Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think the quilt police have my name... >

I think the quilt police have my name...

I think the quilt police have my name...

Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 AM

I enjoy applique and do a variation of needle turn, but I hate binding. I do a good job, but it is boring and time-consuming. If I could come up with a method of doing it by machine that I thought really looked good, I'd sure put it to use! I really need to spend some time working on a technique that will look good on both sides. I need to see how Sharon S. does it. Is there a You Tube video showing that?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 AM

I machine sew everything possible and how ironic I crochet too!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 AM

Don't let that woman's snub bother you, she wasn't the Quilt Police, she was a Quilt Snob.

I do a lot of quick baby and kids quilts so machine sewing the bindings makes a lot of sense. Sometimes I do a special quilt that I take alot of time with because it is for a special person and that's when I do the traditional binding by hand sewing it down in the back. Hand sewing isn't my thing, I start off nice and small but after awhile my stiches are a half inch apart. ompletely by machine, lots
Old 03-06-2012, 07:59 AM

Detest hand sewing! Only do it when all else fails.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 AM

I dislike handwork as well, and put all my bindings on by machine - pretty much the way you do. Yup there are quilt snobs and machine snobs and snobs of every discription in this life. Best to just ignore them and pretty soon they go away if they can't seem to impress you :-).
Old 03-06-2012, 08:27 AM

I have hand stitched only ONE quilt and my 4 adult children all want it. Other than that, it is machines all the way. Someday, I will finish the Hawaiian queen size I started about 20 years ago. If it takes me another 20 yrs to finish I can complete it when I am 90.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 AM

Ok -- let me say this -- I LOVE the handwork. I'm not good at sewing the last of the binding on by hand. BUT -- I would NOT be critical of someone just because they DO sew with a sewing machine. I've seen some hand bound quilts where I wish the owner HAD used a machine! It's not classy to be so critical as to snub someone just because they do a technique differently!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
I'm a weirdo to - and proud of it! Just as I wouldn't skydive - because why would I jump out of a perfectly good airplane, so too, I don't hand stitch when there is a perfectly good machine around to do it!! I brag to my friends that I don't even sew on buttons by hand - I use my machine. The only time I have a needle and thread out is to stitch on a label - and even that I fuse on first. Blame it on eyesight, arthritis, laziness, what ever turns your crank. I just like power tools lol!
You are a hoot! "Whatever turns your crank" indeed!!!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:09 PM

I think I fall firmly into both weirdo camps. I really am enjoying hand-piecing my GFG and love to hand-quilt, but I will admit I cannot even consider hand sewing a binding on. I like the way it looks done by machine. I will also admit that I enjoy the hand-piecing and hand-quilting mostly because when I sit at the sewing machine for more than an hour or so my back, neck and shoulders start to hurt a lot. I've tried every position and just end up in pain if I machine for too long.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM

i machine sew everything and about half off my bindings are hand sewn and half by machine i like to have something to do in the car on long trips.