Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think the quilt police have my name... >

I think the quilt police have my name...

I think the quilt police have my name...

Old 03-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Even after having wrist surgery I cannot hand sew. I loved to embroider in my youth, but it isn't possible any longer. This vendor can go jump in a lake as far as I am concerned. I don't care what her opinion is, she should not be a snob!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:27 PM

I do as much as possible by machine....especially bindings! I sew to the backside, flip to the front and sew down using one of the pretty decorative stitches. I feel like it is a much stronger binding that way.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM

I do my quilts all by machine too. I only do anything my hand if is going to be a heirloom and not be used. If my grandchildren are going to dragging a quilt I made them around on the floor I know a machine stitched binding is going to stay put before a hand stitched one will. And the lady shouldn't have been rude to you because you do something different than she thinks it should be done. Who made her judge and jury?
Old 03-07-2012, 02:14 AM

Thanks, everyone. Her rudeness to me didn't bother me as much as her ignoring my MIL after I said that. My MIL had a question for her about her product but...

As my MIL said, "I guess she didn't want to make a sale afterall."

I am like everyone else. Just because I don't do it, doesn't mean I don't appreciate someone else's work. I adore my MIL and would have bought the kit for her but after the way the woman acted MIL didn't want it.

I was just checking to see if there were any others like me and there are!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:41 AM

I'm with you, I HATE hand sewing and avoid it at all cost, lol
Old 03-07-2012, 03:53 AM

That's too bad that you were treated poorly. Judgment comes in all forms from a lot of people, and I admit to being guilty of it myself on occasion. Hopefully with stories like yours we can all become more conscious of our own behavior. We sew because it brings us joy, so whatever method that brings you joy is what you should practice!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:02 AM

Sorry, but I love handwork. It is relaxing to me. Things seem to go together much nicer when done by hand. And, it certainlu is softer to the touch. But, to each his own. If you enjoy working on your machine, then by no means are you weird. Everyone has his own style and preference. Evidently your bindings were done well enough that she didn't realize they weren't done by hand. I love all the wonderful stitches and work that can be done by machine. I wish my back and my machine abilities were stronger. Keep up the good work. Don't let anyone tear you down.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:02 AM

I do bindings by hand or by machine. depends on the article and my mood. i don't enter mine in shows either.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:05 AM

Whatever for for you is great…do let anyone intimidate you into doing something you don't care for, this is suppose to be relaxing and fun!!!Just my opinion!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:33 AM

MaryLane...

My local quilting partner in crime is a "binding snob"....lol I love her dearly and don't mind her comments at all.. I just blow raspberries at her when she harasses me! She loves handwork and I have never seen a more lovely invisible appliqué stitch then the one she lays down. She's as fast as a spider spinning a web too. She can hand sew down a queen sized binding in two nights and she loves every stitch. Not me... I do it occasionally...but...we differ on binding theory. When I'm making a quilt for the fair I most definitely machine sew to the front and hand stitch down the back. However, ... when I'm making a quilt for the grand kids or a table runner....anything that I feel will get machine washed frequently I machine stitch the entire binding on. I get them on straight and my corners are true...so I'm happy with that. To echo auntpiggylpn - I also have an old neck injury from a truck wreck back in 1980 and it gets to screaaaaaaaaaaming at me if I do too much handwork where I'm looking at anything like a Robin spies a worm. OUCHIE..

You just have to do what's right for you. Don't let anyone make you feel badly about it... variety makes the world go round. How boring life would be if we ALL did everything the same way.