Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I sewed my finger!!!!! >

I sewed my finger!!!!!

I sewed my finger!!!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:40 PM

Glad your finger is okay. When I went to test the different machines before I bought mine I almost sewed my finger right there in the store. I had never used a machine before and I almost gave the poor lady a heart attack. She was nervous about selling me one.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

Oh I have done that too, but...
It was late at night, burning the midnight oil when the kiddies were 12 and under. Sewed my forefinger right through the nail, left hand--ouch--broke the needle, and I knew there was a pieceof needle in my finger. DH took me to ER, and the older MD on call didn't beleive me when I told him there was metal in my finger, but I could feel it. Long story short, he deadened the finger and started cutting and voila, there was about a 1/4" piece of needle. Think the old guy was wondering why any sane person was sewing at that time of night, but young mom's everywhere know why. Anyway 25+ years later end of finger still has a dead spot! Be careful out there!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 PM

I was rushing to finish a quilt,as we all know we shouldn't rush.... and talking to someone here, and didn't realise my finger was that close. Oweeeeeeee I caught the side right by the nail. Luckily it didn't catch the nail. It kept right on sewing, but I had to cut the thread from my finger.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:15 PM

I am not even going to read this thread. It is like if I think about it it will happen. EWWWW!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 PM

I've sewn my finger a few times. Never through the nail though. OUchie..
Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 PM

have not gotten my finger, but have gotten the fingernail, bent the needle.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:19 PM

Ugh. I can picture all of these scenarios all too well.

When I was a child and my younger brother was 4-yrs old, he left the dinner table, wandered into the living room and put the threaded needle of the treadle machine through his forefinger. Of course, we all rushed to see the cause of the yelling. My mother is still grossed out, thinking about having to turn the wheel to release his finger, then cut the threads.

Hopefully I learned by watching because I haven't duplicated his move.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Power Poster

I am cringing. OUCH!!!! I haven't done that (yet). I'm glad you didn't get hurt too bad. OUCH again.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 PM

I sewed my finger only once (that I recall) and not very long ago either. I didn't like that very much!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:57 PM

I have never sewed my finger, but every time I change the needle I manage to jab myself really good. Many years ago one of my SIL's was trying to learn to sew. She wasn't paying attention and pressed the foot peddle real hard. Not only did she put the needle through her fingernail, but added a couple more stitched for good measure before she had the sense to lift up her foot. The last stitch went almost half way through the bone. Her dad just took a plyers and pulled it out. The site of blood doesn't bother me ( I grew up with 7 older brothers and a sister, also have 4 of my own) but I do think that having that needle go through the bone would have made me ralph.