Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think the quilt police have my name... >

I think the quilt police have my name...

I think the quilt police have my name...

Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 AM

I do not like handwork either so you are not alone.As for that vendor well that was very rude of them to act like that as the power of the voice can hurt one's business.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 AM

I do everything by machine. I am talking about my trusty sears tabletop. I tried hand work. I could never get it right, the back of my quilt or whatever I was working on was a mess. I was making quilts to be used by family members. I am not a professional. I like how my finished product looks and that's fine with me
Old 03-07-2012, 07:04 AM

I too don't like handiwork, I tried many times, I gave up. I use my trust sears table top sewing machine for everything.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 AM

I used to do it all by hand, but have started to do some machine. I will probably be shifting to that more often.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 AM

Hand sewing is not an opition for me I would have so many holes poked in my fingers, I have tremors that cause this. some times machine sewing is a changle but I won't give in or give up machine sewing/quilting.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:44 AM

[QUOTE=MaryLane;5034868]I am just going to say this up front. I don't like hand sewing and avoid it at all costs. I not only don't like doing it, I am not a real fan of seeing a lot of it.

I do my bindings by machine and love the look. Both of my grandmothers did theirs the same way. Stitch it to the back and roll to the front and top stitch. That is the look I like best. I do sometimes go the other way and stitch in the ditch from the top. It all looks good to me.

At a quilt show last Thursday I was looking at something with my MIL and the vendor commented on how I could use it when I did handwork. I chuckled and said, "I don't do handwork if I can avoid it."

She said, "Except for your bindings, of course."

I said, "No. I do those by machine. I like how they look ."

Ooops time to come out of the closet. I don't dislike handwork but I do my machine pieced, machine quilted quilt bindings the same way. It looks fine, lasts long . It is not that I don't like handwork, I do embroidery. I don't think the binding on quilts is as strong when hand sewn. I like my quilts to be used and used up. So I guess I will join the ranks of weirdo with you. The quilt snobs have already chastised me for saying I make blankies not artwork. To my mind if a quilt is meant to go on a bed and keep you warm then it is a blankie. If it is meant to be treasured and preserved, not used, if it is meant to go on a wall then it is an art quilt. I don't care if I win a prize or all the ooh and ahhs. I just love sitting at my sewing machine and making things for my friends and family. Call me proud to be a weirdo.

Last edited by kellen46; 03-07-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:03 AM

Thumbs up quilt police

I'm with you on hand sewing! I sew my bindings on the machine too. Your sewing from back to front is new to me so I think I'll try it on my next small quilt.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 AM

I have never been able to get the binding on with the machine so it looks nice so I do mine by hand. I am one of those that enjoys the hand sewing . I would never piece a quilt by hand again. Did that way back when, but hand quilting , sure if I have the time and if I think it fits the quilt. But I am trying very hard to learn machine quilting.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 AM

I'm in your camp. I hate handwork and avoid it if at all possible. Even buttons get sewn on by machine, so you won't see any shank buttons on anything of mine unless it was bought with them on.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:05 AM

I do machine bindings. I crochet. How do you think I find the time to do both? People are who they are. Some can be critical, but pay no attention to that. If you are looking for something to be critical about you will find it.