Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Sure Need Some Advise >

I Sure Need Some Advise

I Sure Need Some Advise

Old 10-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Jim

we washed and dried every one we have made at home...making sure to clean traps well every time...and we have made at least 25 or 30 or more of them
Old 10-25-2012, 05:45 AM

I did a double-bed size at home with no problem. I just kept watch on the dryer. I do put a laundry sock over the hose that empties into the slop sink to catch the threads as I live in a very old building with very old plumbing.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 AM

I give mine a good shake then throw it in the dryer FIRST and clean the filter frequently. I don't even dampen it before tossing it in the dryer. It is amazing how much that removes the strings and fluffs the edges. Then I toss it in the washer with a knee-high stocking on the hose but most of the strings have already been removed in the dryer.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
So...everyone thinks it's OK to plug up a laundromat washer, but not their own???
Commercial washers are made too handle way more than a home unit.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 AM

Others may disagree, but a dear friend made a flannel rag quilt for me which is super warm & heavy in a favorite of mine of Laurel Burch patterns. She also took 2 pillowcases sewed them together & made a bag for me to wash the quilt in as she said it will definitely shed a lot. She had washed it this way before giving it to me and warned me not to wash it without the cases. I haven't washed it as yet, but doubt I will ever wash it in my home machine. But I will use the 2 pillowcase holder when I go to the laundromat.

Thats the best I an suggest.
Enjoy it, mine is so warm & comfy.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:35 AM

I have made a few rag quilts & have always wash my finished rag quilt in my home washer.
I have a wash tub where mywasher water goes directly into.w/a mini drain cover that I clean out before rewashing so the tub does not clog.I always re wash the rag quilt again & do the same.
Hope this helps to releave your fears
Old 10-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Have made many , many of these quilts. Flannel homespun, Have 60 yr old sewer system so I take to laundermat. Our machine will hold 3 quilts (non agitaiting type) & is only $3.50-$4. Beats paying rotor rooter
Old 10-25-2012, 08:11 PM

I just finished a rag quilt about a week ago and debated to dry at home or a laundromat. I took it to the laundrymat. A handful of lint was collected and I cleaned out the lint trap. This quilt was a labor of love.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
I have just finished a flannel rag quilt and need to wash it......gonna be lots of shedding. Do you think I can use a landromat washer and dryer? I am totally afraid to use my own as I am sure it will clog the drain. I am convinced I will never do this again. I already feel guilty....any advise or experiences will be greatly appreciated.....
I have never made a flannel quilt like this before so I can't really advise about the washing; however when I make anything that will shed lots of fuzz and threads, I put it in my dryer on air first and sometimes a couple of times, then clean my lint filter, this is what I do before washing. This helps to cut down on all the excess strings that might get into the washer.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:49 AM

What a smart idea for doing baby minkie quilts!!
Originally Posted by MyQuiltedFrenzy View Post
You can put it in a pillow case, closed with safety pins. Then wash and dry. No lint in machine and you can then take it outside to shake it out. I repair old quilts and use that method. It keeps them in one piece as some are really delicate.