Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want a cutting table!!! >

I want a cutting table!!!

I want a cutting table!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:39 PM

Being a newbie, I thought I could reply to separate replies, guess not.....thanks to all the suggestions. No Onebyone, I don't live in a tent. I do only have my fine dining table, which is what I did initially cut on but I am very afraid of scratching it accidently. My counter top is ceramic tile. I have been doing it on the laminate floor in the spare bedroom which I have taken over as my computer room where I also sew. I would like something portable so when I'm not using I can put it away; I have had the opportunity a couple of times to use discarded pieces of furniture but opted not to because I didn't want the extra furniture in my already crowded room. I do own one of those fold up tables like some of you are talking about which is in my RV. I will get it out and see if that would work for me. I am 5'2", not sure how the height would work. My cutting mat is only an 18 x 24, been waiting to catch a bigger one on sale or that I could use a coupon on, so it would fit fine on that table. Sengell I am 64 also and it is a killer! lol Thanks everyone.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:43 PM

I use a free standing kitchen island that I found someone selling in our community newspaper. But next time I have a good Joann coupon I want to get the cutting table. I want to use it for support during fmq but something that can be easily moved out of the way.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

Another vote here for Joanns table. I love mine because it folds up if needed, lots of room for storage underneath. I have the plastic drawers on wheels for that. My husband put a wooden strip on one end for me to hang rulers, scissors etc on. I use it daily and have a stool to sit on. Save those knees.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:35 PM

My cutting table is from Hancock's and it works well for me. I have to use my living room for cutting and the table folds down to a narrow size that I can push up against wall when I need to. It has two large leaves that open up and wheels, so it's easy to move. I don't know what the Joanne's table is like, but I do like the one from Hancock's. Simple!
Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 PM

I found an end cut of a counter at the local hardware store and then I bought some inexpensive folding legs to put on the countertop. I can use it as a sewing table or add bed risers to use it as a cutting table. When I don't want it I can fold it down and store it. Works for me and was cheap to make.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:51 PM

I have the Jo Ann's table too and I'm perfectly happy with it. I was cutting on the coffee table and that was not good.

My mom sewed when I was growing up and she used the kitchen table. We didn't have roo. For a separate table and she would lay out her fabric, then when it was time to eat she put it away.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:54 PM

Yes, you want/need a cutting table...should not be cutting on the floor. Get the best one you can for the $ you have, or cut on a counter or table, but not down on the floor!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:21 PM

My friend has the cutting table from JoAnn's and it's great! It really gets a workout when the three of us girls get together every other week for a day of quilting!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:21 AM
Swap Hosts

I have a cutting table that I picked up at a quilter's estate sale. It has two sides that fold down, but when they are both open it measures 4' x 8'. My husband put shelves in the middle part so I can keep my rulers and templates there. The best part is that it rolls out of the way when I'm not using it (which seems to be never) It is solid wood with white laminate over it and it came with a full sized mat that I never use. I really didn't want it, but my husband bought it anyway and I am so glad he did.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:41 AM

I also have the cutting table from JoAnn's and love it. Its very sturdy, and I like being able to put the sides down and roll it into a corner when we have company. I do not have a sewing room, so I cut in the living room. Now however my gf has an older one from JoAnn's and it has wooden legs, and she says its not very steady. Mine has the metal legs.