Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I must clean bathrooms before I quilt!! >

I must clean bathrooms before I quilt!!

I must clean bathrooms before I quilt!!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
I am an early riser, so much gets done in the wee hours. But once the quilt itch starts, housework stops and I retreat to my sewing room. I will break and start a cleaning project, then back to the sewing room. I do hate to vacuum, so I push myself every 3-4 days to get that done. It's only me and hubby now, retired and enjoying life. I don't fret over housework anymore. It gets done,,,,, eventually.
Vacuum every 3-4 days???? Are you kiddding me??? Maybe every 3-4 weeks...more like it!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:00 AM

I am not shocked at all because since our nest has become empty I find that I do not stay on any schedule for cleaning. The only reason that I vacuum more than once a week is because my two dogs (short haired) shed so bad that if I did not do it that often I could probably scrap up enough dog hairs to make another dog.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:04 AM

I've noticed that I've gotten slack at the housework. But my housework haunts me if it gets to far behind. I still have lots of quilt time left.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 AM

I like to feel my house is "in order" so I can quilt without quilt. A few of the things that helps is sewing room is on 2nd floor so I can close the door when it's messy looking, our bedroom is on our main floor so if the quilt is pulled up neatly the bedroom looks good (finally trained DH to to this), I give the downstairs bathroom a lick and a promise whenver I use it and having a big hamper in our clothes closet so I don't have tdirty laundy staring me in the face, all wet stuff goes into washing machine until wash day. Also several rooms have hard flooring surfaces, easier and quicker to clean up when needed and dirty dishes hide in the dishwasher until it's full. Finished my morning coffee while on the computer and while on the way to my sewing room will do a little check of the downstairs rooms and then I feel free to sew and quilt as long as I need to today.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
... No, really, taught them to clean up after selves so really doesn't get a mess. They can even run the vacuum.
Seriously, how did you manage this? My DH and adult SS DO NOT clean up after themselves.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:52 AM

I clean every two weeks and maybe use swiffer duster in between. My Mom would never sew or quilt until her house was spotless!! When she passed away, we had tons of patterns, fabric, etc. What will people remember 10 years from now? That you made something for them or that your house was clean!?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 AM

Sometimes I have a lot to do around the house but want/need to quilt too so I set a timer for 15 minutes. Do as much housework as I can in those 15 minutes then set it again and do 15 of quilting. I can always find something that "needs" to be done around the house and if I keep going and going on the house I run out of either time or energy to quilt. Setting the timer for 15 or 30 works on those days...

Diannia
Old 06-01-2011, 07:19 AM

I use it as a reward too.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:20 AM

We all have our priorities and mine are "Quilt before all else". I've been a widow for 25 years, my four sons are grown and married with families of their own. I clean when they come to visit LOL Luckily, I'm not bothered by a little dust or a few threads on the carpet.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:42 AM

I am like you. If I don't make myself clean first it won't get done because quilting is so much fun and rewarding! Cleaning, not much fun but necessary. :-P