Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think the quilt police have my name... >

I think the quilt police have my name...

I think the quilt police have my name...

Old 03-07-2012, 06:15 AM

quilt police are Legends In Their Own Minds. They think they know it all and what is best for everyone and everything. I do whatever seems right at the time. I dont like to do handwork, but love how it looks . So if the mood strikes, i will do the work. Just keep doin ya own thang and enjoy. lol
Old 03-07-2012, 06:15 AM

I make bunches of Quilts for Kids quilts. They REQUIRE that everything be machine sewn - NO hand sewing Works for me!! I hate sewing by hand too!! I do break down and sew some by hand - my Civil War reproductions.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
I am just going to say this up front. I don't like hand sewing and avoid it at all costs. I not only don't like doing it, I am not a real fan of seeing a lot of it.

I do my bindings by machine and love the look. Both of my grandmothers did theirs the same way. Stitch it to the back and roll to the front and top stitch. That is the look I like best. I do sometimes go the other way and stitch in the ditch from the top. It all looks good to me.

At a quilt show last Thursday I was looking at something with my MIL and the vendor commented on how I could use it when I did handwork. I chuckled and said, "I don't do handwork if I can avoid it."

She said, "Except for your bindings, of course."

I said, "No. I do those by machine. I like how they look that way."

My MIL said, "I love to do handwork," but the woman would not talk to us anymore.

Am I the only weirdo out here that doesn't like handwork? People talk about how relaxing it is but it gives me a pain in my shoulders and a headache. I see no point in being physically miserable if I can achieve the results I want with a machine.

I know there are no QP but I think there are some quilt snobs!

If you are a fellow weirdo, you aren't alone!

BTW, I do crochet and that doesn't bother me.
no you are not a weirdo or atleast by your self (lol).I hate binding period I do the least amount on hand as I have too I really hate hand work myself.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:22 AM

If I had to do any quilting or piecing by hand I would have never started. If it can't be done by machine I'm not doing it.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:26 AM

It's funny, but I like to do the binding by hand and my friend hates it. She loves to cut fabric and is very good at it so we have a deal. She cuts for me (not all projects, but some) and I bind for her. We both win! I see nothing wrong with doing it the way you enjoy the most. Isn't that what's quiltings supposed to be about anyway? If not, I would guess that you'd have a lot of quilt tops and few completed quilts.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 AM

I agree with you machine stitch the bindings.
I think they are sturdier.

J J
Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 AM

I do my bindings that way too and love them. Gives me more time to make more quilts!!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Its an individual preference on whether to hand or machine do things ...I do both if my Carpal Tunnel will allow me to hand quilt I will -otherwise its on the machine!
I also crochet but its 15 minutes at time with a BIG break in between, lol
Old 03-07-2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Highmtn View Post
MaryLane...My local quilting partner in crime is a "binding snob"....lol I love her dearly and don't mind her comments at all.. I just blow raspberries at her when she harasses me! She loves handwork and I have never seen a more lovely invisible appliqué stitch then the one she lays down. She's as fast as a spider spinning a web too. She can hand sew down a queen sized binding in two nights and she loves every stitch. Not me... I do it occasionally...but...we differ on binding theory. When I'm making a quilt for the fair I most definitely machine sew to the front and hand stitch down the back. However, ... when I'm making a quilt for the grand kids or a table runner....anything that I feel will get machine washed frequently I machine stitch the entire binding on. I get them on straight and my corners are true...so I'm happy with that. To echo auntpiggylpn - I also have an old neck injury from a truck wreck back in 1980 and it gets to screaaaaaaaaaaming at me if I do too much handwork where I'm looking at anything like a Robin spies a worm. OUCHIE.. You just have to do what's right for you. Don't let anyone make you feel badly about it... variety makes the world go round. How boring life would be if we ALL did everything the same way. .
Highmtn your reply is not only wonderful but you are a hoot! Thanks for the morning smiles...no raspberries to you my friend! :0) I think that infamous 'Quilt Police' or the lessor spurious 'Quilt Snobs' have never graduated from the Academy of Good Manners. Whatever works for you is where one should find joy in the art/hobby/love of piecing and quilting. It occurs to me that I personally make quilts for those I love, known or unknown, not for judgement of others, professional or self appointed judges. Just my humble assessment.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 03-07-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 AM

Yep. I'm hand-sew-aphobic. My fingers go numb and my wrists ache. Pain lingers weeks after the project is done.

I also do bindings by machine, but, brace yourself, I use single fold binding and sew the front and back at the same time with my quilt binding attachment. Sometimes I use a decorative stitch but usually I use a straight stitch.