Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Sure Need Some Advise >

I Sure Need Some Advise

I Sure Need Some Advise

Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 PM

This is what I did when I made a rag quilt. I did use my own washer and dryer and had no problems. Had a small amount of threads to collect after the first wash, but most came from the drying process. Definitely check the dryer often as Deborahlees suggested. I still had to give mine another good shake after the drying process. I think I ended up doing the whole washing, drying and shaking process twice.

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
ok...............no worries, it is NOT THAT BAD......
I have always used my own with no problems at all.....
I am assuming you rag cut all your edges.....
So first what I do is take it out side on the lawn and shake the he... out of it, that gets rid of some of
the threads, next wash cold, gentle in your machine....that loosens up the rest.....now into the dryer
thats where you are going to get the most, I went back to my machine about every 10 minutes, stopped it
and removed the lint filter, and cleaned, started again, went back again....that way you have nothing to be worried
about, pending on the size of your quilt, you MAY, want to wash and dry again......but not really necessary....
These are great quilts for young children, if you give as gifts, just tell the parents to wash and dry expecting some lint for the first couple times.....then it does stop !!!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
So...everyone thinks it's OK to plug up a laundromat washer, but not their own???
I think the idea is that a laundromat has bigger filters and drains and isn't as touchy as a home machine might be.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
If you have a washer that "dumps" into a wash tub prior to the sewer line , its easy to catch the lint/threads , just put a nylon stocking over the end of the line ( secure with rubber bands) to catch the stuff that is shed in the washing process. If not I would say go to the laundry mat.
lori s that is exactly what i do. great minds think alike.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:22 PM

I read somewhere, maybe on here, that if you put a micro towel in the dryer it will collect the threads. Haven't tried it yet, but I did get a couple yesterday for the one that I hope will be done next week.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 PM

My quilting friends use their own washers, but I won't. The first rag quilt I made (lap size), I brought to the laundromat and it ruined the front loading machine. It never finished spinning out and there was thick lint all over inside the machine. After that experience, I will not take the chance of destroying my own machine with the first washing of a rag quilt.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:52 PM

I took a queen size one like that to a laundromat and showed it to the attendant before washing it. He said it would be no probably and their machines have special filters that are cleaned regularly. That's not speaking for every laundromat, of course, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 PM

My LQS had a tip. I havent tried it yet but want to soon. They suggested making a large "bag" out of muslin and putting the quilt in it to wash and dry. it is supposed to allow it to fringe while holding all the extra threads inside the bag.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 PM

Actually, I don't wash mine at the laundromat. I get the newly finished rag quilt thoroughly wet at home, where I know the sink/tub is clean. I don't wash it but take it wet to the laundromat and put it in the dryer without heat and let it tumble. then I have to continually remove the excess lint. When it stops shedding then I put it on low heat and take it home when done.

Funny note: One of my rq's really shed a LOT at the laundromat. A sweet little vietnamese lady was worried I had 'broke' the quilt. There was no easy way to explain the process to it. She saw the quilt before I put it in the dryer. When she saw the finished product I wonder what she thought. Too funny.

ali
Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 PM

I figure if all the writers of the rag quilt patterns say to use the laundromat, it is a good idea. I have an older set of washer/dryer so no need to cause any problems. I do take the quilt outside and shake it - a LOT. Then off to the nice laundromat close to me with my quilt(s), soap, dryer sheets and my Kindle. After a quick run thru Starbucks drive-in, I am good to go for an hour or so at the laundromat. The recipients of my rag quilts have all been told if their quilts need to be washed, just let me know and I will take it to the laundromat again. I do not dry them fully at the laundromat, but take the slightly damp quilt home and hang it to fully dry (in good weather). Oh, did I mention, I LOVE rag quilts. I hope you get the appreciation of flannel rag quilts that I have. :-)
Old 10-24-2012, 08:30 PM

we've done a lot of these in my classroom at school and we have access to a washer/dryer so my kids can wash them when they are done.

This is what I do at home and have them do the same in class.

We do not wash the quilt, we only put it through the rinse and spin cycle. We only dry one quilt at a time. I give my student a timer and have them set it for 10 minutes. We set the dryer on cotton, toss the quilt in, and start it up. When the timer goes off, they open the dryer, clean out the lint tray, set the timer for another 10 minutes, and start up the dryer again.

Since you are only drying one quilt, they actually dry pretty quickly. And when, after 10 minutes, there is little lint showing up in the lint tray, they can then leave the quilt in the dryer until it is completely dry. The whole process usually takes about 40 minutes, the last 10 being the final drying time needed. These aren't small baby quilts either, the kids make them to fit their size and they are high schoolers.