Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: And I said I would never need math when I grew up.......

had they made it more interesting, we all might have paid more attention.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    a square plus b square equals c square sure comes in handy for those setting triangles.
    Huh? :lol:
    Jan in VA

Math, who needs math? Lucky for me my husband is a math wiz and most of my quilt friends are pretty good too.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    a square plus b square equals c square sure comes in handy for those setting triangles.
    Then you need to find the square root of c to find the length of the hypotenuse.

Never could understand why the square root of c was different from a + b

Yes, I've often thought that if they had combined home ec and geometry and had us making quilts, I would have been much more inspired to do my geometry homework. But at the time, of course, I wasn't a quilter, so who knows if it really would have helped.

If you are homeschooling, though, it seems to have real possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
    I was a stupid kid!! Guess I didn't know I would be quilting! ;-)
    I was never a bad math student in school but math and I aren't friends yet with the aid of a calculator I can balance the check book to the penny and do what I refer to as "voluted quilt math." My husband is a retired high school math teacher and our son and daughter were both math majors in college and our daughter is a math/english teacher and our son works as sales manager for a Ford/Lincoln dealership. They laugh at me and my convoluted math logic which for some bizzare reason works well every time. LOL However I always figure things out two different ways to have a check to make sure I have it right. For math examples of how math/geometry applies to regular life, my daughter fills her room with my quilts and they do a lot of fun and unique math related project such as building bridges and buildings using q tips and toothpicks.

I was just thinking the same thing the other day....why, oh why didn't I pay more attention in geometry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
    I was a stupid kid!! Guess I didn't know I would be quilting! ;-)
    My sentiments exactly! :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by loishe
    Quilt math is hard for me. Let's face it...all math is just not my thing!
    Amen :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    DH thinks I'm the only one that keeps a calculator in the sewing room. I doubt that!
    HAHA! I have a calculator, graph paper and crayons in my sewing area to calculate yardage and draw pictures of my pattern...and I failed math AND art classes in highschool. Somehow I aced math in college, and even peer tutored...Lord know how...

We all need math at some level. If you don't believe this, go to McD's sometime and have a teenager try to make change for you. I'm SO glad my daughter is a math teacher!!

Blog Entries
    I never appreciated that geometry was involved in the quilting process! I thought it was just fractions. Well I was hopeless at both, although I had no problem adding up, subtracting and multiplying, anything else just went over my head. Now I am over s...y, and a quilter I have at last grasped (a little) the science of geometry without even realising it. Perhaps schools should teach quilting first then the geometry and fractions will come naturally. Incidentally, I only achieved C's in my needlework class.

I'm not very good at math, unfortunately. You should have seen me in JoAnn's the other day, counting on my fingers and trying to figure out what 30% of these two different fabrics were, then half that price 'cause I was only getting half a yard of each, then what that plus my other purchases would total (I buy on an allowance, so I gotta stay under $10).

So today when I dropped in again to pick up one last fabric - I brought my cell phone and did the math on the calculator function!

What does that mean Martina? When studying IT in 1995 onwards (I was 55 then) I needed algebra, indices, and probabilities and statistics - they were all rude words to me and I couldn't understand why we needed to play with the dice - I found logic and bits and bytes much easier to understand, but I can figure out anything in quilting :lol: I do most sums in my head or on paper and don't like calculators. I can build a computer (older style now 286-486+ because today's pcs configure themselves) but don't like playing with the remote control on tv :roll: We can do whatever we think is worth knowing about :thumbup:

You're confusing me Bearisgray :roll:

Blog Entries
    I always say I'm geometrically challenged. I'm definitely one of those that has to measure twice, cut once. :)

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    DD was learning in 3rd grade what I learned in high school. But luckily I loved math so quilting and the math that goes with it comes fairly easy for me. It helps when trying to figure out patterns from tiny pictures.
    I teach third grade, and I can't believe what I am teaching those 8-year-olds! We just adopted a new math series, and you're right. I learned it in college, or high school geometry. But the kids love to look at quilt blocks when we're doing geometry, and have used paper to "piece" quilts to learn patterns, fractions, and geometry.

Power Poster
    It's all Greek to me. :P

Tying quilting to math is the subject of a presentation our quilt guild will make to a high school geometry class. Several of us are going to prepare this and I would like to know in what way can we tie it to math other than using rulers, creating blocks, etc. Any help would be appreciated. I am not a math teacher.

I realize now, about 100 years later, that I should have paid more attention in math. I was looking at a quilt book today that calls for make trapazoids???? Give me a break!!!!. I will stick with the triangle and squares. Gives my brain too much pain to think about all that high faluting stuff!

I teach a class and call quilting geometry for girls :wink:

I knew there was a reason I loved geometry in school.

where 1+1=2, i can do the math, i bucked algebra, never did geomytry, and here i am, unable to figure out how to use the quilt calculator. i do it all by hand now. lol, i feel like i am definately not with it anymore

Quote Originally Posted by tdgiffin
    I have been through many college level math classes, and did very well (Dean's list), but I can't figure out how much yardage I will need for a quilt to save my life! How embarrassing!
    I'm with you. A student in math all my life but you can't believe how messed up I can get trying to figure out quilt math. Could it be age? Naaaahhhhh!

Blog Entries
    I totally agree. Sure wish I had paid more attention in math>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast