Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: I may never make another bed-sized quilt again...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I will be making bed size quilts for Christmas, and I will be quilting them on my Elna 1010, I don't have money to send anything out. I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. maybe if you did a little at a time, It would go better for you. God bless.

Blog Entries
    Kryssa - Thanks for starting this thread! Lots of info here!! I am so intimidated to quilt the larger sizes - have just done baby and lap sizes. I kringe each time I send a quilt to a long arm (even though they do a good job) but I feel that I don't have a choice since I really can't quilt the bigger ones. I guess I should try again - I may hate it while I'm doing it and will be happy when it's over but I should give it a go.

I am so glad I'm not the only one that finds machine quilting a burden! I have been thinking all this time that there's something wrong with me! I love the look of a machine quilted piece, but LORD don't make me do it PLEASE!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vjengels
    I am so glad I'm not the only one that finds machine quilting a burden! I have been thinking all this time that there's something wrong with me! I love the look of a machine quilted piece, but LORD don't make me do it PLEASE!
    LOL!!! I guess, on second thought, I agree!! All I can say is 'Amen!!'

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    I personally think SITD is one of the harder ways to quilt!!
    I like the idea I've seen several here use...quilting with a wavey stitch pattern that is on many machines. I prefer FMQ even on large quilts. I am working on a quilt as you go right now. So far it is easy, but I haven't started sewing the blocks together yet...... :wink:
    I agree with you. I've tried STID and prefer to quilt to the side of each seam rather than try to stitch in the ditch. Eventually I would like to become more comfortable with machine quilting whether it's my first choice or not but also, one just never knows, things can and do change and it could become my only option so I want to begin learning now.

Blog Entries
    What is a slider?

If you are going to try stitch in the ditch, have all the seams pressed the same way on the seam you want to stitch in so that the machine foot isn't going from high to low back and forth. Does that make sense? It's a pain to figure out the pressing but it does help me.

I have found turning my machine as suggested on another thread really helped. Now I can even use my little 11 pound Janome Gem Gold to do my FMQ on my king size. I do agree SITD is difficult.

Sorry you're having trouble. Have you thought of getting a frame for the quilt? I bought a Flynn Multi-frame system ($130) a while back. I haven't used it too much but it did seem like it really helped.

Sometimes a quilt idea just doesn't go the way it should. I usually stitch in the ditch. But decided to FMQ my last quilt.
    O once I started I couldn't stop. But I so wanted to. While mr. ripper and I don't usually get along.
    There was agreement between us both. To much thread to unpick to stop.
    Glad she loved it but there you go.
    Good luck. And don't let it stop you from trying a larger quilt next time.

You know, I am so glad to read this, because I thought it was just me ....I loved making the tops but had trouble with the first one I tried to quilt myself, so I tied it! And just quilted around the outside border. I am sending my next one to a LAQ, which will be a first for me.

For fosseldaughter,

I missed the advice on another thread about turning the machine in order to quilt. Can you describe the technique to me?
    Many thanks
    NannyQ

Thanks for the advice about the seams/stitch in the ditch. I understand what you mean. I was using Minky as a backing on the quilt top..the beautiful stuff with RIDGES. Well, it fights the machine even with a walk. foot. Person in the quilt shop explained this to me....NOW she tells me after I spent a lot of $ on another sale person's recommendation. Watch out for Minky...beautiful, but a fighter!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4