. Here is a strip that is done and ready to add to another strip. This butterfly quilt will fit my queen sized bed and I am quilting it as I go. I would never tackle trying to hand quilt this in a whole piece. It would never get done and I would smother under the load. This way I will on smother for a short time attaching the strips. :) You may like this. I hand quilt, but you can machine quilt each strip and then sew them together and machine sew where the attachment is. Tah Dah!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rhueluna, your hand quilting is marvellous.....

Quote Originally Posted by rhueluna
    Hey, I have your solution. I make mine in strips and sew them together after they are quilted. Its bulky when sewing them together and finishing up that seam, but it sure beats trying to deal with the bulk the whole time. Here is a strip that is done and ready to add to another strip. This butterfly quilt will fit my queen sized bed and I am quilting it as I go. I would never tackle trying to hand quilt this in a whole piece. It would never get done and I would smother under the load. This way I will on smother for a short time attaching the strips. :) You may like this. I hand quilt, but you can machine quilt each strip and then sew them together and machine sew where the attachment is. Tah Dah!
    Love your pictures! Beautiful example of Quilt as You Go! Thanks for posting a partial project. It's hard to believe it was QAYG sometimes when you see the whole thing completed! Fantastic work.

:thumbup:

I did a Q size and it was very difficult to maneuver the quilt. I stitched in the ditch. Never again. Next time I will do FMQ as I think I could keep from turning the whole quilt so very many times.
    Think about doing small circles or loops in each block to maek the pattern stand out. If each piece in the block is large,do some loops or vines, etc. onto the pieces. Look at some quilted pieces for ideas. Turning the quilt was the worse pain ever, so I will try it this way next time I quilt it. Plus, I will start with a small quilt to see if that will work. Good luck!
    marla

Quote Originally Posted by Kryssa
    I own a Janome Magnolia 7330 and I am about to kill everyone in the house at the thought of sitting down to finish quilting a twin XL quilt.

I'm guessing most of you send your bed quilts to a long arm quilter? But I can't afford that.

Maybe it wouldn't be as bad if I was just quilting straight lines, but I decided to SITD around some of the shapes.

I am about half way done. Maybe I will get another quarter done tonight if I can stand to sit down and start. If I could finish the quilting this weekend I would be so happy.

And I will probably never stray from lap-size and baby quilts again!

My second quilt I did was a queen size Eleanor Burns Trip Around the World doing SITD. As long as I was able to keep the quilt on all the tables, ironing boards around me it went pretty smooth. I would rather quilt a large quilt on my little Kenmore than do a binding any day, but I do them cause the more I do maybe I will finally get one that I can be proud of.

Wow, that is a beautiful butterfly quilt! I hope we get to see the finished project!

I have a book called "quilting in sections" by Marti Mitchell that describes several ways to quilt as you go. I haven't done a queen that way yet, though I will soon. I have tried out a couple of the techniques on smaller quilts, to get a handle on how it works, and I think it will make my queen quilt much more manageable.

There's also a book called "Reversible Quilts" by Sharon Pederson that has a good QAYG technique. I plan to make my mom a full size quilt using her technique.

There are other books, too, but those are the two I've used and had experience with.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    Wow, that is a beautiful butterfly quilt! I hope we get to see the finished project!

I have a book called "quilting in sections" by Marti Mitchell that describes several ways to quilt as you go. I haven't done a queen that way yet, though I will soon. I have tried out a couple of the techniques on smaller quilts, to get a handle on how it works, and I think it will make my queen quilt much more manageable.

There's also a book called "Reversible Quilts" by Sharon Pederson that has a good QAYG technique. I plan to make my mom a full size quilt using her technique.

There are other books, too, but those are the two I've used and had experience with.
    Thank you! Glad you like it. I will post it when its finished. Its one of 4 WIP so it could be a while. :)

Blog Entries
    hi kryssa i know what you talking about, i posted a post a few years back that i found in youtube ,that www,youtube.com the title is how to make a cheap quilting table useing styrol foam ,i had built one and i found it really helpful with my larger quilts hope this helps you Kryssa

Blog Entries
    rhueluna i like your buterfly,s what pattern is it ,i nerver seen one like it and your handquilting is beauitful

Quote Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
    I bought an old dining room table DH cut a hole and made a shelf so my machine is flush with the top and I wear garden gloves l also use a slider This evolved after I had struggled with 4 queen quilts for X-mas gifts.That was 4 years ago now I don't dread quilting my own quilts!
    Hi...this is a question for Quilt Queen...is it possible for you to post a picture of this set-up? I am stuggling with how to set this type of table up...since I'm more of a visual learner, a picture would be better than a 1000 words...Thank-you in advance for your help... :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by nellie
    rhueluna i like your buterfly,s what pattern is it ,i nerver seen one like it and your handquilting is beauitful
    Thank you. Its an antique quilt and I drew a pattern from the picture. I liked it too. I never did find the real pattern.

I just finished a 36x36 inch baby quilt on my small Brother machine. I used pins to hold it in place and got stuck all the time. SID was hard for me too and now I know why I'm sticking to table toppers and purses for a few projects. I had to leave the quilt alone for a day or tow. Now to put the binding on and beleive you me it will be machine stitched now hand stitched. Most LAQ ladies I know charge by the square inch and that adds up really fast.

I barter with my girlfriend. She is a professional long arm quilter. I dog sit for her when she goes out of town and I get quilting credit instead of cash. That way I can afford to have her quilt my large quilts.

cyd
    Blog Entries
    I'm all for being tenacious, but sometimes the mental stress is more than a person can take. The idea of doing it in sections helps, but some of us will never be able to create the masterpieces we see in our heads. All of us have strong and weaker points no matter what the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricnut
    I just finished a 36x36 inch baby quilt on my small Brother machine. I used pins to hold it in place and got stuck all the time. SID was hard for me too and now I know why I'm sticking to table toppers and purses for a few projects. I had to leave the quilt alone for a day or tow. Now to put the binding on and beleive you me it will be machine stitched now hand stitched. Most LAQ ladies I know charge by the square inch and that adds up really fast.
    I had to chuckle, I just did the exact same thing. I pinned my baby quilt in sections and did one at a time hoping that would make it more manageable and between all the pins that fell out and all the pins that stuck me - well, if I'd had something to drink afterwards I would have probably leaked!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast