Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I sewed my finger!!!!! >

I sewed my finger!!!!!

I sewed my finger!!!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 PM

That is the reason I use a stylus or even my seam ripper tip when I am sewing.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:29 PM

Well I figure I might as well put my two cents in too. I haven't actually sewn "through" my finger but a few years ago I was sewing late at night, everyone was in bed, & I just caught a little piece of skin on the side of my finger. It was just in a spot where i couldn't get the needle raised up high enough to get the needle out & it was in just enough where my skin was a little too thick to just pull it sideways to release it. My sewing room is in the basement & I figured no one would hear me even if I did yell so I just kept working at it & somehow managed to get it out. I sure felt dumb at the time but figured it could've been lots worse so I guess I can join the "Sewing your finger club (kind of)." We do learn from our mistakes!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Power Poster

OUCH! I'm glad you are ok. You must have one heck of a machine not to mess up after that.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 PM

I was using my serger and going fast and it was vibrating some. I wasn't paying attention when all of a sudden it went off the edge of the table. I grabbed for it and it got me with both needles. Isn't it amazing how at first you don't even feel it, then your finger comes back to life and you definitely feel it. Not much blood with mine either though.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:40 PM

I have sewn for about 40 years and quilted 1 1/2 now. I finally sewed through my finger on Dec 30,2009. It went right through next to my fingernail. I stopped sewing immediately and I just sat there looking at it for a minute.
The needle was sticking out of the bottom of my finger about 1/4". It didn't break the needle, just bent it quite a bit. I finally just turned the crank backwards and held my finger down because it wanted to go up with the needle. It came out and all I could think was, crap, now I can't sew until my finger stops bleeding. It only bled a minute, I've had my tetanus shot, so I went back to sewing. I did keep the needle as a reminder to "Stop sewing before adjusting seams about ready to be sewn"!!! LOL I was going to post a picture of my needle but there's no attachment thing. You'd be surprised how bent it is. I want in the "Club" too! LOL

Found it! Here's my needle!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28424[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-28424.jpe  
Old 03-03-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
I was working on my latest charity quilt today and I sewed my finger. I was very very fortunate. I was doing machine applique using the satin stitch. I had the foot pedal unplugged so it was going pretty fast and it went in and out right beside by finger nail. It didn't stop the machine and it didn't skip a stitch. It just kept right on sewing. No blood on the quilt either. That's what is really important!!

So, want to share your sewing over your finger story?

LOL......well that one way to put stitches in your finger...so I could not resist
Old 03-04-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
I was working on my latest charity quilt today and I sewed my finger. I was very very fortunate. I was doing machine applique using the satin stitch. I had the foot pedal unplugged so it was going pretty fast and it went in and out right beside by finger nail. It didn't stop the machine and it didn't skip a stitch. It just kept right on sewing. No blood on the quilt either. That's what is really important!!

So, want to share your sewing over your finger story?
Really glad you're okay! And, that you avoided the "ultimate" tragedy of getting blood on the quilt!! :-)

I haven't sewn any fingers yet but have a similar story, one that tells more about the age we live in than how dumb we can be. Here goes... one of my other hobbies is wood working. Nothing big... bookcases, that sort of thing. My golden rule has always been not to work with power tools when I'm tired. I should have listened to myself this particular night.

I was using my table saw to reduce the width of a board. Don't cringe -- didn't lose any appendages. When I reached to the other side to grab the board as it came thru, I got too close to the blade with my left thumb. As someone said, at first you don't really feel anything. At most, I felt a burning sensation.

So, I stood there for a second, looking at my thumb, when it dawned on me that I'd cut it. Duh! Of course, after a few seconds, there was a lot of blood. I grabbed a shop cloth, wrapped my thumb, hopped in the car, and drove myself to the ER, all the while cursing that I'd broken my own rule about working when tired. This was about 11pm.

I'm not quite sure what the intake nurse wrote on my form but a few minutes later, while I'm waiting, a couple of people popped their heads into her office asking about "the woman who cut her thumb off with a table saw?!!" Guess I was the excitement on an otherwise dull night.

Long story short, ahd here's the telling part about the age we live in, while I'm being stitched up, there's a man in the next cubicle who's also being stitched up. He'd cut his hand on a broken glass while doing the dishes!

Glad to say my thumb is okay, just a small scar that I use as a reminder of my golden rule. I also learned something else.... never buy a cheap power tool where the safety gizmos (like the blade guard) eventually fall off!!!!! :roll: Oh yah, use a push board!!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:32 AM

Ouch!
It's too early in the morning to make me cringe.

Glad your ok.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 AM

I have sewn my finger to. Have had friends cut or ;ost a finger to power tools.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:27 AM

Wow! I was lucky enough to be born with stong fast growing finger nails, I've sewn through my index nails several times, it's a pain in the ,,,, chips, or punctures the nail, sometimes breaks my needle, either way I have to stop what I'm doing, fix whatever it is....I should buy a stylus.