Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think the quilt police have my name... >

I think the quilt police have my name...

I think the quilt police have my name...

Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 PM

I sew my binding to the front and SITD to attach it to the the back. It looks good to me. I had my GD sew hers to the back and bring it to the front and machine sew on the edge. It didn't look bad from the front though I prefer the hidden SITD stitches, but the 'ghost' line that showed up on the back in places was not attractive. The only hand sewing on my quilts is a blanket stitch with embroidery thread around the label.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 PM

You are not alone...I only do my binding with the machine. I stitch the folded strip to the front of the quilt , fold it over and stitch in the ditch. My binding comes out neat every time. Figured since I was not in a show, I would leave the hand binding to those who enjoy it! Guess I am a weirdo, too!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 PM

I'm a weirdo to - and proud of it! Just as I wouldn't skydive - because why would I jump out of a perfectly good airplane, so too, I don't hand stitch when there is a perfectly good machine around to do it!! I brag to my friends that I don't even sew on buttons by hand - I use my machine. The only time I have a needle and thread out is to stitch on a label - and even that I fuse on first. Blame it on eyesight, arthritis, laziness, what ever turns your crank. I just like power tools lol!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 PM

As you can see, you are not alone. I also do my binding by machine. The reason I have a machine is to do everything with it, and nothing by hand.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 PM

I don't do anything by hand that I can avoid. That's why I bought a sewing machine. LOL If that's weird then so be it. However, I do love the look of hand quilting but it's just not for me. I think everyone should do which ever method they enjoy. Life is just too short to worry about rude comments from a stranger.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:17 PM

Do what makes YOU happy!!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 AM

i do it all by machine. i admire those who do handwork. not for me. My mother told me once I dont quilt. well, my top is #98, I must do something. Handworkers are dedicated and patient. Patience is not one of my virtues.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:43 AM

I do all my binding by machine, I usually use a decorative stitch and I like the look of it and I agree that I think it holds better.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:42 AM

I like both handwork and machine work. Its not the technique but the quality that draws me in. I've seen good and bad in both. Kudos to those who do the hand work and can make it look lovely. Each has its own skill and not everyone can do both. Appreciating skill rather than technique is hard for some to overcome. And I think she might have been moving on to the next cutstomer whom she might be able to sell her product. I wish I could get my machine sewn bindings to look good, so I continue to do it by hand if I want a nicer finish. Not that I like hand work, its sometimes just necessary.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

I like both, but you should do what makes you happy!